Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Video from a drone
Matt21

posted on 28/3/15 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Video from a drone

My dad has recently bought himself a DJI Phantom drone so we went out for a little play to test it out.
Unfortunately my MK was off the road at the time so I had to use my daily

Mines the red BMW, the 205 is my brothers

https://youtu.be/-GFjCcEwSxE

Cant wait to get out and get some shots of the MK!!

I cant figure out how to get the video to display on the post

[Edited on 28/3/15 by Matt21]

unijacko67

posted on 28/3/15 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, that's ace. Blyton Park would be a good test for it.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 28/3/15 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant bit of flying - in the car too

What drone is it, pic quality is great.

ATB

Simon

BenB

posted on 28/3/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice. I'm currently building my fourth quadcopter (the other 3 are still working fine but this one is bigger and able to carry a camera) and am starting on aerial videography. I guess the question is- should a quadcopter filmed scene make it obvious it's filmed from a quadcopter as opposed to, for example, a boom camera or a crane hoist? Too often there's a "zooming-into-the-sky vertically" end shot to make it obvious it's a quad or unnecessary weaving between trees for the same purpose. I'm undecided! Flying round things from a bit of height gives a unique viewpoint and is somewhat more subtle. But nose-in hovering a quad takes serious practice!

There's a good Flitetest episode of quadcopter videography that's worth a shoofty.

coozer

posted on 28/3/15 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, how does the remote control work?

I'm wondering if its possible to set to so it maintains the same height and distance, ie, get it up in the air, go for a blast and will it follow you along the road.

Obviously not going along at 80 or anything git fast!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Thatcher

posted on 28/3/15 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Great Vid, Well done guys......
adithorp

posted on 28/3/15 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good but I wonder where you'd stand legally if the police happened along while you were doing that.

There was a discussion about drone use at trackdays on pistonheads a while back... HERE

Blyton here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJG-mN42OME

[Edited on 28/3/15 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

BenB

posted on 28/3/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Doubt they'd do anything considering Team Black Sheep were just told off for doing this:

.....which considering how twitchy the police with machine guns are around the House of Commons is saying something. If it was in protected air space etc etc it would be prohibited (such as the one above) but otherwise they'd have to prove breach of an air navigation order (ANO). If it's for commercial gain it's all change and if it's FPV then there are regulations about how far away the quadcopter (I refuse to use the term "drone" can be....

BigFaceDave

posted on 28/3/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
My dads just bought a thing for sharpening chisels! Something tells me your dad might be a bit cooler than mine!
SPYDER

posted on 28/3/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing music video, shot from a drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZB_rGFyeU

Matt21

posted on 28/3/15 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
the drone is a DJI Phantom 2 vision plus.
You can get one that you mount your gopro too as well, but this has the camera built in

as for the remote, you can fly it manually or pre-program a flight path into it, which we still need to test out.
When the wind dies down hes going to try flying it from his house to mine by programming the flight into it.

Im pretty sure you can set it to follow you too, but dont quote me on that.

Hes got a few other videos uploaded too which are worth a watch

And legalities.... its all quite legal, there are a certain few laws you have to follow which hes aware of, im not, I know it has to be flown 50m away from persons out of your control and from buildings that arent yours. So aslong as your 50m+ high your ok!
We had it at 300m altitude the other day and you literally cannot see it! It can go to 1000m too but hes not that brave yet!
The view from 300 is great!

BenB

posted on 29/3/15 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
It's worthwhile checking that you're not in controlled airspace if you're going high- there are quite a few flying clubs (full size) in operation which will have mean there will be restrictions in place. Can't recall if the DJI Phantom 2 vision plus has an FPV screen- I seem to recall it does. Certainly by 1000M it's going to be so small it will be invisible so it better do. Trouble is legally it's max 1000ft altitude via FPV.

The local plod won't be bothered if you're flying but the CAA sure will if there's a Phantom vs small aircraft incident. Worth checking.

People just don't understand the risks. One of my acquaintances put a video on youtube of him flying a r/c plane above the clouds in central london IE bang in the middle of the London Control Zone. The plane was 2000ft plus. So dangerous when you consider the height helicopters fly at particularly police helicopters... Regardless of weight the ANO means you can't be doing anything which puts others at risk so breach of ANO. What's the maximum penalty?

morcus

posted on 29/3/15 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure when they had the UAV problem over Paris earlier this year the BBC report the maximum penalty for breaking the laws was prison. I would imagine there will be changes in the law very soon as camera equipped devices are becoming popular and many people are operating outside of the law already as they're pretty much illegal in built up areas.

I know a few people who work with these kind of things (And a few people in the CAA) and I'm pretty sure you need to always have line of sight to remain with in the law, but I'm not sure if that means you literally have to be able to see it.

Awesome video though. I wish they'd replace some of the police helicopters with these things.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

02GF74

posted on 29/3/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

Awesome video though. I wish they'd replace some of the police helicopters with these things.

Dont give the police/ goverment ideas. We are surveyed and monitored enough by cctv, anpr, mob phone calls and internet usage.

It is getting more like 1984.

morcus

posted on 29/3/15 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've been back in Filton 3 weeks now and been woken up almost every night by police helicopters, UAV's are so much quieter. I don't want more surveillance, just fewer helicopters.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Matt21

posted on 31/3/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
There is set 'no-fly' zones built into the firmware, it just doesn't allow you to fly in them at all.
I'm not sure what areas are covered but looking on the map on the screen teesside airport is one of them!

welderman

posted on 31/3/15 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
cool, I wanted one last year and things have moved on a fair bit. I found this when I was searching at buying one.

Blackpool been there many times as its only 30 min from me.

https://youtu.be/i8bOJDLnBjU

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

David Jenkins

posted on 31/3/15 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
It's worthwhile checking that you're not in controlled airspace if you're going high- there are quite a few flying clubs (full size) in operation which will have mean there will be restrictions in place. Can't recall if the DJI Phantom 2 vision plus has an FPV screen- I seem to recall it does. Certainly by 1000M it's going to be so small it will be invisible so it better do. Trouble is legally it's max 1000ft altitude via FPV.

The local plod won't be bothered if you're flying but the CAA sure will if there's a Phantom vs small aircraft incident. Worth checking.

People just don't understand the risks. One of my acquaintances put a video on youtube of him flying a r/c plane above the clouds in central london IE bang in the middle of the London Control Zone. The plane was 2000ft plus. So dangerous when you consider the height helicopters fly at particularly police helicopters... Regardless of weight the ANO means you can't be doing anything which puts others at risk so breach of ANO. What's the maximum penalty?

This page might be useful... multirotor rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.