Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any tradesmen use a pickup for work instead of a van?
daniel mason

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any tradesmen use a pickup for work instead of a van?

Any tradesmen on here work from a pickup instead of a pannel van?
If so how does it compare? Especially In terms of loading capacity and accessibility of loaded items with no side doors etc?
I seem to be working in ever increasingly remote areas of late.and I also currently can't afford to run a car,a van and a single seat race car. The race car and trailer is staying, and thought I could possibly kill 2 birds with one stone as I'm currently using the van as a car as well.

coozer

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Van for me. I had a Mitty L200 and now have a Doblo and despite it looking smaller I can get a lot more stuff inside. Record is 16 pallets that I couldn't get in the l200...

Plus no fannying on to tie them down.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

blakep82

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Guy over the road, landscape gardener, bought a mitzy warrior as his family car, to go with a transit van and Vauxhall movano twin cab pick up, the idea being he'd also use it for work occasionally, also for tax breaks,
The transit and Vauxhall twin cab were always his first choices.

All depends what it is you do. Gardener, lawn mowers Strimmer's and chainsaws will go in the back of a pick up no problem.
Joiner, do you really want all your mains power tool rolling about a pick up on a wet winters day?
But then would you put grass cuttings in a van?

Depends on how dry stuff needs to be kept, and how smelly it is really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

billy

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Vw t5 I use for work, it's as nice to drive as a car so it's the best of both worlds! A pickup is only usefully if you pickup sand etc and can dump it straight in the back. Saying that my t5 has barn doors at the back, and I've had a dumpy bag forklifted in the back a couple of times. Those 4x4 pickups are pretty sad on fuel too!

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

daniel mason

posted on 22/11/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It would have to have a proper high level rear to make it van like!
tegwin

posted on 22/11/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
How about best of both worlds.... Im selling a 110 defender.... Plenty of length inside and there's few places it would struggle to get to

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

daniel mason

posted on 22/11/15 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can I get 100% tax relief on a 3 year hp agreement
toby916

posted on 22/11/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
i use a defender 110. made an up and over rear door for the back. load capacity is plenty, roof rack helps a lot! and would pull house down if you let it!

If it ain't broke but kinda works. its broke.......

Chaz

posted on 22/11/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Van for me. I had a Mitty L200 and now have a Doblo and despite it looking smaller I can get a lot more stuff inside. Record is 16 pallets that I couldn't get in the l200...

Plus no fannying on to tie them down.

I'm loving my Doblo too! It's a maxi combi doblo, 5 seater. Ugliest vehicle on the road, but by far the most versatile I've had

daniel mason

posted on 22/11/15 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I currently run a 60 plate VW caddy lwb maxi which is fine as a van,if a little small and underpowered for towing (104 bhp)
It's not so good if your going to a fancy wedding or similar!

Nickp

posted on 23/11/15 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a twin cab '62 plate Hilux. Drives really well, not quite car like but best of the 4x4's I've driven by a long chalk. Best you can expect is about 30mpg on a run (usually get 4-450miles to a tank).
Access into the back is an issue if you have a hard top where you can only get in via the tailgate area. However, mine has 2 flap up sides so is much much better. Depending on the 'back' 2 of you can lift it off to move longer / bigger loads, like the Haynes chassis I had strapped onto my old Ranger

lsdweb

posted on 23/11/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I went from a 2013 Ranger to a 2014 Transit Custom. Just changed to a 2015 L200!

The Transit was great but I didn't need all that space. The heaviest thing I carried was our labrador!

The L200 is more economical than the Transit (extra urban is quoted at around 42).

Most of my 'trade' work is repairs / maintenance / electrical with the occasional refurb (we have a new build planned for next year).

I find the pickup much more useful as an every day car.

Loading/unloading of tools etc with a hard top can be a bit of a pain but I use an old piece of carpet on top of the bed liner and this can be used as a sliding 'tray'. The tailgates / beds are quite high too.

Regards

Wyn

daniel mason

posted on 23/11/15 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! About what I expected really.im an electrician,so can fit a roof rack with a pipe for trunking/conduits and ladders,then it's just a case of power tools and electrical gear really
Nickp

posted on 23/11/15 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
Thanks guys! About what I expected really.im an electrician,so can fit a roof rack with a pipe for trunking/conduits and ladders,then it's just a case of power tools and electrical gear really

Bear in mind though Dan, even the best backs on the 4x4s really aren't very secure. I've had mine broken into a few times, I think you only need a spoon to get in!!

morcus

posted on 23/11/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
My dad never locked his, that way you don't get the back window smashed in by people looking for tools, that and you could just pull it open even when it was locked.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

macc man

posted on 23/11/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
A plumber friend of mine had a Nissan Nivara as his work/leisure vehicle. Great for comfort, thirsty on fuel, difficult to access with hard top on and he had to empty of tools at night. I myself use a transit connect and car for leisure. I find that compromise is not worth it for money I save.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.