Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: road tax not transferable?
Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
road tax not transferable?

I've just seen some brief paragraph saying that road tax is now not transferable when you sell a car, that the current owner has to get a refund and the new owner has to take it out. Has anyone got any more information?

More importantly, what happens if the car is sold mid month? The seller will have their tax refund from the end of the month, but the buyer will have to buy tax from the beginning of the month? Suddenly the government has got two months worth of tax, that can't be right can it?

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
You want to bet? sounds about right to me. Well, what they are up to sounds right. It may not be, but I expect it is.
coyoteboy

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I know that's right, yes.

theduck

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
This is only from October and the ibtroduxtion of the tax disc less system. Anything with a disc is transferable.
ali f27

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I know they have to raise money in tax but time and again they seem to be ripping people off there again they are all on the fiddle so what do expect at least the greek government admit to bribes etc ours is just as bent
tegwin

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
So I can see a peak in used car sales at the end of each month!?

What a daft system

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
So I can see a peak in used car sales at the end of each month!?

What a daft system

To be honest, while I gave an example of mid month, I think it would apply any day. Even if you got a refund on the last day of the month, the new owner would still have to start their tax the same day (and pay for 29 days tax before they even own the car).

And it would be this year that I'm looking for a new car for the missus... And it'll take us til October before she finds a colour she likes!

Brook_lands

posted on 7/4/14 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
You do wonder about these things but.

When it was a paper disc bought from the post office you can see the logic for doing it a month at a time either for purchase or refund.

Then some bright spark says, we now have these computer things and online stuff so lets get rid of the paper disc (and the fee we pay to the post office) and save a some money.

Now if it is now done online in real time there is no reason why it cannot be done per day either for purchase of refund but, the same bright spark has probably worked out.......

7 million used cars change hands each year
Average car tax say £180 per year
Let's say that 80% of those will now be double taxed for a month that's £84,000,000 extra income!!!!!

But I'm sure they will say its all about making sure cars all cars are taxed and insured and nothing to do with the money.

Yer right, as usual all it will do is incovenience the basically law abiding and those that didn't give a damn before still won't!

And as a bonus by making the system even more complicated the opportunity for sending out those automatic fines for, not sorn, no tax, no insurance adds another enhanced income stream to the coffers.

Rant over.

steve m

posted on 7/4/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Another good reason to stick the road fund licence on fuel

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brook_lands
Now if it is now done online in real time there is no reason why it cannot be done per day either for purchase of refund

That's the main thing I didn't understand, an online system should allow taxing at any time, but they have already set it would allow monthly, bi-annual or annual payments. So no per day option.

Although even if it's monthly, they haven't actually said it has to be a whole month, it just has to be one twelfth of a year. Perhaps there is some sense in it?

I doubt it though...

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Another good reason to stick the road fund licence on fuel

Yep, a thousand times yep. Remove an entire section of government workload, probably increase it as they go, and all we'd see is less than a penny going on a litre of fuel. The more efficient engines would still get their break, the motorway munchers would pay more than the old biddy going to the shops, I just can't see a downside to it.

coyoteboy

posted on 7/4/14 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
The down side is that they will have run the numbers and expect to get less back via the fuel route, so they won't do it.

Plus they use the tax application as the point of checking insurance and MOT are present and correct.

Plus they'd have to make a vast swathe of public sector workers redundant, which won't go well.

daveb666

posted on 7/4/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
how anyone can tell if the tax on the car is in your name or the previous owners?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

tegwin

posted on 7/4/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably if its not insured and taxed by the same keeper then an auto fine will be dispatched.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

silky16v

posted on 7/4/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
going to be a lot of cars moved around at the end of each month and most likely people not taxing cars correctly

seller sells car on last day of month and then declares a SORN as well, new owner taxes car next day, but will the new owner be fined for the period of untaxed?

just like Registration documents this should be online as well with a time stamp
so you sell your car you fill V5C out online
current owner automatically get tax rebate and the new owner must pay for tax
but it should be done on a daily basis not monthly

scam pure and simple it will also be to try and cut out rouge traders not declaring there on the side income
as genuine dealers will have trade plates

[Edited on 7/4/14 by silky16v]

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The down side is that they will have run the numbers and expect to get less back via the fuel route, so they won't do it..

Nah, they could easily work out how much tax they currently earn from fuel use, figure out what percentage of that will exceed their current road fund income, then increase it to suit. Increase it year on year just for the hell of it... And then add a bit more to fund their xmas party...

I am expecting so many people to mess it up though, for example buy a car advertised with 12 months tax, not realising that the current owner will get that back and they'll have to fork out for another hundred or so on top of the car they've just bought.

SteveWalker

posted on 7/4/14 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
The down side is that they will have run the numbers and expect to get less back via the fuel route, so they won't do it.

Plus they use the tax application as the point of checking insurance and MOT are present and correct.

Plus they'd have to make a vast swathe of public sector workers redundant, which won't go well.

Just adjust the tax added to the fuel to make it cost neutral - bearing in mind that they'd have just removed a whole raft of paperwork.

Why do they need to check MOT and insurance when taxing the car? It's all on computer now and can be (and is) checked continuously - hence you must declare SORN if either tax or insurance runs out or face a fine. Adding the MOT to that would be trivial, as it is already on the computers.

As to the last, when companies have made efficiencies, my work has disappeared and I've had to find something else, public sector workers should be no different.

jacko

posted on 7/4/14 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silky16v
going to be a lot of cars moved around at the end of each month and most likely people not taxing cars correctly

seller sells car on last day of month and then declares a SORN as well, new owner taxes car next day, but will the new owner be fined for the period of untaxed?

just like Registration documents this should be online as well with a time stamp
so you sell your car you fill V5C out online
current owner automatically get tax rebate and the new owner must pay for tax
but it should be done on a daily basis not monthly

scam pure and simple it will also be to try and cut out rouge traders not declaring there on the side income
as genuine dealers will have trade plates

NOT every one has computers so the post office will have to do some tax
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.