Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What kind of MPG do you get with you 7 type car
sonic

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of MPG do you get with you 7 type car

I have a relatively standard 2 Ltr Pinto running R1 bike carbs in my MK Indy and wondered what mpg to expect. I know its not about mpg with a car like this and it doesn't bother me putting fuel in, but I was quite surprised the fuel gauge inside a std MK tank moves very quickly!.

I don't go out flooring it everywhere just general cruising at 3000 rpm or less with the occasional mad blast, to the point I took my sender out to dip the tank to see if it was correct, I recon I am getting 15 mpg.

Just interested what everybody else gets, would be interesting to hear from somebody with a pinto running bike carbs to compare.

Cheers

itsawindupuk

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Although not a 7 type car I'm using similar running gear. I have a 2.0 duratec with gsxr throttle bodies and I got 44 mpg driving from mid Kent to Torquay. That's in a heavier car than a 7 (mgb gt) with a type 9 box.
chris

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
i know pintos are a bit thirsty but 15mpg is bit low on a long motorway run i got 37mpg running 2ltr zetec on zx9 carbs
chris

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
you are either running very rich or your calculations are wrong
sonic

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
It was setup at Bogg bros on Friday, it runs very well but suspect running rich as the exhaust is very sooty. I will ring them on Tuesday and take it back and have it checked I think
sprintB+

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood with heavy modified Pinto, twin 45's, 4 speed rocket box. Runs 18-20 mpg. got 25 when going to Stoneleigh from Plymouth with a convoy keeping to the speed limits. Well looked after by local top tuner.
madteg

posted on 29/5/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
when rolling roaded they tend to set on the rich side to be safe. I have just mapped mine on the road and its loads better MPG
coozer

posted on 29/5/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mine, 2.0 zetec with zx9r carbs = 20mpg.. Then went to Boggs Brothers and Dave set them up and I got 44mpg!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Furyous

posted on 29/5/16 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
In the Fury with the old 1700cc Crosflow I could get about 30mpg with steady motorway driving, or about 20mpg with some fun driving. I think my best was about 35mpg on a 200 mile trip tootling along at 60mph.
Quinten

posted on 29/5/16 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote

1600 Crossflow on twin 40s over 11K miles tracked

[Edited on 29/5/2016 by Quinten]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 29/5/16 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Should be capable of high 20s to mid 30s on a run and on track about 15
sonic

posted on 29/5/16 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guy's, does anybody know the capacity of an MK Indy fuel tank?, I might be able to work it out and ignore the gauge.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 29/5/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Most std tanks for kitcars are 26 to 30ltrs
gremlin1234

posted on 29/5/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Thanks for the replies guy's, does anybody know the capacity of an MK Indy fuel tank?, I might be able to work it out and ignore the gauge.
just fill it up and see how much you have actually used.
ps as you do this, pause filling after each gallon, and read the fuel gauge.

[Edited on 29/5/16 by gremlin1234]

Adamirish

posted on 29/5/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
My 140bhp Xflow with twin 40's I was averaging 26mpg before it was setup properly. That's cruising about and the odd blast down twisty roads.

I'd say my Indy tank holds 25-30ltrs.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

chris

posted on 29/5/16 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
have known a few people to have problems with Bogg brothers one of them had his car set up by them a 2ltr pinto on bike carbs travelled from Doncaster to south Leicestershire and had to fill up three times so with a few basic tools and in the middle of a field I took the carbs to bits and found that the throttle needles had not been set idle screws were not set so set them to wot I thought he drove back the next day and couldn't believe the difference also told him when he got home to check main jets
and set to
1.5mm

posted on 30/5/16 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
If your checking MPG then forget the fuel gauge.

The sender unit will have been made for a certain shape tank and yours will almost certainly be different.
The arc that the float swings will give differing readings because of this.

The voltage that the gauge runs on could also differ. My Smiths fuel (and temp) run on 10v and I have a
little gadget, kindly made for me by a fellow LB'er, that feeds these two gauges.

In saying that it's still handy to have a fuel gauge as a guide. When mine reads 1/4 I have 30 miles to find
a garage.

Put 18.2 litres (4g) in a jerry can, run the car out of fuel, and put the 18.2 in it.
Run the car till this runs out. If your speedo isn't accurate then use a sat nav.
Don't forget to carry a smaller "get you home" can.

Sounds like a lot of faffing about but it's the only way.

Don't forget that the Pinto was put into cars that did well under 30mpg. 40 mpg was just a dream in those days.

The Eclat that my engine came from did 25mpg on a good day. In my aerodynamic brick I get 18mpg.

Paul G

[Edited on 30/5/16 by 907]

peter030371

posted on 30/5/16 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Put 18.2 litres (4g) in a jerry can, run the car out of fuel, and put the 18.2 in it.
Run the car till this runs out. If your speedo isn't accurate then use a sat nav.
Don't forget to carry a smaller "get you home" can.

Don't do this! You will risk sucking any dirt out your tank...... twice!

Do you, the OP, have a reasonably accurate speedo with trip meter? If so fill the tank up and reset the trip meter. Drive the car like normal. Next time you fill your tank up record the miles you have done and how much fuel you need to refill the tank. Then divide the miles by the fuel used, et voilą you have a reasonably accurate mpg figure

If your speedo is not working then a £15 bike speedo from halfords can normally be made to work just fine.

posted on 30/5/16 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree with Peter if we were talking about an old resurrected British classic (Rust In Peace),

but surely 99% of kits & home builds will have a nice clean ally or stainless tank, that if it wasn't for the smell,
you could eat your dinner out of.

Most systems will also have a fuel filter as a back up anyway.

Paul G

chris

posted on 30/5/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have recently taken my fuel sender out and there was no debri at all in the alloy tank
CosKev3

posted on 30/5/16 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
It was setup at Bogg bros on Friday, it runs very well but suspect running rich as the exhaust is very sooty. I will ring them on Tuesday and take it back and have it checked I think

Have a look at dales (bailey performance) comment ref cruising in your other thread about your bike carbs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.