Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone recommend a good jump start portable device
BenB

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone recommend a good jump start portable device

So I'm in need of a portable jump start for (as the name suggests) jump starting a couple of cars and also to power the 12V LED strip lights in my new garage as it doesn't have electricity and it's kind of useful to have lighting.

Obviously there are cheap as chips efforts on Ebay but if they haven't got the oomph to start the cars (including a diesel) they're not much cop.

Machine Mart jump start packs seem to have a good reputation- anyone tried one and if so how did it fare?

I'm considering a Jump Start 900 as I'm not keen on spending ££££

Any opinions? Any other recommendations peeps?

ravingfool

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with the tiny ones on ebay unless someone can recommend you one specifically.

I bought one a little while ago to try it. I doubted it would really be sufficient to start a car but if it did, I thought that would be a great thing to leave in the back of a kit car...

Sadly as expected whilst it provided plenty of power for charging various items and running minor electrics for several weeks (I just left it in my garage which also doesn't have power) it didn't have the oomph required to jump start a car despite their claims.

dilley

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Locostbuilders style, buy a decent battery, build a box with a handle and get some decent jump leads.....
HowardB

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dilley
Locostbuilders style, buy a decent battery, build a box with a handle and get some decent jump leads.....

Agreed, I used a smallish car battery with a tiny external solar charger for a long time.

the panel was a 10w one from Maplin that was on offer for £10
the battery was from the kit when I fitted the 25Ah red top.

jump leads made from some spare cable,.. all very low cost and handy when there is no mains

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Ivan

posted on 2/7/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Why lug around heavy/bulky batteries when you could "Locost???" something like this. And it's quick to re-charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM

[Edited on 2/7/15 by Ivan]

rusty nuts

posted on 2/7/15 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have any power in my lock up, I use a large car battery , in fact I have 2 and an inverter to power 2 x 5ft strip lights . I just take a battery home to charge although I have been thinking about a cheap solar panel since fitting a decent one on my motorhome
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/7/15 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
The 'race' solution works for me, on and off the track.

Commercial (Land Rover Diesel) battery on a race battery trolley, with Anderson plug. Will do a deep discharge for things like lights, music, 12V tools and will also run an inverter for some time. It'll also start anything, anywhere.

britishtrident

posted on 2/7/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Modern car batteries are "starting batteries" don't take well to being used as general purpose power battery, one deep discharge can knacker the battery. Every time a battery is partly discharge some damage occurs and the charge capcity of the battery when recharged is reduced. Starting batteries are only designed to be discharged to about 66 percent of their charge capacity.
For powering lights on boats, caravans and solar power storage what is known as a deep cycle battery is required.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

BenB

posted on 2/7/15 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
In my shed I've got 12v lighting and fire that I've got a deep discharge battery. But when I tried to start a car with that it wouldn't provide adequate amps despite being quite big (100Ah). I'm rarely in my garage and even when I am the battery will not be overly discharged so want to go with something which predominantly will start a car but occasionally do lighting.
dilley

posted on 2/7/15 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Also known as a leisure battery....
rusty nuts

posted on 4/7/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Modern car batteries are "starting batteries" don't take well to being used as general purpose power battery, one deep discharge can knacker the battery. Every time a battery is partly discharge some damage occurs and the charge capcity of the battery when recharged is reduced. Starting batteries are only designed to be discharged to about 66 percent of their charge capacity.
For powering lights on boats, caravans and solar power storage what is known as a deep cycle battery is required.

The batteries I'm using didn't cost me anything whereas a lea sure battery will cost me best part of £80 if the batteries fail I'm in the fortunate position of being able to replace them

Volvorsport

posted on 4/7/15 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hgv batteries are 12v and rather large......but 150 a pop...used by many in wind turbine setups

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.