Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: someone driving a car registered in my name
morcus

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
someone driving a car registered in my name

I've just finished phoning call centers to sort out a problem and it turns out someone's been driving a car I used to own but registered to me still.

I was sent a fine for not paying the Dartford toll in April for a car written off in February (in cumbria) and when I phoned them up I learnt that it had happened 4 times that month. I called the DVLA who informed me it was still registered to me. I've since informed the police in case they're still using the car and contacted my insurer to find out what happened but they said they would have to find the file and Call me back. The police said they'd make a note and stop the car if it was seen.

Just in case it is still being used, if you spot a dark blue Astra, registration DN11 YXH please report it to the police.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

stevebubs

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have you formally informed the DVLA that it's no longer in your possession?
morcus

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I am in the process of doing that. When the car was written off I was told by my insurance company that they would inform the DVLA and that I didn't have to do anything, obviously that wasnt what happened.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

r1_pete

posted on 23/6/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The insurers don't tell you this, but it is still your responsibility to inform DVLA in this circumstance:

From - http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/vehicle_registration/9954.html

Total loss payment for your vehicle

If your insurance company decides to write off your vehicle, you must hand over the vehicle to them in return for a total loss payment.

You'll need to:
•complete the V5C/3 Notification of sale or transfer section of your registration certificate and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD
•give the remainder of the registration certificate to the insurance company

Your insurer may ask you for the whole registration certificate, which they'll complete for you and send to DVLA.

If this happens, write to DVLA to be sure your name is removed from the record. Give the date you passed the vehicle to the insurance company and details of their name and address and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BR.

If your vehicle has not been scrapped and you choose to keep the salvage, you should be in possession of the V5C.

Your vehicle may also need a Vehicle Identity Check before it can be used on the road again.

[Edited on 23/6/15 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oddified

posted on 23/6/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Your old car may well have been scrapped but some scumbag is using the reg plate/number on another vehicle. Seems to be quite a common crime these days

Ian

bi22le

posted on 23/6/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I live nearby and cross the bridge quite often, ill keep an eye out!

The chances of spotting it and then being able to do something about it is tiny.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

obfripper

posted on 24/6/15 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect you have checked, but your old car is mot'd(within the last month), taxed and insured, so they either have the v5 new owners slip to tax, your old complete v5, or have somehow got it registered in their name without removing you as the owner.

If it was a cat c, it would have had a vic check, and a new v5 would have been issued by dvla to be able to tax it.
If it was cat d, a new v5 would have to be applied for anyway before taxing.
Only if it was unrecorded, and the insurance company passed on your complete v5, would they be able to tax it while in your name.
Your insurance company should have put the vehicle "in the trade" when they took it from your possesion, which should have stopped any of this trouble.

Have you got the ref no from your old v5?
If you have, try the mot history website, it will list all the mot stations that have mot'd the car, and their phone numbers.
Give the recent one a ring and find out who presented it for mot/ paid for it.

The police should be able to look up who is insuring the car presently, your insurance company may also be able to do this, but i doubt that they will share this information willingly.

If you do find who it is, they may be none the wiser as to what is going on, as it may be a dodgy car seller that has tricked them into buying essentially an unregistered car, but you can at least tell the dvla who it is.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.