Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Budget for a Convertible of 12k - What would you buy ?
sdh2903

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
S2000

9500rpm, what more do I need to say?

They're going up in value steadily too

Your not wrong about the value. Even spare engines are becoming ludicrously expensive for a good one.

I like the s2000 but it (in the words of James may) didn't give me the fizz. It was perfectly capable but a bit dull. A weekend convertible for me would have to have a bit of an edge or character to make me want to drive it.

If you hadn't discounted it I would have gone for the boxster, although I really have a soft spot for the newer 3.0 bmw z4. Lovely engine and spares/servicing are not that bad price wise. One suggestion that was made earlier was the 370z only ever had a brief ride in a tin top version but seemed a nice car and had a good growl to it.

tr7v8

posted on 18/6/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
i would say boxster or z4 , ive went for the z4 simply because the parts prices (£600 for a pair of front discs !!!) and the horror stories of expensive repair bills on the porsche , a guy i know has just been told his steering rack on his late model boxster is on its way out to tthe tune of a £2500 bill :-/

Not sure where you got that rubbish from, current ECP price for a 986 S is £74 each pads £64 for an axle set. Racks can be rebuilt by ZF depending on model bit are around £600, rare to need one though unless accident damaged.

I sold my 986 S to buy a late PRHT 2 litre Mk 3.5 MX5. A lot more fun than the Boxster was.

[Edited on 18/6/16 by tr7v8]

Jim
2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sold
2010 Maxda MX5 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S (now sold)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak.

perksy

posted on 19/6/16 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your replies, This place as ever is a great source of info and there's nowt better than hearing personal experience and views.

Plan is to drive a couple of cars and 'go from there'

I recently tried a 'S' type TVR and was really disappointed by it after doing some research and deciding it was the way to go
So you can't beat having a good look and actually driving the thing...

loggyboy

posted on 19/6/16 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Unless ot HAS to be a 2 seater for that money would get a very tidy E46 M3.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.