Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling Tin Tops Privately - Anything Moving
perksy

posted on 24/9/20 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
Selling Tin Tops Privately - Anything Moving

As the title really

Looking to change Mrs P's Mazda and was thinking of selling it privately, However with all this Covid stuff going on are any cars actually being sold privately at the moment?

I've had a look on the web and nearly everything seems to be both being advertised and sold by dealers

Thoughts anyone?

big_wasa

posted on 24/9/20 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
In my opinion that was happening long before covid with anything other than a banger.

The years of advertising by the likes of we buy any car really have worked. No hassle, no come back and instant.

steve m

posted on 24/9/20 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I went through this dilemma with my Mothers car a few weeks ago, a 16 plate corsa 18k mileage
I looked at various different selling platforms Ebay Autotrader etc,
But i really did not want tyre kickers and muppets coming round

I also had an offer of 5k from a local car dealer, in the end i sold it with We sell any car, and £6400

The rough selling prices on ebay ranged 5k -7.5k so i dont think what we got was to bad

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 24/9/20 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
In my opinion that was happening long before covid with anything other than a banger.

The years of advertising by the likes of we buy any car really have worked. No hassle, no come back and instant.

Agreed. I was looking for a Skoda Superb in the months leading up to lockdown. On any particular day I'd see 30+ Superbs advertised from dealers, and maybe one or two private sellers. It might have been the type of car, but even with Superb's there used to be hundreds of high mileage ex-taxis that were being sold cheap, they must be ending up somewhere else now.

nick205

posted on 24/9/20 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Share the OP's query.

We're looking to change the family VW Touran (1.9 TDI 57 plate). Before now I've always sold my cars privately and bought privately or very occaisionally trade. At the moment I'm considering just part exchanging our current car for whatever we replace it with. Just seems the quickest and least hassle route to be honest.

That said, if I just had to sell our current car (and not replace it) I'd sell privately through Autotrader or similar. I've sought values from webuyanycar.com before and they're offering marginally less than I'd get for trading it in. I don't know what their current COVID-19 routine is, but last time I looked (October 2019) they offered a value and you had to take your vehicle to a nominated local dealer for inspection. That local dealer then did the actual purchasing. There's more than one service out there so some may operate differently.

Personally I'm happy selling cars. If they're in reasonable condition with reasonable history and MoT then it's not difficult. Undoubtedly COVID-19 will make it harder though with social distancing, sanitising etc.

Simon

posted on 24/9/20 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've had my 'busa on ebay for a month and one enquiry with a pisstake offer - I've priced the bike similar to dealers (so top of range) as it comes with six months Suzuki warranty.

As for webuyanycar, they bought my Espace for £8k about 5 years ago and within a fortnight it was on Croydon Renault forecourt for £17,000 so I'm now buying privately and keeping cars till they're scrap

ettore bugatti

posted on 24/9/20 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
It might be more of a buyers market at the moment if you look at private sales, but if you dont advertise it will be difficult to sell.
nick205

posted on 25/9/20 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
"We Buy Any Car" (and their breed) exist to make it easier for people to sell their cars. "We Buy Any Car" themselves point out in their TV adverts that...

"you might get a bit more if you sell it privately, but they'll take away the hassle"

...it's not a bad business really, buying cars from people that a garage can then sell on. "We Buy Any Car" take a slice of money everyone should walk away satisfied. In theory no real difference to part exchanging your current car at a garage when you buy another car. The garage need to dispose off (sell) the car you've just part-ex'd to them and make some money on it.

Businesses exist to make money!

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/9/20 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of people are also reconsidering their requirement for a car with so many working from home and still paying a hefty whack for the car that goes nowhere. I’m in that situation too and it’s quite possible working from home will be permanent. I’ve now got to buy 2 new tyres, MOT & service the VW Up which in 6 months has used 3 tanks of petrol!

If you consider that I’ve been working from home since April and it may be another 6 months at least till I could go back to the office. Even with it only costing me £139 a month + MOT & Service that’s £1798 pretty much wasted. It would be cheaper to call a taxi

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 25/9/20 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I think a lot of people are also reconsidering their requirement for a car with so many working from home and still paying a hefty whack for the car that goes nowhere. I’m in that situation too and it’s quite possible working from home will be permanent. I’ve now got to buy 2 new tyres, MOT & service the VW Up which in 6 months has used 3 tanks of petrol!

If you consider that I’ve been working from home since April and it may be another 6 months at least till I could go back to the office. Even with it only costing me £139 a month + MOT & Service that’s £1798 pretty much wasted. It would be cheaper to call a taxi

Fair comment - many will be in the same situation!

I wonder what trade's been like for taxi drivers this year, fewer people travelling by train, which is where a lot of them get there fares from.

perksy

posted on 25/9/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your comments

We went the Part Ex route in the end and Mrs P is having a 16 plate Mini Cooper Convertible
To be fair the Part Ex offer was much better than i thought it would be and the Mini was a pretty good price in the first place

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.