Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cheap dash cams?
Talon Motorsport

posted on 5/2/16 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
cheap dash cams?

Has any body got one of the £12-15 cheap dash cams and are they any good at all especially in the dark? I'm starting on the night shift soon moving cars between the dock side and the ships but also between docks on the road with trade plates, I want to cover myself in case of any accidents that are not my fault but don't want to spend a fortune on some thing that could get destroyed or lost jumping between the crew bus and the motors.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 5/2/16 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these;

HD 1080P G1WH Novatek GPCV2159 2.7" LCD Car Dash DVR Cam Recorder G-sensor 01LF

Not exactly £15, but still remarkably good for the price. There's plenty of footage on youtube for the G1WH, including night videos.

melly-g

posted on 6/2/16 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
If you've got a Budgens near you they had some in there for £18
Don't know how good they are though!

morcus

posted on 6/2/16 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know what you set up is like with your employer but might be worth talking to your bosses and suggest they get some? You don't know if you don't ask?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

geoff shep

posted on 6/2/16 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
This is free app for iPhone - probably similar ones for android. Doesn't help the problem of leaving it behind or losing it though.

DashCam App

coozer

posted on 6/2/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I have one of these;

HD 1080P G1WH Novatek GPCV2159 2.7" LCD Car Dash DVR Cam Recorder G-sensor 01LF

Not exactly £15, but still remarkably good for the price. There's plenty of footage on youtube for the G1WH, including night videos.

I've got one of these as well, use it every night on my overnight express truck run. Good enough on the dark bits a A and M roads. Continually records on a loop and one button press to save the current bit of footage. Only bit for me having it on 1080 it filled the card up very quick so I dropped it to 720 so I get more on. But it is running up to 10 hours a shift. Helps cover my back in the yard where the idiot shunters give it large all over the place!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coyoteboy

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I could never find any with good enough night vision and contrast handling to catch plates in all conditions. Ended up with a K1S and that still struggles at times despite being over 200 quid.

Slimy38

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I could never find any with good enough night vision and contrast handling to catch plates in all conditions. Ended up with a K1S and that still struggles at times despite being over 200 quid.

That's the conclusion I came to. You have to go very high in the range to get something that can get all details in all conditions. My camera can pick up car plates that are in my headlights, and I figure that if they're close enough to hit me they're also close enough to be in my headlights.

jacko

posted on 7/2/16 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
All our buses and coaches have cameras fitted and we could not be without them it's saved us 1000s in dodgy clams from inside the vehicles and out side
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.