Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car's with spot/ driving lights
jacko

posted on 21/1/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Car's with spot/ driving lights

Has the rules changed about what lights you can have switched on when driving ie not in fog
as there seems to be a lot of cars with either spot /fog or driving lights on and dipped head lights ?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 21/1/15 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Are they not their DRL (daylight running lights) ones you're thinking of? Most modern cars seem to have the direction turning ones too, one illuminating depending on which way you're indicating?
jacko

posted on 21/1/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Are they not their DRL (daylight running lights) ones you're thinking of? Most modern cars seem to have the direction turning ones too, one illuminating depending on which way you're indicating?

Well if they are DRL lights there bloody bright and i thought DRL light switched off when head light where on ? mine do Astra
I have noticed the cars with the indicating on off lights too
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 21/1/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I see quite a few on my trip to work and home with fog lights on, nery often the car in question has a faulty headlight. Also see a couple of cars with no O/S sidelight or headlights that have been like it for weeks, even flashing them on a regular basis they haven't even checked their lights.
coyoteboy

posted on 21/1/15 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing has changed but everyone spots people with them on for turning (supposedly different beams, not convinced) and thinks it's now OK. Drives me nuts. And it seems like in Scotland rain or light snow is seen as a reason to run fogs too. Which is possibly the worst time. And the police all drive past them and do nothing, not even gesturing about it.

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/1/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
NOPE the rules haven't changed, it's just that people DON'T care about the basics of driving laws, AND, Plod doesn't enforce these basic laws any more, which is why people don't care about them any more. It's the same for, reversing onto a main road (ie. out of your drive way), parking within 30ft (about 10 m) of a junction, roundabout etiquette, use of junctions, ...............blah blah

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/1/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
fogs look cool innit wot are the orange flashing ones for dunno crap phone signal in this car just hit biker his fault for riding a bike late for my next hit need MDMA bad
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 21/1/15 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Annual rant! Don't gives a rat ass about fogs at the front as the flat at the top cut off angle usually stops the glare.

But don't get me started about 'kin idiots driving round on parking lights in fog, at dusk and generally any time. Call them markers, call them sides. They are still IDIOTS!!!!

[/rant]

[edited to slightly de-rantify as life's too short ]

[Edited on 21/1/15 by Xtreme Kermit]

snakebelly

posted on 22/1/15 at 03:52 AM Reply With Quote
And just as bad are the wank?!s who drive in clear conditions with there rear fog lights on because they forgot to turn them off after using them 2 weeks ago!

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Very few cars have driving or spot lights.

Lots of cars however have fog lights, i.e. lights mounted below bumper level that have a spread beam.

Cars now have become Christmas trees and seem to have all sorts of lights hanging from them.
It seems that it's the only way that designers can make their cars the faintest bit individual.

As for rear fogs, on my car they can't be left on ( VW ) as the switch is the last step on the headlights switch.
I have in the past switched on my rear fog for a few seconds to remind them, usually a tailgater, they are
blasting me with their fogs. They normally respond by turning on main beam as they don't know what fog
lights are.
Naughty I know, but I dream of owning an old Landy with an RSJ bumper fitted so I can brake test 'em.

I knew a bloke once that said he only used indicators on a roundabout if there was a car behind him.
That's the sort of thing your up against nowadays.

Rant over.
Paul G

[Edited on 22/1/15 by 907]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/1/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Rear fogs are the worse, so so so many people drive around with them on and either have no idea what the bright orange light is on the dash or they don't care.... I usually pass them and look on their dash, I can see the orange light why cant they !!!

Our Astra has auto lights and I can switch the fogs on individually. If the headlights are off, but I press fog light buttons it makes the headlights come on too.

Fog lights really shouldn't be used till you visibility is bad, so many people jump to turn the fog lights on even in the slightest bit of fog (we get quite a bit down this end).

Rain is definitely the worse, can see anything when the idiot in front has fogs on.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slimy38

posted on 22/1/15 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

I knew a bloke once that said he only used indicators on a roundabout if there was a car behind him.

Unfortunately I also know people who do this because they misinterpreted something in the highway code. Its says something about not needing to indicate if no one can benefit from it, but as you describe it then means you're relying on the driver thinking who wants to know. And if that means only when someone is behind them, then that's your bloke.

Personally I indicate even if I'm the only person for miles, it's just easier to always indicate than have to add one more thought process.

posted on 22/1/15 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Unfortunately I also know people who do this because they misinterpreted something in the highway code. Its says something about not needing to indicate if no one can benefit from it, but as you describe it then means you're relying on the driver thinking who wants to know. And if that means only when someone is behind them, then that's your bloke.

Personally I indicate even if I'm the only person for miles, it's just easier to always indicate than have to add one more thought process.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than to approach a roundabout, stop to give way to a car on the roundabout,
only to have them turn into the road that I am stationary in.

Had they have given a turn left signal I wouldn't have needed to stop.
Roundabouts are supposed to be about keeping traffic flowing.

