Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to drive... an automatic!
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/6/14 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Keeping the box in drive isn't a good idea as it can cause the transmission fluid to overheat due to slipping the internal clutches OK on a hire car but you wouldn't want to pay for repairs on your own car . Don't forget auto cars only start in N or P although some now only start in P

There's no slipping of the clutches, it doesn't work like that, that's why there's a torque convertor. You'll actually increase the wear on the clutches by going from drive to neutral and back everytime you stop/start. The gearbox oil is cooled in the normal radiator there's no risk of overheating.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 21/7/14 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a DSG equipped Passat.

Sitting stationary, there is definite load on the clutch pack, broadly similar to that you feel when engaging air con.
As it's a real, honest to goodness, clutch pack, which might wear out, I prefer to engage neutral at idle.

I also use the autohold, so I don't have my foot on the brake and it responds quicker than the parking brake when moving off again.

If I really wanted, I could leave it in D and authold would do the rest, but for the reasons above, I much prefer neutral.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.