Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall electric handbrake locked on.
r1_pete

posted on 24/11/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall electric handbrake locked on.

Son in law has a 2011 Meriva diesel auto, wouldn't have been my choice but to him a car is a tool to get him and family from a-b..

Took it for its MOT a 3 weeks ago, which it passed, the garage (not a Vauxhall franchise) came to reverse it off the MOT lane, and the electric handbrake would not release. Garage has replaced the switch, no joy, and from what SIL has said they've spent the last 3 weeks scratching their heads, now suspecting its the wiring loom.

Has anyone on here experienced similar, I don't see how a wiring loom can fail after an MOT that's just fobbing a non car guy off!, I would have thought there is some form of manual override?

Regardless of who is responsible for fixing it, he wants the car back, can anyone offer any words of wisdom? he has taken mine on board - get rid as soon as its fixed, but in the current situation that isn't much help.

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 24/11/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
My imediate thought is that its an ECU related thing. Being on the brake rollers might have confused the hill start system or something weird like that...

Can they connect a computer and reset the electric handbrake module? (some newer cars even need a laptop to "rewind" the rear caliper so you can change the pads!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/11/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Note to self.
Do not buy a car with electric handbrake.

Adamirish

posted on 24/11/15 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
There should be a release mechanism somewhere. There is on the Renaults anyway. Some of the renaults are behind a panel in the boot, other are under a hatch in the floor. Rip the thing apart and the should be one in there. Might say in the handbook.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

DW100

posted on 24/11/15 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
READ THE HANDBOOK!!

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/Owners%20Owners%20Manuals/new_meriva/NewMeri vaOwnersManualJan2010.pdf

Page 130

And if that doesn't work then call the agent.

[Edited on 24/11/15 by DW100]

r1_pete

posted on 24/11/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
RTFM was my 1st response, I would hope they have read it, but fwd the info on anyway cheers.

Yup it just re enforces my view these driver aids are a recipe for disaster, god help us when reverse parking assist gets stuck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hizzi

posted on 24/11/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
i would do a master reset on the car, disconnect the battery and remove it from the car, then touch the pos and neg battery wires together for a few seconds, refit the battery and it should reboot fresh with all codes etc gone. otherwise its a diagnostic job

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.