Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: headphones whilst driving?
David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Protecting your ears from excessive noise is a must, as many of us on here probably suffer from tinnitus to one degree or another and it's not funny and that's why it's known as the "suicide disease" as many who get it contemplate ending it all in the first twelve months of contracting the condition.

I should add that, despite my earlier comments, that I do always use some form of ear protection when I'm out in the Locost - ear plugs as a minimum, but usually full ear defenders. I do suffer from a little bit of tinnitus, probably caused during the time when I used to do full-bore pistol and rifle shooting (I did wear ear defenders when shooting, but there were a small number of occasions when I'd taken them off before people had finished shooting*). If I was stopped because of them, I'd just suggest that they ask one of their police bike riders about the effect of wind noise on their hearing...

However, I can hear a lot of sounds from traffic and the like, which I may not if I'm listening to music through headphones.

* As an aside - how is it that film actors don't even blink when they shoot a gun indoors? It's so loud it really HURTS!

james h

posted on 24/2/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
Protecting your ears from excessive noise is a must, as many of us on here probably suffer from tinnitus to one degree or another and it's not funny and that's why it's known as the "suicide disease" as many who get it contemplate ending it all in the first twelve months of contracting the condition.

I should add that, despite my earlier comments, that I do always use some form of ear protection when I'm out in the Locost - ear plugs as a minimum, but usually full ear defenders. I do suffer from a little bit of tinnitus, probably caused during the time when I used to do full-bore pistol and rifle shooting (I did wear ear defenders when shooting, but there were a small number of occasions when I'd taken them off before people had finished shooting*). If I was stopped because of them, I'd just suggest that they ask one of their police bike riders about the effect of wind noise on their hearing...

However, I can hear a lot of sounds from traffic and the like, which I may not if I'm listening to music through headphones.

* As an aside - how is it that film actors don't even blink when they shoot a gun indoors? It's so loud it really HURTS!

I quickly learned to keep ear defenders FULLY on while lying prone next to a shooter with a muzzle brake on his rifle... Now I think about it, I'm wondering if that is why my left ear is better than my right...

adithorp

posted on 24/2/15 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Think the answer is, most of them do. I saw an interview with one of Hollywood's leading armourers. He said he'd only ever worked with 2 actors who didn't blink when they fired... Clint Eastwood and Yul Brynner

Back on topic... I always use foam ear plugs in the Fury.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coyoteboy

posted on 24/2/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Was once tuning a car with a carbon fibre intake (two-piece item). Car backfired into the intake with the throttle shut and split the carbon from end to end with something of a loud bang. Took me a good week to regain some lost frequency ranges and it did nothing to help my existing tinnitus! Didn't blink when that went pop but I think more out of surprise than Clint-style awesomeness.

[Edited on 24/2/15 by coyoteboy]

Matt21

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ive tried it twice, once in the indy on a blast out and once in my daily to get some music on I wanted

and I have to say, neither time lasted more than 10minutes before I took them out

I absolutely hated it, I felt dangerous.
I didn't have anything loud on but theyre noise cancelling and it felt like I had a box on my head and all my senses were gone, weird I know.
I like to hear whats going on around me and be aware of everything that's going on.

Im sure there was something recently about the legalities of it too

froggy

posted on 24/2/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have an autocom system in my car for track days and have a pair of practise headsets which I use on long journeys with a passenger . no idea on legality but I've been stopped whilst wearing them and it wasn't mentioned , I do wonder what I look like as my car doesnt look remotely sporty .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

coyoteboy

posted on 25/2/15 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I didn't have anything loud on but theyre noise cancelling and it felt like I had a box on my head and all my senses were gone, weird I know.

Funny that, I find the opposite. Lose a sense (useless sense, hearing stuff isn't going to help in almost any situation that isn't already covered by vision) and you can concentrate more on the others which are more useful.

IanSouthLincs

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I used to do this a lot before I had a car with bluetooth hands free a few years ago. Used to play music through my iphone with the benefit of the phones already being there for calls too. I used Sennheiser CX400 in ear ones that have really good noise cancelling properties. It was in a tin top, not an open top car but I found it absolutely fine. However my other half tried using headphones and she couldn't stand it, had similar experience to that Matt21 mentioned.
daveb83

posted on 2/4/15 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
i have used in ear headphones while driving my MK under my helmet, but I only have them in if using a sat nav so i can hear directions without having to take eyes off the road.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.