Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone recommend me a family BMW
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/5/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
anyone recommend me a family BMW

Hi,

I'm fancying a change and want to go back to rwd and have a hankering for a bmw as I generally like the shape of them and they seem decently well made.

I don't have much money to spend on one and tbh know feck all about bmw models but the basics would be -

1) around 2ltrs
2) 4 doors (I have 2 kids)
3) standard size and shape (i.e. much like my bluebird, no 4x4's or mpvs...)
4) prefer a hatch back
5) must be a petrol
6) not interested in turbo's or super fast versions
7) can tow a trailer
8) up to 10 - 15 years old would be fine
9) good spares and not to difficult to work on as I'll be doing the servicing

Can someone who knows about these cars recommend me a sensible model/s to look at?

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigFaceDave

posted on 10/5/15 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I buy and sell a few cars and also break a few and sell the bits on eBay and I have broken a few E36's and whenever possible I have driven them for a little while,if I can to check everything work and I have to say I am a big fan, there easy (well easier than some at least!) to work on and pretty well made ive had a few E46's too and they are also very nice although I would say that the build quality isn't quite as good as the E36's but some may disagree just my 2p's worth. My personally favourite was a 328 sport and it was probably one of the nicest cars ive ever had but was pretty bad on fuel but 320's will be better im sure. They either don't seem to rust to badly or are as rotten as a pair and with the ones I've had through there doesn't seem to be much in between there either pretty good or bad. I have seen more rust in the E46's but there still plenty of good ones to be had.
ettore bugatti

posted on 10/5/15 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
E46 325i Touring or E39 528i/530i Touring would be worth a look, specially in SE spec. Shouldn't cost you more than 1500 pounds. Dodgier ones can be found from 800 pounds.

Overlooked by the boyracers, find a low owner one with good service history and you have a winner.

Ebay is full of E46/E39 parts and on youtube you can find pretty much every job you ever want to undertake on a BMW. Easy to work on too.
Parts supply from the BMW dealer is good too.

The six cylinders are so smooth and creamy, it is worth considering. You wont get that much more MPG from a smaller 4 cylinder in the same body.
Fuel consumpution is very similiar for the six cylinders so dont rule out an x30i either.

I get 33mpg from my 323i e46 in town and on A-roads, on long motor ways this goes up to 38mpg.

morcus

posted on 10/5/15 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted something similar last time I was buying a car but time wasn't on my side so I ended up with a Vectra (Which does all the rest but is obviously FWD) and think it's a shame that you can't really get a big RWD Hatch back (Except for some very recent and very Niche cars like the 3 series GT).

I'd be looking at an E39 5 series Estate as I think its one of the best looking cars BMW ever made and I found it really comfortable on my brief experience of test driving one. Some people might find it a bit big though.

Does it have to be a BMW? I'm not sure what they'd cost but there are a few Japanese options as well as Jags and Mercs which will hit most of your other requirements (I cam close to going for an S-Type but I needed a car I could move a lot of boxes with and the saloon only boot was too small).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

chrisj

posted on 10/5/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you really want a BMW go for the 5 series pre run flats. Budget £150 per corner for these round pieces of marble every 15 to 20k. The rear room isn't great and the idrive whilst improving in the latest model is all over the shop in the early models.

I've had a V70 - Great apart from the cost of parts and an issue with the throttle body and a software issue which was finally resolved by a worldwide recall.

The A6 2.5 v6 estate I had was brilliant for load lugging (if a little thirsty) and if you can get over the FWD is the best of the estates in the age scale you have given. The 1.9tdi was the best, particularly a red I which was economical, chippable and bullet proof.

Any Mercedes IMHO in the early 2000's suffered from build, design and reliability issues and are best resolved by avoiding 2002 - 2005 models.

Good luck

myke pocock

posted on 10/5/15 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Small family????

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww w.isettatech.com%2FFAQText.html&ei=0tVPVYmnMIvzUqOugeAB&bvm=bv.92885102,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNGMzrdT7vf66vyVGaK_TSGLFENT-w&ust=143138182081 6704

DIY Si

posted on 10/5/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I got myself my 51 plate 330i Touring (estate to non-BMW folk), with 75K on it for £2250 two years ago, and it's brilliant. Room for just about anything in it, leather interior (wipe clean for my 2.5 year old) and it goes fairly well too! It's big and comfy when the little ones is about, but small enough to make full use of the 3 litre engine when he's not. Servicing is cheap, but the 18" Avon's it runs on aren't. Equally, for the grip they're not badly priced.

It does average 27mpg though, but I tend to only ever do short rural trips of <8miles so it's hardly indicative. I have had it as low as 22.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/5/15 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys

Been looking at some 3 series saloons that apart from the pathetic sized boot seem to be spot on, don't like style of the estate though

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ken555

posted on 11/5/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with BMW's but saw you pass through Oldmeldrum on Saturday.

But have you considered a Lexus IS200 Sport ?

[Edited on 11-5-15 by ken555]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.