Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheapest transport option (with conditions...)
Irony

posted on 10/3/15 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
My other half has retrained as a child minder so she can look after our little un as well as other peoples. Hopefully if she might be able to earn some sort of income from home. I am getting a bit bored of being skint.
Dingz

posted on 10/3/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried one of those Dutch bikes but with a fat bloke in it (it is his bike!) it is VERY hard work and the steering is awful!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/3/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
I think its generally accepted you can expect to die once in general.

Each to their own, but personally i've seen three serious bike accidents (one fatal), and two people knocked off push bikes in my 11 years of driving. And yes, I have a push bike and a bike license (rode for 10 years before having kids), but i don't think its where children belong.

Why take the risk?

Anyway, its too bl**dy cold at the moment for cycling

Yeah I'm just saying the perception is considerably worse than the fact. For example I've seen in the order of a hundred car accidents, a couple of them fatal. I've seen no bike accidents despite about two decades of city and country riding. You really have to rely on the stats, not personal experience unless you have specific local knowledge of an area.

02GF74

posted on 10/3/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
[quote/]
Yep, you can expect to die once in 29 million miles of cycling according to the latest stats. Tough odds to deal with!

I should be safe for a few more years then!

I wouldnt be so sure.

There is around 1 m people who cycle to work every day. Lets say their journey is 2 miles each way.

So each week = 1 m x 2 x 2 x5 = 40 m.

From the above stats, at least one will have been killed. It could be you.

I wonder what the figure is for cars?

More die in car accidents but the distances travelled are far greater.

jps

posted on 11/3/15 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off on the maths, 1 m x 2 x 2 x5 = 20 m so it's more like 1 death every 10 days....

But I get your point, a quick Google turns up a Guardian article from 2012 stating that cycling is close to pedestrianing in the deaths per mile stakes. Motorcyclists worse off than both, car drivers 'safer' than all of them. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/28/road-deaths-great-britain-data

There's an interesting "how we die" graphic here: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits of cycling (I.e. a bit of exercise) outweigh/prevent some of the many other things that might finish me off..

Irony

posted on 12/3/15 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Milk Float
coyoteboy

posted on 12/3/15 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
round 1 m people who cycle to work every day. Lets say their journey is 2 miles each way.

So each week = 1 m x 2 x 2 x5 = 40 m.

From the above stats, at least one will have been killed. It could be you.

I wonder what the figure is for cars?

More die in car accidents but the distances travelled are far greater.

You're just making numbers up now! Why 2 miles? Why assume that all cycling people are commuters?

In 2011 3.1 billion miles were covered by cyclists. 118 deaths. Something like 3000 serious injuries.

If you look at some of the meta data studies you'll see cycling is one of the safest forms of transport, it's an order of magnitude safer than driving for example:

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/risk/transporttrav.html

Edited to fix dodgy link

[Edited on 12/3/15 by coyoteboy]

jps

posted on 7/4/15 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thought i'd throw in an update - I have bought one of these:http://www.amsterdammers.co.uk/batavus/pdf/specBatavusCambridge.pdf (for the princely sum of £110 from these chaps http://www.re-cycle.org/)

And have ordered one of these: http://www.asadventure.co.uk/yepp-child-seat-yepp-maxi-easyfit-A414C12001?channel_code=544&id_colour=2374&product_code=78465716&utm_medium =google_uk&utm_source=catalogue_shop&gclid=Cj0KEQjwgI6pBRDak6aRovWNqLsBEiQA8zZSLoC0mN47qCIJhXM1k7B_4M0qAhF39xBcdzbX568f46IaAiow8P8HAQ

And will report back in due course!

coyoteboy

posted on 9/4/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Nicely done, cheap, fuel from all you can eat cakes because you deserve it!

jps

posted on 14/3/16 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Felt compelled to look this thread up, as the Puma conked out today (and with me needing to do the nursery run this evening...).

The Dutch bike & child seat combo has proved perfect for ferrying my son about in the village we live in, but on the one occasion I took him the 4 miles to nursery it ended with him screaming all the way home (didn't like the stiff breeze after a long day I think), so I've stuck with the car.

So I checked out taxi price today, it'd cost me £16 a day if I went with taxi, so just over £700 a year!! Car not looking like such an extravagant expense any more!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.