Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: To S4 or not??
pewe

posted on 15/12/17 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
To S4 or not??

So the bucket list says I need to own something V8.
The SAAB Estate is coming close to outstaying it's welcome.
Thoughts for a replacement have turned towards an Audi S4 Avant - 4.2 V8, 4 wheel drive, all the bells and whistles. What's not to like?
I'm aware of higher running and insurance costs but any comments gratefully appreciated.
TIA.
Cheers, Pewe10

HowardB

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
really depends what makes the pulse race,.. old shape Jag V8, Lexus V8, Monaro, M5 Touring, TVR, Mustang! even an Overfinch , there is quite a good list of V8 motors, the Audi would be quite far down my list,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
What age/model? I assume it will be a B6 or B7 model if you are after the 4.2 V8.

I had an 03 B6 manual estate for 2 years. It was an incredibly capable car, fast smooth, practical and robust. It wasnt without downsides though. 22mpg was about its average, it never ever did over 29mpg no matter how hard I tried.
Build quality was also a bit contradictory, at 100k miles it was all still on its origiginal bearings and bushes. But on the other hand it had needed multiple sets of front shocks, new starter motor and all new seat motors.
They also burn a good chunk of oil and 6th gear (in the manual) is barely any higher than 5th so motorway cruising can be a drone.
Rear leg room was pretty poor as well.

If you find one cheap, and arent bothered about running costs then worth a punt.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I share the V8 urge although I favour the RS6 over the S4 myself. That said we have 3 kids and their stuff to haul so more space is always welcome.

I'm really not a 4x4 fan, but HowardB mentions the Overfinch above. 25 years ago I used to make metal parts for Overfinch near their workshops in Alton in Hampshire (they may well have moved now). I have to say the Overfinch Range Rovers are really quite something and have V8 engines. Downside - unless you're a "country gent" you may look a bit daft in one.

Keep us posted on which way you go

HowardB

posted on 15/12/17 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
out of all of those - for a V8 with style and panache it would be a Jag, with practicality in mind it would be the M5 touring, and with shares in Shell it would be the Overfinch.
Practicality aside it would be a Sagaris! It could be an AMG wagon,... another german flying machine

V8 engined fury? Ask Scudderfish

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

luke2152

posted on 15/12/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
The cam chain tensioners on the S4 4.2 (there's 3 of them) are known to fail and located at the back of then engine so it's an engine out job.

I owned a v plate S6 and it was quick and sounded orgasmic. Comfortable and happy to drive all day at very naughty speeds. Suspension was firm enough to give a sporty feel but when you reached the limit of traction it would understeer horrendously because of all the weight of the v8 and gearbox on the front wheels. Of course the S4 will be a bit more nimble but I wouldn't own another quattro unless I was spending a lot of time driving on snow.

pewe

posted on 15/12/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - new there would be useful feedback from here.
It needs to be an estate car for day-to-day driving plus dog transport and occasional family use & towing.
I still have the s/c hairdressers for thrills.
Luke - presumably the 4.2 engine is interference so cam chains snapping grenades the engine?
What sort of miles would you expect? Obviously depends on how its driven etc. etc.
The one I'm looking at has 76k on the clock.
The other option is a Beemer 540i Touring but can't quite get my head around owning a BMW.
I suppose the answer is to test drive both and go from there.
Will update as I progress, though I suspect it will be into the New Year (unless the SAAB totally disgraces itself in the meantime.)
Cheers and a merry Christmas to all, Pewe10

Just to say I can live with V8 fuel consumption - the s/c hairdressers returns 22mpg regardless and I do very limited mileage nowadays split between that and the tin-top.

[Edited on 15/12/17 by pewe]

nick205

posted on 15/12/17 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
For me an estate car has a definite appeal to it - people and load lugging etc. I suspect something V8 powered would probably tow OK as well
luke2152

posted on 15/12/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
PEWE as I understand it the tensioners failing wouldn't cause the chain to break. Not straight away anyway - just rattle and a time consuming repair. Not sure about the expected mileage. It was a VW/Audi wide problem but more costly on the v engines with multiple chains.
furryeggs

posted on 15/12/17 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
The Audi V8 chains are at the back off the engine not front (something to do with balance). If the tensioners go it’s an engine out job which you won’t get much change out of 4k.
loggyboy

posted on 15/12/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
TVR is my V8 bucket list car, dont care about model.

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 15/12/17 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

They are a disappointing car IMO,driven the 4.2 and 4.5 Cerberas with the AJP V8 and although the sound is right the drive and quality is awful.
Quite like a badly built kit car tbh.

loggyboy

posted on 15/12/17 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

They are a disappointing car IMO,driven the 4.2 and 4.5 Cerberas with the AJP V8 and although the sound is right the drive and quality is awful.

I dont doubt (an Old Bosses son used to work for TVR and race tuscans) and heard many a story.
But a neighbour had one and the sound alone used to give me goose bumps. It would be a car I would happily sit in it on a driveway once a week for 20mins and rev it not go anywhere, and still feel I was getting my moneys worth!

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 15/12/17 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

I dont doubt (an Old Bosses son used to work for TVR and race tuscans) and heard many a story.
But a neighbour had one and the sound alone used to give me goose bumps. It would be a car I would happily sit in it on a driveway once a week for 20mins and rev it not go anywhere, and still feel I was getting my moneys worth!

Ha ha!
Then spend the next few days re-fitting the parts that dropped off while you sat there revving it!!!

The 4.2 Cerbera actually burst into flames,my bruv in law had only had it one day.
By the time fire brigade got to us it had burnt out the full interior and engine bay.

DanP

posted on 16/12/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just sold my B6 S4 Cabriolet and got a B7 A4 Avant Diesel (growing family). No major issues in 4 years of ownership.

