Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hmmmm that brings back memories ...
02GF74

posted on 6/4/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmm that brings back memories ...

for no real reason, I searched ebay for astra gte (used to have one ) .... and guess what, a red astra with the same number plate as mine pops up!!!

Just can't get the feeling out of my gut that it is dodgey (or is that the curry?) - no reason why it should be but in my time it was not 4wd, was not messed with so no black bonnet, stupid wiper blades nor horrible alloys; and engine had the red top cam cover.

At the time I sold it it started to bubble under the rear wheel arches, as they were prone to but I am amazed it is still around, (or at least the number plate is!) after 15 years!!

G789 LFK VAUXHALL ASTRA GTE MK2 16V 4X4

jacko

posted on 6/4/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
How can it have 4 or 2 wheel drive ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 6/4/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had an 8v for a short time. It used more oil than petrol.
morcus

posted on 6/4/14 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
What Jacko said, I though most Astra 4WD conversions invovled the running gear and floorpan from a cavalier 4x4 which I thought was permanent AWD. Switchable 4WD to me suggests its got running gear from something designed for offroading.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

SteveRST

posted on 6/4/14 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say it looks dodgy just due to the crap advert.
If it is a genuine ad, then it amazes me just how little effort someone can make. 30 words used to describe something that they are asking £3400 for. hmmm, what's all that about?

r1_pete

posted on 7/4/14 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
You could make the Cavalier 4x4 switchable, for rolling road MOT you had to remove a fuse, I think it was No.19, which closed the valve between the power steering pump and the 4 wheel drive system, and stopped drive to the rear wheels, yes they use the power steering pump to provide control pressure to the 4x4 system.

That Astra looks too high at the back end, but, with a little work I bet it could be made into a nice car.

We had a couple of GTE's - B911 FWF stolen and never seen again, D921 BCX, stolen and recovered twice and traded in for a cavalier 4x4!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 7/4/14 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

That Astra looks too high at the back end, but, with a little work I bet it could be made into a nice car.

I thought that too. Apparently it has had two new rear quarters.

The asking price is a couple hundred short of what I paid for it and about a grand and a half more than what I sold it for.

Those cars wer notorious for getting stolen, mine got broken in 2 (or 3?) times, my mates grey GTE ended up near Slough as a shell.

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
It's not just that it's had two rear quarters, I think they've messed up the 4wd conversion and left it up in the air like that. The picture of the diff shows the driveshafts to be horizontal, which means that to recover the six to twelve inches and get it to a normal height the diff will be a little close to the floor.

My neighbour had one that was extensively modified but sounded brilliant (for a four pot). And my brother in law is currently restoring his, although to be honest it's the mintest GTE I've seen for a while so I'm not sure what 'restoring' he needs to do! The first mod he's planning is a couple of security posts at the end of his drive!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.