Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone done a cambelt on a 1.2 punto?
tegwin

posted on 10/4/16 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone done a cambelt on a 1.2 punto?

Has anyone any experience changing the cambelt on these engines?? Have to do one for my housemate Tomo and wandering if there are any issues I should look out for

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

obfripper

posted on 10/4/16 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
8v is nice and easy with no special tools required, 16v requires cam alignment tools, crank locking and alignment tools and a tensioner pin wrench.

Dave

tegwin

posted on 10/4/16 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's the answer I was hoping for

hooefully it just works

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

nick205

posted on 11/4/16 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Not done a Punto so can't comment on those.

The lad opposite me is an apprentice mechanic and has a stream of nice young ladies knocking on his door asking for servicing and repairs. He's a great lad and very accommodating to them. This weekend he was replacing the cam belt on a Seat Leon Cupra R (VAG 1.8 20v Turbo IIRC). He was in/out of the car many times as well as underneath the bonnet and car quite a bit as well. He got the job finished and the car started and ran fine afterwards. When I asked him about it the car's owner had bought the cam belt kit, but Harry my neighbour didn't charge him for the work

I'm all for nice people, but that job needed charging IMHO.

tegwin

posted on 11/4/16 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
ahh... I feel sorry for any guy that does stuff for free just because a girl shows a bit of leg.... That's an awkward belt to change as well

Although now I've typed that I realise I'm doing the belt for my housemate for free too... And he's not even pretty... Or female... Damn it!

nick205

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
ahh... I feel sorry for any guy that does stuff for free just because a girl shows a bit of leg.... That's an awkward belt to change as well

Although now I've typed that I realise I'm doing the belt for my housemate for free too... And he's not even pretty... Or female... Damn it!

Could be worse! If he lives with you then he can cook you dinner for a week to settle up a bit

motivforz

posted on 11/4/16 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Did mine at 67k when the headgasket went. 2 weekends ago did the HG and timing belt as preventative measures. The 8V engine is really easy to do.

If you're doing the water pump be very careful that the teeth match the belt, there are different versions with the same mating pattern. My first pulley spat off about 6 belts (over 10k!) before I worked out what was wrong.

The stud holding the water pump on is made of cheese - be very careful with it.

Make sure the aux belt pulley is put back on correctly for crank sensor timing - there's a tiny nipple which locates it.

Read the Haynes manual for the timing marks, the crank mark isn't entirely obvious until you know what it is.

My best time is 45 minutes for a belt change!

tegwin

posted on 11/4/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Funny you should mention the little locating mark on the crank pulley... Couldnt figure out why the engine wouldnt start.... taking off the pulley and putting it back on the right way around seems to have fixed the issue

Fingers crossed the jobs done! So much easier than my 16v polo.. that took me all day... this was only 2 hours

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.