Paul G

BenB

posted on 22/1/15 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but even if they are indicating to turn into the road it's best not to assume they're going to turn. Too many people have absolutely no idea how to indicate on a roundabout and I had a number of situations at our nearest roundabout where a car indicating to turn into the road I was joining from carried on round the roundabout to go straight on- well they were going to pull left at some point weren't they..... If I'd assumed they were going to do what they were indicating I'd have had about five crashes in the last four months.

Worst of all is people driving in town at night without headlights on. Sometimes you can see they're using a mobile as a GPS/speedo but quite clearly some of them just aren't and are just not monitoring their speed in any way whatsoever. So they are likely speeding, in the dark with no headlights on. If they are that unobservant I worry about someone crossing the road who doesn't spot their "stealth" car. Its' especially problematic now that councils are dimming streetlights to save money! In one working week on my 20 minute drive home I counted three cars driving in the opposite direction without any lights on at all in the pitch black. Idiots.

slingshot2000

posted on 22/1/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
And just as bad are the wank?!s who drive in clear conditions with there rear fog lights on because they forgot to turn them off after using them 2 weeks ago!

Yes, this should carry the death penalty !

David Jenkins

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Yes but even if they are indicating to turn into the road it's best not to assume they're going to turn.

I was taught early on that the only thing that indicators show with 100% certainty is that the bulb is working! The intent behind the flashing light is a mystery until the driver does something.

sssline

posted on 22/1/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Yes but even if they are indicating to turn into the road it's best not to assume they're going to turn.

I was taught early on that the only thing that indicators show with 100% certainty is that the bulb is working! The intent behind the flashing light is a mystery until the driver does something.

Defensive driver training through work said exactly the same thing, and recommended not indicating to make the other drivers think.. What's he going to do... Also drive in the middle or outside lane whenever possible, reverse park, beep horn when pulling away from a parking space.... And some good stuff on vanishing points etc in amongst a load of other random things...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swkitcars/

posted on 22/1/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
But surely there's a difference between an indicator being lit and seeing an indicator first flash at the previous exit.

If no one signals anywhere, or we ignore any signal that another driver makes, then we just sit at the junction
until the road is deserted. Nobody would get anywhere.

Paul G

morcus

posted on 23/1/15 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the above about not indicating, I almost always indicate but people indicating incorrectly is a serious issue at my Bristol address where I frequently see people indicating left for a junction I walk past every day, but from so far away there's two streets on the left first and I've seen a few near misses as a result, almost had a serious accident myself over in fishponds on a cross road from the same thing, under normal conditions I'd have completely ignored the indicator any way but I was completely blocking the road they seemed to be signalling they wanted to come down.

As a disabled person and an avid pedestrian I actually find bad indication far more annoying when I'm on foot, there seem to be huge numbers of people who don't seem to realise the thing about not indicating if there is no one to see it doesn't just apply to road traffic and will turn without indicating even though people are there who will be crossing the street, again far worse in Bristol where you can't walk anywhere without crossing roads all the time.

Back to the original point car lights seem to be getting much whiter, and not just main beams but side lights and DRLs so that might be part of the problem, but I agree with what seems to be the consensus that it's just people being stupid and the police aren't stopping people to tell them off anymore.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 23/1/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I'd agree with the above about not indicating, I almost always indicate but people indicating incorrectly is a serious issue at my Bristol address where I frequently see people indicating left for a junction I walk past every day, but from so far away there's two streets on the left first and I've seen a few near misses as a result, almost had a serious accident myself over in fishponds on a cross road from the same thing, under normal conditions I'd have completely ignored the indicator any way but I was completely blocking the road they seemed to be signalling they wanted to come down.

As a disabled person and an avid pedestrian I actually find bad indication far more annoying when I'm on foot, there seem to be huge numbers of people who don't seem to realise the thing about not indicating if there is no one to see it doesn't just apply to road traffic and will turn without indicating even though people are there who will be crossing the street, again far worse in Bristol where you can't walk anywhere without crossing roads all the time.

Back to the original point car lights seem to be getting much whiter, and not just main beams but side lights and DRLs so that might be part of the problem, but I agree with what seems to be the consensus that it's just people being stupid and the police aren't stopping people to tell them off anymore.

What morcus said about indication and pedestrians. Drivers seem to instantly forget they used to be pedestrians.

David Jenkins

posted on 23/1/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I think manufacturers have decided that indicators are irrelevant... some of the most modern cars have rubbish indicators that are barely visible. Smaller VAG cars are awful, especially Volkswagen when they put the indicator in the middle of the stop light - when the driver stands on the brake you can't see the indicator. The big Audi and VWs have tremendous lights, but not the smaller models. Vauxhalls aren't much better. Mercedes have incredibly superb indicators!

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Audi, BMW and Mercedes drivers never use indicators anyhow so what's the sense in fitting decent ones?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.