Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2016 formula 1 engine
skydivepaul

posted on 5/2/16 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
2016 formula 1 engine

the new formula 1 engines for 2016 are supposed to sound better than last year
has anyone heard the new engine sound? is it any better?

Cant be any worse than last year, they sounded like an old tractor farting around!

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

russbost

posted on 5/2/16 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about better, they are supposed to be louder, but I doubt the overall sound will change much as it's caused by the lack of no. of cylinders & a turbo attached!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/2/16 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
The difference is that the wastegates now exit out into there own exhaust pipe rather than into the main tailpipe. This will mean when in full power mode (wastgate wide open with the MGUH (electric motor) powering the turbo you will essentially have a V6 with a 6-2-1 straight through exhaust.

Whether this will make much difference I don't know. I never thought the V8's or V10 sounded particularly appealing anyway, just ear-shattering screeching. GT Racing has the best noise.

I think that the power on them is insane now though, Merc are getting more than the V8's from just the 1.6 Turbo (~750bhp) and with electrical power are over 900bhp which tops the V10's all with 60% of the fuel and lasting 20 times as long. But then I am biased.

Cue 20 replies saying how shite F1 is anyway and MotoGP/BTCC/Banger Racing/Tennis/Watching Paint Dry is much better

[Edited on 5/2/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
BenB

posted on 5/2/16 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, as just said it's the wastegate. Dual outlets will be noisier. The wastegate dumping into the exhaust with the old system reduced the noise. I still like F1. It was a hell of a change but I've got used to the new engine sound. Personally I think DRS should either be got rid or be available at any point on the circuit and regardless of the 1 second thing. If someone is crazy enough to use it mid-corner good luck to them. It would at least enable the drivers to "push" in some regard (given that the tyres and fuel saving won't allow pedal-to-the-metal antics). And now Maldonado isn't racing the risk of someone spinning off due to inappropriate DRS use has gone down massively.....
skydivepaul

posted on 5/2/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
They definitely need to do something to keep my interest. I have been an F1 fan since a boy and always watch the races on TV and go to at least one race a year...................or did up until last year
I am looking to book a race this year either Silverstone or a european race if I can wangle it.

The old V12's, V10's and even the V8's sounded great. screaming up through the box and banging into gear, the noise is as much a part of the racing as the racing itself.
It has got a bit too sterile with tyre management, fuel management, engine wear considerations etc.

I just want to see technologically advanced cars hooning around at breakneck speed with all the theatre that used to be F1
I know there are lots of other race series to go watch and I do in fact go to watch the superbikes every year
Just want F1 to be a bit better

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

Toprivetguns

posted on 5/2/16 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you want noise, nothing beats the corvettes at Le man !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

james h

posted on 5/2/16 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

Agreed!

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
The difference is that the wastegates now exit out into there own exhaust pipe rather than into the main tailpipe. This will mean when in full power mode (wastgate wide open with the MGUH (electric motor) powering the turbo you will essentially have a V6 with a 6-2-1 straight through exhaust.

However, I doubt the sound of the engines will change much at all. Wastegates are literally just that, gates for waste. And that means wasted fuel, something the teams avoid at all costs. On such a car I'd bet a shiny 2p that wastegates are there just as a last resort to protect the turbo, and barely any exhaust gas goes through.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 5/2/16 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes can't possibly veto/control the engine rules forever. Eventually, Formula Mercedes will have such catastrophically reduced audiences that it won't be viable. We can but hope, but I can't see it.

The previous talk of twin-turbo V6's unburdened with costly 'green' stuff, seems to have been killed off, so engines will remain pretty costly and prohibitive non-consumables.

Only 'interesting' thing this year will be who Mercedes allow to take the Title. I guess it's Rosberg's turn, but who knows who the commercial directors at Mercedes have in mind.

I've seen many films where motorcycles have been dubbed with noise, Ducati's that sound like screaming 4's, screaming 4's that have been dubbed with tractor noises (eerr..... F1 engines or Harley Davidsons). Perhaps that what we need - loud speakers and the old glorious V8/V10/V12 scream!

phelpsa

posted on 5/2/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Under full power the wastegates will be almost shut and the mguh electrically compounding on to the mguk as far as I understand. Hence the fashion for larger than usual turbines.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 5/2/16 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

except when you need 20 winks

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

LBMEFM

posted on 5/2/16 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is anyone still interested in F1 let alone what noise they make?.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/2/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer modern F1. Enjoy the sounds and like the engineering behind it.

Wastegates will still scream down the separate exit.

ianhurley20

posted on 5/2/16 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps I am going against the flow but I really enjoyed the quieter engines, for the first time in ages you can hear the tyres squeal as they get locked braking for a corner or when they lose grip in a corner. Lets get rid of all this stupid excess noise.
I am NOT looking forward to more noise!

skydivepaul

posted on 6/2/16 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
Perhaps I am going against the flow but I really enjoyed the quieter engines, for the first time in ages you can hear the tyres squeal as they get locked braking for a corner or when they lose grip in a corner. Lets get rid of all this stupid excess noise.
I am NOT looking forward to more noise!

No no no no. Wrong wrong wrong wrong

I want them to sound like this again
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5SoZiTxdQyw

HD CCTV
IP security systems
access control systems

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 6/2/16 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james h
quote:

Agreed!

quote:

However, I doubt the sound of the engines will change much at all. Wastegates are literally just that, gates for waste. And that means wasted fuel, something the teams avoid at all costs. On such a car I'd bet a shiny 2p that wastegates are there just as a last resort to protect the turbo, and barely any exhaust gas goes through.

They use full power mode a heel of a lot now, the Watergate is fully opened to create a free flowing exhaust and the MGUH is used to create the boost pressure and the MGUK is powering the crank as well for absolutely maximum power, this is where they see ~900bhp.

fYI I worked at Mercedes HPP for 3 years on these engines.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

james h

posted on 6/2/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by james h
quote:

Agreed!

quote:

They use full power mode a heel of a lot now, the Watergate is fully opened to create a free flowing exhaust and the MGUH is used to create the boost pressure and the MGUK is powering the crank as well for absolutely maximum power, this is where they see ~900bhp.

fYI I worked at Mercedes HPP for 3 years on these engines.

Ah, ok, makes sense actually. I stand corrected!

AndyW

posted on 6/2/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Got to agree with you on this.

Corvettes, Aston Martins and LMP2 make a great sound. Got me looking forward to Le Mans again this year!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.