Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Number Plates
myke pocock

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Number Plates

I ordered a self adhesive rear number plate from an ebay seller expecting a reflective backing. On receipt it is printed, both the black and yellow and therefore not reflective. On questioning the seller stated "the current UK guidelines state that the material should be but does not have to be reflective". My understanding is that both front and back should be on a reflective backing but am I wrong? If I am then OK but I dont want to be whitewashed by them. Its not the cost just the principle as the advert was not clear then.
Bluemoon

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
"7 Number plate design specification
Vehicles manufactured after 1 January 1973 must display
number plates:
n made of a reflective material
n with a white background at the front of the vehicle and
a yellow background at the back of the vehicle, and
n with black letters and numbers."

See p8 of:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

loggyboy

posted on 17/6/16 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
No stick on numberplate is Legal, front or Rear. This is as no stick in reflective background meets the required BS.
So any who have them and pass Mot is because its been over looked and Its also one of those grey areas where the MOT and C&U standards dont quite correspond.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 17/6/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
My cars, both MK Indy and several tin tops have passed MoTs with stick on plates sourced online. As far as I'm aware you're supposed to get plates made by accredited suppliers and provide them with documentation (V5C I expect) to allow them to make them. Again I've not done this and it's never been an issue - although I do stick to the correct font type, size and spacing.

hizzi

posted on 17/6/16 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
mot testers are supposed to look for postcode of plate maker and jepson number to prove legality of plate stamped along the bottom
loggyboy

posted on 17/6/16 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
mot testers are supposed to look for postcode of plate maker and jepson number to prove legality of plate stamped along the bottom

But those requirements (postcode) are only since 2001 (ish). So if the plate is older than that the requirementsl cant ve applied.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.