Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stubborn studs
Benzine

posted on 21/4/14 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Stubborn studs

I have this little turbo, TD04. He is small, and very funny.

Two of the exhaust studs came out with no problems. The other two started to undo for about 3 turns. Then they became stiff, and then even turning them back the way they became stiff. One I can turn about 45 degrees, the other about 120. Heat only seems to make them stiffer. Soaking in penetrating oil isn't helping. Why have they done this? How would you go about releasing them?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
olimarler

posted on 21/4/14 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have a stud puller wrench would work a treat! Chrome vanadium do one used them on my head bolts on my mr2 turbo

Oli

[Edited on 21/4/14 by olimarler]

olimarler

posted on 21/4/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/160786498077?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=t&adtype=pla &crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
adithorp

posted on 21/4/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like they've dragged the threads in the bottom of the hole. Often caused by the stud screwing right to the bottom of the tapped hole and damaging the end thread. As the damaged bit on the stud gets to the good threads in the casting it binds up.

Not a lot of choice but to force them out and (if the threads are damaged) fit heli-coils in my experience.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

olimarler

posted on 21/4/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Never had damage to the holes using the stud puller. The stud was screwed though.
coozer

posted on 21/4/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Electrolysis my friend....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/4/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar thing happen on my exact same turbo. One of the studs seemed fairly loose, but just jammed up like yours.
Ended up drilling it out.

In my case I used a bolt instead as it was accessible from both sides in my car. Seems to work fine like that for me.

Matt

Benzine

posted on 22/4/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Electrolysis sounds like a good idea. How do those stud pullers work? I have no problems with gripping the stud, if I turn it any more the studs will shear

The other thing I could try is putting it in a pan of v hot oil. I've used that with great success recently but only just remembered

[Edited on 22-4-2014 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_424

posted on 22/4/14 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Some people have good luck with heating the area up hot and pushing a candle or other source of wax into the joint, seems to flow right down into the threads and help.
DW100

posted on 22/4/14 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I have a stud puller wrench would work a treat! Chrome vanadium do one used them on my head bolts on my mr2 turbo

Oli

Are you thinking that Chrome Vanadium is a make of tool?

olimarler

posted on 22/4/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
quote:

Oli

Lol oooops just copied down what was on the tool

olimarler

posted on 22/4/14 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Electrolysis sounds like a good idea. How do those stud pullers work? I have no problems with gripping the stud, if I turn it any more the studs will shear

The other thing I could try is putting it in a pan of v hot oil. I've used that with great success recently but only just remembered

Difficult to explain. But you Place the puller over the stud and then turn with wrench. It tightens itself around the stud and grips onto it.

Oli

adithorp

posted on 22/4/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olimarler
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
...How do those stud pullers work? I have no problems with gripping the stud, if I turn it any more the studs will shear

Difficult to explain. But you Place the puller over the stud and then turn with wrench. It tightens itself around the stud and grips onto it.

Oli

So it's not really going to help.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Matt21

posted on 22/4/14 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
quote:

Oli

someone had to ask
ive got to admit, it gave me a little chuckle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.