Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build times.......
snowy2

posted on 20/8/16 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
this is all as i suspected ......6 months start to finish is very rare. most folks take over a year to complete.......
i have taken a derelict kit and rebuilt it in 6 months.......its hard work, but a scratch build in 6 months? that’s some dedication.......and an understanding wife.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 20/8/16 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Its taken 2 years to design and build the Single Seater Locost race car from scratch. Thats also included doing all of the company setting up, paperwork BS and marketing as well... And having a new baby and working a full time job.

[Edited on 20/8/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve m

posted on 20/8/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Two years for me, to build a "Build a sports car for £250"

May 1997-May1999, working full time, and doing other jobs, like a garden patio, and replace a kitchen

this was mainly pre internet days for me, so a heck of a time trying to source parts from breakers yards etc

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mark100

posted on 20/8/16 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
feeling good now 3 years from strip down to about to go back on road on a driveway when it aint raining
steve m

posted on 20/8/16 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Taken from the OP, not my comment

"I have recently got into a discussion with a fellow kit car builder who claims that 6 monthe is average for a kit car build. "

I would agree, that anything more than 6 months to build a KIT CAR, would be ludicrous, yet there are hundreds out there in unfinished, and in a unloved condition, probably the owners have taken on a job, that may be to much for there ability

but also, some people are not so fortunate, to be allowed out in the garage when ever they want, I did not have that problem
as my wife, is not interested in cars one bit, my children had left home, so for me, every non full time employment work day was in the garage

Yet mine, is not a kit, and built from scratch, from a book of instructions, with a lot of error's (edition one) as other builders have also found, and as such, bears no resemblance of a "KIT CAR" and any of the time of any scratch builder like myself, has put in

So perhaps this thread or any subsequent should be more defined to building a kit, as in all the bits supplied by a couple of sources, as in a Caterham, westie, Tiger etc, versus, a scratch built

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Sam_68

posted on 20/8/16 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
but also, some people are not so fortunate, to be allowed out in the garage when ever they want

This is the big issue, of course.

If you have no other commitments of any sort a 6-month build period would be easy for almost anyone.

gremlin1234

posted on 20/8/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, a kit car, that you just assemble (like a big 3d jigsaw puzzle), 6months should be easy, but rebuilding a 20 year old car on to a new chassis, (and refurbishing so many parts) does take a lot longer.
AntonUK

posted on 20/8/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
took me 5 years to do a re-build.

Build Photos Here

David Jenkins

posted on 20/8/16 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
but also, some people are not so fortunate, to be allowed out in the garage when ever they want

This is the big issue, of course.

If you have no other commitments of any sort a 6-month build period would be easy for almost anyone.

I have a slight advantage - I'm retired, my kids have grown up and moved out, and I rarely watch TV as I consider most of it to be cr@p. Going out into the garage, or doing something constructive on my computer, is all the entertainment I need. I don't often go to the pub, and very rarely without the wife, so lots of spare time (apart from the household maintenance schedule, which I ignore as much as possible).

Wasn't quite as fortunate when I was building (I was still working 12-hour days then) but otherwise I was still free to do stuff whenever I wanted.

[Edited on 20/8/16 by David Jenkins]

spiderman

posted on 20/8/16 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
14 years and not yet on 4 wheels...do I win or have I lost? It will however get finished and I work on it every weekend

Started mine November 1999, still not finished.

Spider

snowy2

posted on 21/8/16 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Kit or special........i have done both......
specials are more work.....a westfield is as easy as they come....
plans always get in the way of life......or is that the other way round?

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Schrodinger

posted on 21/8/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I took delivery of my Tiger Cat in May 2001 and it was sva'd and registered in Feb 2002, while working full time.
I have just bought a part built Stylus that was bought as a rolling chassis by the original owner in 2003 and it's now being stripped down again as so much stuff done would have been ok for sva but not for iva.

Keith
Aviemore

johnH20

posted on 21/8/16 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well I thought I might win but spiderman beats me. I took almost 16 years to IVA with some years off due to other activities. In addition I am my own worst enemy as I am for ever having a ' better idea '. I recall making 2 1/2 sets of rear suspension components and several other things, sometimes for the simple reason I did not like the visual quality of my welds
Sam_68

posted on 21/8/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
In addition I am my own worst enemy as I am for ever having a ' better idea '.

Yeah, I know that feeling - though at least most of mine happen at the design stage, so don't actually cost anything in materials!

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/9/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
11 weeks from picking up my kit to passing IVA.
That's a kit, not scratch built but did have to wait 4 weeks for front wishbones, as time after time when promised they were finished they weren't, although I would estimate this only delayed me for approx a week as I was able to do other things while waiting.
Full time job, no kids at the time but living with (now) wife.
That was my first build, I sped up a little after that as they were for other people.
I did a lot more work on the car when it was on the road, changed lots of 'glass to carbon, cut chassis and 'bones up to have rosejoints so the car would go in a straight line!

Irony

posted on 8/9/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
11 weeks from picking up my kit to passing IVA.
That's a kit, not scratch built but did have to wait 4 weeks for front wishbones, as time after time when promised they were finished they weren't, although I would estimate this only delayed me for approx a week as I was able to do other things while waiting.
Full time job, no kids at the time but living with (now) wife.
That was my first build, I sped up a little after that as they were for other people.
I did a lot more work on the car when it was on the road, changed lots of 'glass to carbon, cut chassis and 'bones up to have rosejoints so the car would go in a straight line!

What kit?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 8/9/16 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
7.5 years and counting! Multitude of factors, but in that time, I've bought my first house, renovated (most of) it, stripped and rebuilt a Landrover Defender 90 from the ground up, and saved/paid for a wedding.

Whereas before I had less funds and more time, unfortunately now I'm stuck with less time and enough money! Sods law, really.

I'd also have been better off buying a kit from scratch instead of trying to take on a part-built, as I've ended up re-doing so many parts as I go along, it's taken far too long. The joy of hindsight I suppose....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.