Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I claim anything back from the MOT station?
Jasper

posted on 22/5/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can I claim anything back from the MOT station?

So I bought a transit last week, dirty, scruffy but very cheap.

On closer inspection I have found large holes in the steel floor all around the front seat mounting hole. See picture..

It was MOT'd on the 27th April - surely this would be an MOT failure? And if so, do I have any recourse with them?

TBH it's an easy fix and I knew the transit has some rust bubbling around the edges.

[Edited on 22/5/16 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

theconrodkid

posted on 22/5/16 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
worth a try,you could of course mention taking it to the ministry for their 2nd opinion ?.
knowing transit,s as i do,i recon you will likley find plenty more rust around and it may be worth getting rid of it.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/5/16 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Visible from under the van? Covered in underseal?
Trouble is if it looked OK on the day, it has to pass. And there are limits to what the MoT man is expected to do.

Flipside is it could have been a postal MoT.

IIRC it is something like 3 months to appeal an MoT on rust? worth checking. What are you expecting? At best the MoT may get overturned or something. And that would leave you in a dilemma with a transit with no MoT, and a difficult process to try to get money back from the seller, or some other complicated proceedure. But in all honesty, I would just accept it needs welding and move on.

hizzi

posted on 22/5/16 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
is that not all hidden behind rubber mats? if you find more maybe go back if thats all thats wrong its twenty minutes with a welder just fix it
Quinten

posted on 22/5/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
What are you after? I mean, the MOT test is a test, not a service... they won't fix it for free, and the worse you can end up with an invalid MOT and the MOT station a slap on the wrist from the inspectors...

theconrodkid

posted on 22/5/16 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Tester will know where to look for rust,have at the rear X member and spring mounts while you are under it,as for a "slap on the wrist",i used to do MOT,s and the man with the clip board was a man to fear if you were doing something naughty.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jasper

posted on 22/5/16 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, most useful.

Does this look ok? Not done any MOT style welding before - only chassis building up till now. I didn't cut out the old stuff, just put Jelonite on it.

I know it's a bit scruffy, the welders not been used in about 10 years!

And had a welding fire as well, the foam in the tool box went up!

Jasper

posted on 22/5/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Can't find any more anywhere, apart from the section of sill in the same footwell, I'll tackle that another day!

gremlin1234

posted on 22/5/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
surely this would be an MOT failure? And if so, do I have any recourse with them?
you have obviously 'cleaned up' (and now repaired) the affected area, so mot enforcement inspectors cannot do anything for you or against the garage. it is different from how it was presented for mot.

edit: unless you suspect it was a 'postal mot...'

[Edited on 22/5/16 by gremlin1234]

Jasper

posted on 22/5/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not gonna bother the MOT station, there another couple of things that passed that I'm rather suspicious of, but they are only minor (windscreen crack). I think it was a 'soft' mot for sure.

It's only an 11 year old van and done 125k miles, so it's worth me spending a bit of time and tidying it up. Mechanically it's spot on, drives great, just a bit scruffy. Clearly the inside has never been cleaned, it took me over 20 minutes just to get the ingrained muck off the steering wheel, and I've had to take thew cup holder off and soak it!

Anyway, thanks for all the input, quite enjoyed getting the welder out, I forgot about the lovely smell!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.