Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi and My different kit car build
killerferret666

posted on 25/12/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and My different kit car build

I am such a lurker on this forum, I felt I should say Hi. The amount of information I've learnt and taken in via the search has made my build easier for sure and with only one thread posted where I knew in my heart what I was not doing wasn't good enough. It has saved me plaguing the forums with stupid questions.

I look forward to joining as a contributor on this forum as the use has been worth the donation.

I am building a DDR Motorsport GT4, the donor for this vehicle is an MR2, not the chassis itself so it's not one of those kits. I choose the kit because it's closed cockpit and never been done before and I love a challenge and I don't know how to give up until I've completed what I want.

Below is my blog, it's light hearted affair of how I'm getting on.

Http://Miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

Tomorrow will be the first time I take it off the custom dolly I built and place the car on the ground... Very excited and then it's time to fit the engine in. I've placed a few photos below but the blog has far more and detail.

unijacko67

posted on 25/12/13 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome, what a great looking car.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MsD

posted on 25/12/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Saw this in CKC... Lovely looking car! Looking forward to watching it come together!

Mark.

killerferret666

posted on 25/12/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks both. It's going well so far. Just interesting having to solve issues with no guide and no one else who's gone through it before... But that's the challenge :-D

The solutions on this forum help with a lot of things!

perksy

posted on 25/12/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I like that

Will watch this with interest and see how it progresses

Looking at the finished photo they look nice in Orange

Pat_T

posted on 25/12/13 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

lovely looking kit, like a mini (affordable) McLaren F1!

do you know what the weight is of one of these? Ideally would like to know the weight of a rolling chassis without engine/box as could then consider different engine donors.

I'd love to do a build on one of these at some point.

cheers & good luck
Patrick

www.instagram.com/patroclueus

killerferret666

posted on 25/12/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
Hi James,

lovely looking kit, like a mini (affordable) McLaren F1!

do you know what the weight is of one of these? Ideally would like to know the weight of a rolling chassis without engine/box as could then consider different engine donors.

I'd love to do a build on one of these at some point.

cheers & good luck
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I don't know a rolling chassis weight. Delivery weight listed for the shipping container was 750kg, that includes a very heavy and beefy pallet. The total weight including engine (Toyota 3s-gte) is said to be around 900kg, depending on wheels, sound deadening etc.... The chassis is one of the heaviest and beefiest I've seen on a kit car, it took 6 of us to lift it off the pallet! You could say over engineered but it's designed to take engines giving out 1000bhp, so that's good to know in itself.

The engine bay is bigger then a standard mr2 bay and they have fitted some v6 and at least one v8 done in mr2s. So does give me some options.

As with everything.... Americans go bigger!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVpdCw5u2s

[Edited on 25/12/13 by killerferret666]

deezee

posted on 25/12/13 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a jap import mr2 turbo. Had a look at the ddr but opted to build a seven style kit car. Stripping an mr2 to assemble another mid engined 2 seater that's around a tonne, seemed like a small step at a great cost. The car looks fantastic though.

killerferret666

posted on 26/12/13 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
I used to have a jap import mr2 turbo. Had a look at the ddr but opted to build a seven style kit car. Stripping an mr2 to assemble another mid engined 2 seater that's around a tonne, seemed like a small step at a great cost. The car looks fantastic though.

Part of the draw for me, as I took it apart I could learn the mr2, but so far barely used any parts as I keep replacing them.

killerferret666

posted on 28/12/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quick walk around the build for anyone who is interested. Took all the rear back off today in the garage to fit the engine...or should that be...start to fit the engine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjo_9LOtKU

killerferret666

posted on 3/2/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've been working on the ignition and charging electrics only to date and hooked it up how I thought was correctly and tried

http://youtu.be/F2mwVkQ7HgI

Satisfying feeling isnt it, It didnt fire as I had no fuel in at this point just testing the wiring and thanks to the MR2 having a rear fusebox / relay holder it really is only 5 wires from ignition / battery as the rear loom does all the work with the ECU. Tonight put the power into the CBS from battery and ACC and that was fine too.

Started tidying it all up tonight because it looks a mess quickly, anyone's advice on keeping wiring neat is appreciated!

...right off to contribute as the search here has been amazing!

killerferret666

posted on 16/2/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
My blog updated with the engine starting and the troubles.

miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk

Up to 205hours on the build now in 3 and half months....maybe sinlge at this rate in another 3 half months

killerferret666

posted on 16/2/14 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk
Pat_T

posted on 17/2/14 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
great work mate, keep it up.

Looking forward to a full engine start video soon

big_wasa

posted on 17/2/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
It sure does look stunning....
killerferret666

posted on 17/3/14 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite an engine start up video, but hopefully next week once the custom exhaust / silencer is installed!

Here's a little walk around video, some pipes and wiring need securing further but I have a couple more bits of wiring to do and test and I'll finally be done!

http://youtu.be/iyaa1VT7F0Q

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

killerferret666

posted on 24/3/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
It moved by itself yesterday.I know it was only ten feet etc... but its a great feeling

I've updated the blog with a very poor video I will do a better one at some point!

Building DDR GT4

killerferret666

posted on 4/5/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Blog updated with good weekends work.

miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.com

Building DDR GT4

killerferret666

posted on 1/6/14 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Video of car currently. Getting there! Although not happy with dash colour...sold as dark grey!

Building DDR GT4

killerferret666

posted on 24/6/14 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Getting there, test fitting body and windscreen in.

God bodywork takes so many hours to even get close to lining up! I've done just passenger door so far and spent about 12hours on it to get it pretty good.

Building DDR GT4

nick205

posted on 24/6/14 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
This looks stunning and well worth the effort on the bodywork fitting/alignment

Keep the updates coming!

Pat_T

posted on 24/6/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Great work!

Definitely going to need a rear wing to look in proportion I think, similar to the F1 GTR?

Are you planning on adding one?

killerferret666

posted on 24/6/14 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
Great work!

Definitely going to need a rear wing to look in proportion I think, similar to the F1 GTR?

Are you planning on adding one?

I agree it will need a rear wing. I'm not sure on which style of wing yet though. Ill need to do some photoshopping.

Was thinking of a short low profile wing, like konensegg did, but then part of my decision will be made on what aftermarket wings I can get

Building DDR GT4

TPG

posted on 27/6/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
That is a nice looking car. Interesting left field build choice. Also the standard "how much did it cost?" to get across etc. Just interested because of the taxes etc.
Nice,Keep at it.

..Which was nice..

killerferret666

posted on 27/6/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TPG
That is a nice looking car. Interesting left field build choice. Also the standard "how much did it cost?" to get across etc. Just interested because of the taxes etc.
Nice,Keep at it.

We'll there wasn't much change from £15k, that's for it to be on my driveway, because of UK taxes and the exchange rate mainly.

However if you have a VAT company and with current exchange rate probably closer to £11k currently. It's the vat that's the killer!

Also you wouldn't want the windscreen with the kit as its not E marked and I had to have a mould made from mine to produce E marked screens....mine was a nessacity but I guess at least others get the benefit of E screens being easily made.
So again kit would be cheaper without a screen, less import tax etc...

To be honest if I was to do it again, I'd cut out things I can buy in uk to save cost and would make it much cheaper because of the vat on top. For instance buying RHD lights as well.

I took on this car for the challenge in being the first, although challenging it's been good

Building DDR GT4

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.