Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top window screen replacement claim
bi22le

posted on 14/6/16 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top window screen replacement claim

I have just phoned AXA who cover my tin top (A4 B10 S Line) and they say that if I claim for a new window screen I have to disclose it when I next go for quotes!

WTF, now I am going to get fleeced next time round just because I need a new window screen! It also now voids my no claims discount.

Ridiculous.

Any one know any other ways to get it replaced? It needs replacing, it has a 400mm crack across it!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Toprivetguns

posted on 14/6/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
From my experience you should only have to pay an excess and that's that, unless stated in your policy that you don't have windscreen cover.

If you google windscreens replacement, you will find lots of independent companies who offer this service.

I will still go back to AXA and clarify this.

[Edited on 14/6/16 by Toprivetguns]

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

nick205

posted on 14/6/16 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to have several windscreens replaced and only ever had to pay the excess - usually £70 IIRC.

Never been told I have to declare it for future policies and it would annoy me immensely to have to do so.

Slimy38

posted on 14/6/16 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a letter I sent to Which magazine on this exact subject;

quote:
I wonder if you would be able to look into something for me? I have been speaking to colleagues around windscreen repairs and replacements, and in particular Autoglass's promotion that windscreen repairs don't cost anything and won't affect NCD. Yet I've just done a couple of quotes on Confused, one with a windscreen claim and one without, and found that there is a £15 increase on the one with a windscreen claim. That includes one where the claim is for a £20 repair rather than a £300 replacement. A colleague has also found their NCD has been frozen for that year due to the claim. I think it's misleading to suggest repairs wouldn't cost anything, when an insurance premium is increased by £15 for the typical five years you have to declare a claim. What do you think?

Next time you use Confused, have a close look on what they consider being a declarable claim. It 'shouldn't' affect your NCD, however if you have a windscreen replaced close to your renewal you might have some difficulties as mentioned above.

posted on 14/6/16 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had a tiny chip repaired. One of those totally free jobs.

When I renewed they asked if I'd had any accidents or claims to which I said no.

According to our records you have sir, came the reply.

As I had protected no claims it counted as one of the three claims I was allowed in a five year period.

avagolen

posted on 14/6/16 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had a policy once that gave the first years premium back if no claims for three years.

Guess what, I had a windscreen replaced and they would not give me my money.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

bi22le

posted on 15/6/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it's the norm even if its a load of BS.

Word of warning then. Declare window screen replacement.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 16/6/16 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
I ran into this, got a new windscreen off eBay and paid £50 to have it fitted, came in at £450 total which was still better than being screwed on insurance.

Note, claim on your house insurance and it goes against yiu these days, it's says insurance claim not 'car' insurance claim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.