Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Outdoor car storage
Benzine

posted on 5/10/10 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Outdoor car storage

I need to have my MK outside for a while whilst I re-arrange my workshop. How's best to keep it protected? I've done this before with poor results, I used a tarp and water still managed to get in, I don't know whether there were holes in the tarp or whether moisture just manages to find it's way in?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I think condensation is the main culprit. How about making a mini car port - you can still use the tarp, but make a wooden frame (like a roll cage) to keep an air gap next to the car and prevent condensation dripping in.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I used an exterior car cover supported between roll bar and windscreen with plastic sheet to stop it bowing in when water gets on it, used to put a tarp over the top of the cockpit area as extra protection then Trudeau the lot up like a German sausage with luggage straps round the front middle and rear and one nose to tail.
This did the job most of the time.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

loggyboy

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
How long is a a while?

Long enough to be worth spending on more than what you would on an argos cover??
http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/OutdoorCoverCar.html

[Edited on 5/10/10 by loggyboy]

Benzine

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies!

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
How long is a a while?

Well whenever I plan to do anything car related it's usually the amount of time I say x 4 So I'd like it to be out for about a week so in reality it'll be a month or more

Just remembered i've got a car cover similar to the one in the above link, it's not water proof but I'll put that on the car, then an air gap between a frame with tarpaulin

[Edited on 5/10/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Stott

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Get on ebay, this is the best way to store it probably, could always cover the whole thing so it's out of sight, should stay dry though

LINK 12 HRS To Go

EDIT: I know it's an indoor one but when tarped over it's got to be better than just covering with tarp alone

[Edited on 5/10/10 by Stott]

bbwales

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Depending how long you are intending to park it outside you could make one of these http://www.locust.org.uk/knowlegebase/garage/garage.htm
My car lives outside and I put a golf brolly over the cockpit and then a Hamilton cover over the whole car, this works very well for me.

Regards

Bob

FFTS

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
This may sound daft but seriously beware of CATS. I have done it on an MK Indy (black andI came to take the cover off one day and a load of scratches had a come from nowhere. I few days later I saw two big lump under the cover moving rapidly and squealing. It was two cats fighting on the bonnet. When I took the cover off it was full of cat hair and a few more scratches. The cats were using it as a warm den in the cold weather and fighting for who gets the best seat.

I would put a bowl of vinegar with lemons sliced into it on the floor. If it doesn't keep them out at least you can imagine the look on their face as they suck their cheeks in drinking it

Chris.

scootz

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey... a post from Benzine that didn't involve me having to go to the 'Urban Dictionary' to decipher!

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Crikey... a post from Benzine that didn't involve me having to go to the 'Urban Dictionary' to decipher!

I thought it was time to move on to new pastures... pastures of clear, succinct writing

>.>

<.<

yer m8 n1 lololol XD \m/>.<\m/

Benzine

posted on 5/10/10 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Edit: double post.

On a serious note, I listen to radio 4.

[Edited on 5/10/10 by Benzine]

scootz

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
... whilst we're confessing - I listen to Radio 2... particularly the Ken Bruce show for Popmaster!

The only one I avoid is Steve Wright (stuck well and truly in the 80's!).

It's Evolution Baby!

designer

posted on 5/10/10 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Just use a proper, breathable, fitted car cover.
JimSpencer

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Watched a formula ford being wheeled out of a largish tent (yup the camping sort) a few weeks ago..

Looked a bit unusual but chatting to the bloke it worked well and he reckoned he'd used it over the winter for a couple of years!

UncleFista

posted on 5/10/10 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Just use a proper, breathable, fitted car cover.

Yeah, cheapo "tarp" style covers don't even pretend to be waterproof...

bucketseat
bucketseat

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Lightning

posted on 5/10/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to put up this as a temporary job whilst i take the body off the Chimaera
Car port

Steve

will121

posted on 5/10/10 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
a basic wooden box from Locust site

locust garage

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.