If I could have found a good low mileage s4 Avant that had the timing chains sorted I would have got that.

You should watch out for the timing chain tensioners, look for a prolonged rattle at startup, most people say they go at 100K, as others have said it’s engine out to replace them.

I really enjoyed having an S4, my previous car was a 996 911 turbo and the S4 was more practical but still great fun.

As mentioned expect 20mpg.

The Quattro is nice when it’s wet or snowing but it does knock the fuel consumption down.

If you need the v8 noise then get a decent exhaust fitted, the stock one is quite quiet from inside the car.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 16/12/17 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Had an S4 avant with the cat back resonated milltek sonded epic went well and felt planted .Had issues with the abs though which is not uncommon apparently and can be and expensive fix. Loved it though .
If I were to go there again I would go for the 2.7 turbo as reported to be a more exciting drive

Mike Wood

posted on 16/12/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you want a V8 estate that is not an Audi or Merc, or can't get a V8 M5 estate, how about a Vauxhall (Holden) VXR8 Tourer (sort of a Monaro estate ) https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vauxhall/vxr8/first-drives/vauxhall-vxr8-tourer-first-drive-review. Or an MG/Rover as a slower budget alternative if you can find a good one.

If you want a big 4x4 estate there is always a Skoda Superb, but no V8 unfortunately. Or a 2wd Skoda Octavia estate VRS? (No V8 though)

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 16/12/17 by Mike Wood]

roadrunner

posted on 17/12/17 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry. Do not buy a Vauxhall.:-))
I test drove a V8 S4 estate. Loved it. But decided to go with the S4 engined A6 instead. It has a V6 supercharged 3.0 litre engine producing 290 horse's. When I decide to get it mapped it will give me 400 horse's. I have now swapped the supercharger pulley for a slightly smaller one so when I do get it mapped it will give me 450 horse's
COOL.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 17/12/17 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Why don't buy a Vauxhall.with 414bhp as standard ???
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I'm sorry. Do not buy a Vauxhall.:-))
I test drove a V8 S4 estate. Loved it. But decided to go with the S4 engined A6 instead. It has a V6 supercharged 3.0 litre engine producing 290 horse's. When I decide to get it mapped it will give me 400 horse's. I have now swapped the supercharger pulley for a slightly smaller one so when I do get it mapped it will give me 450 horse's
COOL.

[Edited on 17/12/17 by CRAIGR]

jonabonospen

posted on 18/12/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought myself a 2006 S6 Avant with the 5.2 V10 in it....... its friggin awesome!! Its done 130k miles but inside its like its only done 30k. Everything works. The ride is comfortable, although quite stiff. But it has been fitted with a Milltek system and rolling roaded at just over 500bhp and goes like stink

All I had heard about the 4.2 v8 S4 motors is like others have said, the chain. It is definitely an engine out job and if there is no record of it having been done then you need to factor in probably £3k to get it done so it doesnt grenade itself.

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 3/1/18 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
I recently bought myself a 2006 S6 Avant with the 5.2 V10 in it....... its friggin awesome!! Its done 130k miles but inside its like its only done 30k. Everything works. The ride is comfortable, although quite stiff. But it has been fitted with a Milltek system and rolling roaded at just over 500bhp and goes like stink

I've got the RS6 of the same era. It has the same 5 litre v10 but with two turbos bolted onto it. It's an absolute animal, just keeps on accelerating until you run out of road (or courage!)

I keep saying I would like either an RS4 or RS5 convertible to share the garage with it. The latter is still too expensive to have as a second toy car though. Both of those run the 4.2 v8. I am good mates with the guys who run VASS Tech which helps when it comes to knowing the pitfalls of each model.

Had the v8 urge a couple of months ago and bought a Grand Cherokee in the end as a daily lug about. It's a 4.7 'high output'. Awful to drive but it ticked a lot of other boxes: cheap enough to not be precious about it, big boot, can tow 3.5 tonnes, comfortable on a long run and (thanks to an LPG conversion) reasonable running costs.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 5/1/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks or all the comments guys.
Took a 2 owner S4 Avant out for a test drive yesterday.
This one had about 112k on the clock and was immaculate bar a couple of stone chips.
What an awesome piece of kit and so many bangs for you bucks.
Current owner, a trader is asking £6k.
Decided against it however for two reasons:-
1) Having lived with an auto as a daily driver for the last 15 years shifting gears seems like a backward step (OK so the hairdresser's is manual but that's part of the fun and I would never, ever contemplate an auto sportscar).
2) Compared to the SAAB it's a bit small and for sure wouldn't easily accommodate four wheels and tyres plus all the kit for track days.
So it looks like stepping up to an A6 type car but unfortunately the RS6's aren't homologated for towing.
From what I can see the S6 are all V10's which is too many cylinders.
No1 son still reckons I should be looking at Beemers.
Knowing me I'll probably vacillate until the SAAB finally gives up the ghost and have to make a distress purchase!
Cheers, Pewe10.
PS Had to smile, S4's owner commented that I drove it rather faster than he did.
I had to explain that a 200 brake, 900kg MX5 supercharged does gather pace quite rapidly.
I suppose it depends on what you're used to....

pewe

posted on 21/3/18 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Final up-date - test drove an Audi S6 Avant but found it not to my liking and I gather they coke up their inlet tracts when used for short runs.
Took delivery last week of a BMW E61 550i Touring.
It has a fair few miles on the clock (101k) but FSH and the last owner spent shed-loads on it until 3 months into ownership his missus told him to get rid of it - SWMBO really does exist. Hopefully his loss is my gain.
So far bloody loving it.
All the usual BM attributes plus it goes like stink.
If it lasts as long as the SAAB it'll see me out....
Thanks for all the input guys - safe motoring.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.