Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG6 tl
jacko

posted on 9/2/16 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
MG6 tl

http://mg.co.uk/mg6?gclid=CPLGzfeg68oCFSwW0wodLlUNGw

As you may have read on here i am looking at buying a new car today i saw a new mg6 and liked the look of it
my question it what do you all think of them
good or bad
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 9/2/16 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen one in the flesh,looked a bit like a halfords special to be honest.
just read a couple of reviews and it,s erm....not looking good.
i did some research when i was looking for a newish car for not to much money and ended up with a hyundai I20,it does everything i want from a shopping trolley,a friend has an I30,the next one up and it,s got as many toys as a BMW without the badge and price tag,may be worth looking at them as they are a better known quantity.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

perksy

posted on 9/2/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Depreciation and build quality will need to be on the list of things to check

In the same class I'd be looking Kia aswell tbh or one of the 'better known' brands

britishtrident

posted on 9/2/16 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Generally SAIC seem to have their act together a friend bought an MG3 more or less on they day they came out and has since chalked a surprisingly high mileage and has had zero problems a part from a couple of TPMS false alarms which initially the dealer wasn't up to speed enough on TPMS to deal with it but it was resolved with help the manufacturer.

The MG6 was designed as the Rover 45 replacement most of the bits at the front are straight variations on Rover 75 theme The underside from centre of the car forward is straight off the Rover 75
The dirty bits at the rear are inspired by a combination of Honda-Rover era and BMW-Rover era thinking.

I do know a couple of people who bought fairly early 1.8 models both had only niggling faults rattles and squeaks, coolant level warning false alarms sat nav glitches. SAIC developed a much superior head gasket for the 1.8 engine.

I know nothing of the diesel enginge they use except I have heard nothing bad about it (yet).

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JC

posted on 9/2/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Next door neighbour is the service manager for the local MG garage (ex-vauxhall). He has an MG6 Diesel as his company car - he says it clearly isn't a Lexus, but actually quite likes it. They have had 2 with problems from new but he says MG UK bent over backwards to help fix the issues - bot of which ended up as simple minor quality control issues - take that how you will!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 9/2/16 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you are buying new I don't think you can get anything of a comparable size for the same money. I was interested last time I was changing cars but they don't sell autos. My Dad had one for a couple of days and it was much better to ride in than the Skoda hire cars I always end up with from work.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

nick205

posted on 10/2/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not my cup of tea, but then I've never been a Rover fan.

I do know a couple of people who've purchased Kia's recently and been pleased with them though - worth a look!

I'd also have to add that buying a brand new car is fantastic as you get one unsullied by others, but the depreciation makes it a brave move IMHO. A used car, which has already lost a good chunk of value seems a better option to me.

[Edited on 10/2/16 by nick205]

ravingfool

posted on 10/2/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a rover era MG ZT and mostly enjoy that (mine came with an antisocial stainless steel exhaust which is a bit tiring), as I understand the current MG6 is fairly heavily based on the Rover era designs to the point that various 75 and ZT owners are appropriating the new design of lights and navigation system if I remember rightly and installing those in their older cars.

Also seem to be a body of people going from the 75/ZT to the MG6 and it might be worth having a look on the 75andzt forum for some more anecdotal reviews of the MG6.

Not seen one in the flesh but they look alright in the photos.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.