Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tow Bar
stevebubs

posted on 13/6/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tow Bar

Torn between this..

Witter Towbar for Ford Mondeo Estate 2001-2007 - Detachable Tow Bar | eBay
itter Ford Mondeo Estate 2000-2007 Detachable Towbar (not ST200) (inc. ST TDCi, Ghia, GHia X, Titanium, Titanium X and Edge models)

and this..

Towbar Detachable + Electric Kit Ford Mondeo 2000 On Estate Turnier MkIII Mk3

50% difference in price; Witter is obviously more desirable but it's 50% more.....thoughts on the cheaper option welcome....

[Edited on 13/6/14 by stevebubs]

owelly

posted on 13/6/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Discount Towing, Towequipe and Towsure. Imho, the Witter bars are no better than the cheaper ones. They all need another coat of paint before fitting or they'll start to go rusty.
As long as the bar has a CE cert, then you should be fine!

http://www.towequipe.co.uk/
http://www.towsure.com/

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 14/6/14 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Do you want it removable ?

I have fitted around ten over the years. On my Impreza I did and my Mg I did. I had a Witter on the Impreza and a Thule on the Mg. I thought the Witter quick release was a much better design than the Thule. They where both a perfect fit and VERY solid.

I am now on the look out for a mk3 Mondeo hatch tow bar. I wont care if its visible, in fact its a bonus not having to get on your knees when the weather is crap.

So anything that is type approved or the equivalent will be fine for me.

The mk2 Mondeo was the worst to fit I've done I hope the mk3 is better. As Owelly says consider the shipping finish a primer or it will look like a boat anchor with in three months.

They are so solid I am happy to buy second hand. Most see little use, just make sure you get things like the crush tubes with them.

stevebubs

posted on 15/6/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Warren,

Decided that removable wasn't that important to me sort ordered a Fixed flange on with Electrics from PF Jones' ebay store

£75 all in including electrics (universal single 7 way)

Will be fitting as soon as I get it so I'll let you know how hard it is!! (Mine is a Mk 3 Estate, though)

Stephen

[Edited on 15/6/14 by stevebubs]

[Edited on 15/6/14 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 18/6/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Received and fitted (Apart from the wiring)

Pretty solid and straightforward to install.

Doesn't appear to affect the rear parking sensors when no trailer attached.

Just need to wire it in now...wiring run into the car, just need to splice into the loom.

[Edited on 18/6/14 by stevebubs]

posted on 19/6/14 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Instead of cutting into the loom or using those awful Scotchlok things I find it best to connect into the rear light units.

My Passat has the spade connectors built into the light back plate specifically for this purpose.

HTH
Paul G

whitestu

posted on 19/6/14 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just need to wire it in now...wiring run into the car, just need to splice into the loom.

Does it need a relay unit so the canbus doesn't get upset? I'm looking at getting a towbar on my Mk4 and I think that's what I'll need to do.

Stu

stevebubs

posted on 19/6/14 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
7 way relay not required on the Mk 3; Mk 4 does require it, though - been looking for my dad.

[Edited on 19/6/14 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 19/6/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Instead of cutting into the loom or using those awful Scotchlok things I find it best to connect into the rear light units.

My Passat has the spade connectors built into the light back plate specifically for this purpose.

HTH
Paul G

I'll take a look again this evening but I don't think he Mondeo does. Trying to find a source of a couple of pairs of OEM loom connectors - like below

Description
Description

posted on 19/6/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Even though a relay isn't necessary for ease of wiring and neatness I used one anyway. (B5 Passat)

I have a first aid cubby hole that's never had a first aid box in it thats between the o/s rear light and a power socket. (cig lighter)

Seemed a shame not to use it.

Power in from the left via a fuse.
7 core into the bottom of the relay. White wire to earth.

5 wires into the o/s light unit with 2 (grey & yellow) across to n/s light unit. (left rear light & indicator)

Indicator buzzer is built in the relay so keeps it legal, and the best bit is no cut wires or scotchloks.

If I say so myself that's a neat solution. ( I have to. No other bu**er will. )

Paul G

VW B5 tow bar wiring
VW B5 tow bar wiring

[Edited on 19/6/14 by 907]

stevebubs

posted on 19/6/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Even though a relay isn't necessary for ease of wiring and neatness I used one anyway. (B5 Passat)

I have a first aid cubby hole that's never had a first aid box in it thats between the o/s rear light and a power socket. (cig lighter)

Seemed a shame not to use it.

Looks good but lack of butchering is predicated on having somewhere available to connect them. Pretty sure the Mondeo doesn't; I'd therefore like to get hold of some oem connectors so I can build a "Y" Cable into the loom and make it look professional.

PS Have an audible buzzer with the kit; planning on mounting this by the CD auto changer / SatNav DVD in the boot.

[Edited on 19/6/14 by stevebubs]

big_wasa

posted on 23/7/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just done my mk3. Found a second hand bar for £40

Very easy to do much better than a mk2. I spliced into the loom and soldered it up. It come with the 7 way by pass but I didn't bother using it as it was very cheap and nasty looking.

mark chandler

posted on 23/7/14 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Seek out a second hand bar, it's not like there is a lot to go wrong, car dealers used to pull them off cars to hide the fact they were ever fitted and chuck in the bin.

I have always used the boxes of tricks, with CANBUS etc better to isolate if possible, spend a few £ or risk £££

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.