Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shire wooden garage
Hodor

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Shire wooden garage

Anybody any experience of buying or building a wooden garage from Shire, as sold by B&Q and others? Wondered what they are like to build, how long does it take and if possible for doing mainly on my own. A PDF instruction manual would be perfect.

linky

02GF74

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me expecting this to be about a garage for hobbits?

YQUSTA

posted on 26/1/15 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
1 year guarantee would put me off though i have no experience of the quality of those ones there are others on the market for a better price with 10 year anti rot. like this

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

Hodor

posted on 26/1/15 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Good spot. They do offer same thing with 10 year anti rot guarantee here. Guessing it's treated, or crap website that is just inconsistent.

Other option is concrete panelled pre fab like this and the beauty of it is that some guy puts it up for ya for pretty much the same price as above.

Think I'd prefer the looks of the wooden one though.

Christ, I'm fantasising about garages ffs.

mark chandler

posted on 26/1/15 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I would not expect much at that price TBH, better off spending £2000 and scratch building.

You need to allow a chunk for a decent base as well as 4m x 6m will consume a few tons of concrete for a decent base + type 1 compacted under it with a bit of mesh thrown in so an extra £300.

YQUSTA

posted on 26/1/15 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hodor
Christ, I'm fantasising about garages ffs.

Nothing wrong with that, we are trying to buy a house and many are instantly dismissed because of garage length.

I would much prefer to be in your position being able to build one, I also agree the wood ones look much better.

Building your own would be the best option if you can.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

samjc

posted on 26/1/15 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
As mark says the base is a big chunk of cash. Why does it need to be temporary or prefab ? Not just do a concrete block build ? Ive built a wooden garage/huge workshop shed when i was younger with mates at looked great. Priced and planned at 2k for base and timber all supplied via bnq but a mates dad pointed out a local timber yard hiden away in an industrial estate that supplied all timber and concrete paving slabs for the base that we screed concreted over for under 1.2k plus 90% was precut ready for us.
ashg

posted on 27/1/15 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't buy anything that is not pressure treated/tanalized. my little shed wasn't and i had to paint it every year to keep it nice and damp free.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

JeffHs

posted on 27/1/15 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just a gentle word of warning. I wanted to replace my crappy old concrete garage with a nice self-built wooden one. Building control would not allow it because it was too close to the boundary for fire regs.
JacksAvon

posted on 27/1/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, avoid Shire Timber, I used to work for them and am well aware of their standards.

For the base you are looking at around 3 cubic metres of concrete on a well tamped base

Concrete base, 3 metres x 5 metres at 200mm deep = 3 x cubic metres of concrete, possibly around £400 now.

Still best to scratch build for quality.

I used cacassing to make the frames
Covered that with breathable damp proof membrane
Used tongue and groove on the out side
More damp proof membrane on the inside, stuffed with loft insulation
Covered that with fireproof plasterboard.

Canted roof
Used sheets of OSB
3 x layer felt roof
filled the void with insulation
Covered with damp proof membrane then fireproof plasterboard.

Very toasty in there now

Matt21

posted on 27/1/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just last week me and my father built a wooden garage at one of his properties.

It took the two of us a day to get the main structure built from scratch, 5meters by 2.4meters, pitched roof
in two days the whole this was completed including felted roof, shiplap walls, electrics and fully painted

cost around £500-600, to built a 14x15ft one with a few windows etc I would say no more than £1000

paying £2000 would give me nightmares!

and no, neither of us are joiners.... far from it!

Hodor

posted on 27/1/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. Did either of you gents take photos of your builds? Did you have a rough design to follow our did you wing it? I've built a woodshed from back of a fag packet but this is slightly more complex.
steve m

posted on 27/1/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
my shed is a b&q one, and been in the back garden for 8 years, looks very tired,
thinking of going down the metal route !

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

mark chandler

posted on 27/1/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
This is my shed, hope the link works

https://picasaweb.google.com/102680160261680183167/201410032#slideshow/6074942931641035154

https://picasaweb.google.com/102680160261680183167/20141101

I got an oak frame Made up, cost £££ but could have done cheaply with pressure treated wood aka Tommy Walsh, then clad and stuck a roof on, second hand tiles and doors from the local salvage yard, just googled how to do it.

Took quite a bit of time but a great result.

Roofing is easy, just set out a decent gauge and get on with it

[Edited on 27/1/15 by mark chandler]

Rosco86

posted on 27/1/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
my shed is a b&q one, and been in the back garden for 8 years, looks very tired,
thinking of going down the metal route !

I no a chap with a metal shed and its like a bean tin and it just condensates on the inside, he hates it!

I self built my garage last summer, concrete base with steel mesh, concrete block walls then rendered, grp roof, loads better than felt, cost me about £1500 but i did do it all my self

Hodor

posted on 27/1/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just been looking on Youtube at garage builds - brick, wood, breeze block. Looks like a lot of effort for just myself if I'm going to be honest, not having masses of free time. There is a high risk of it being only half finished by the time winter comes. Need to think carefully about building my own.

I too heard the metal ones don't breath and condense on the inside. Saying that, I live in a metal house - made in a shipyard like you would build a ship - bolted metal panels together (used to be the police station, after 1st world war the ship yards made public buildings like this). It's framed out on the inside with insulation and a vapour barrier under the drywall. Skin of brick and lathe on outside so you'd never know. And when we need to hang a picture up we can just use magnets. Crap phone signal mind you.

samjc

posted on 27/1/15 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you based hodor ? As im extendung my breeze garage on my own at around 1.2m by 10m and changing to a pitched roof (if planning permision allows) be happy to help for a few beer tokens and a plenty of warm teas haha. Its all a case of figuring the size you want what youll be doing in it and how much you have to spend. Plans can be copied from other designs and builds. As above use treated timber i did a garage in treated but a huge shed in no treated and the maintenance diffrence is terrible.
Hodor

posted on 28/1/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'm up in West Lothian, so not so convenient - Thanks for the offer though. Must admit, it is a bit daunting to commit to building it. Probably be ok once in to it mind.
Hodor

posted on 5/2/15 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Found this YouTube of the log cabin style build. All pre cut, just self assembly then treat. log cabin style garage

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.