Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer tyre-wheel size change?
adithorp

posted on 26/7/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Trailer tyre-wheel size change?

My Brian James trailer currently has 145/80/10 tyres on 3.5j rims. The it needs new tyres and the rims are getting a bit corroded (not just cosmetic) so I'm looking at changing the lot.

It's always swayed a fair bit and the tyres just don't look up to the job, although thats what BJ designed it with and is within the load ratings for. So I'm thinking of going to 195/55/13 on 6j rims like you see on some small plant trailers. I want to stick with 10" as the ride height is OK and would be effected if I went to 12 or 13" whereas these are only fractionaly different overall diameter.

Can anyone see any downsides, other than cost and I'd need wider mudguards?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MkII

posted on 26/7/14 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
The problem I've had with low profile tyres on twin axle trailers
is that when turning sharp corners the tyres are being dragged sideways
and the sidewalls are very easily damaged on anything sharp or rough
such as potholes gravel car parks or the edges of manhole covers.
hth. .m.

bigfoot4616

posted on 26/7/14 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
my brian james minno has the same size 10" tyres as you and is totally stable when towing even at speeds you shouldn't really tow at.
you sure its not something else causing it to sway about

[Edited on 26/7/14 by bigfoot4616]

adithorp

posted on 26/7/14 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's a single axle trailer so doesn't suffer from the man-handling problems of a twin. I'm not 100% on the model but it looks like a single axle version of the older Minno's. The bed is pre-drilled for both single or double axle positions. I've recently moved the axle forward to the front axle position and then shortened it at the back of the bed. 2' less (un-needed) length makes for easier storage.

To be fair the swaying usually occurs when going a bit quick and then having to react to someone else doing something silly. Mostly I just don't like the look of the 145's; They just look too small for the job.

K13JOB

posted on 26/7/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Moving the axle forward will have made it less stable.

on my single axle trailer we fitted 12" mini wheels which allowed the higher rated 12" tyres and it was much better and with them running at much lower than the max rate it also felt much more safe and stable unlike the 10s which were technically legal but near the rated limit.

[Edited on 26/7/14 by K13JOB]

adithorp

posted on 26/7/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by K13JOB
Moving the axle forward will have made it less stable.

on my single axle trailer we fitted 12" mini wheels which allowed the higher rated 12" tyres and it was much better and with them running at much lower than the max rate it also felt much more safe and stable unlike the 10s which were technically legal but near the rated limit.

[Edited on 26/7/14 by K13JOB]

Sorry if it wasn't clear; I moved the axle forward into another set of mounting holes and then shortened the rear. The relative proportions are still (almost) same. The nose weight is actually slightly better now as it was a bit high before. Although a shorter wheelbase is inherently less stable it's not significantly shorter and it tows better now than before.

bigfoot4616

posted on 26/7/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
never thought about it being single axle when you said it was on 145/10's. i always thought they would be on bigger wheels with only having 2 of them.

not saying you wont be able to improve it but a single axle is never going to be that stable at speed. i was surprised at how much andyd's single axle trailer with his westy on moved about when i was following him at 70, although he said it felt ok in the car.

posted on 27/7/14 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
My Brian James trailer currently has 145/80/10 tyres on 3.5j rims. The it needs new tyres and the rims are getting a bit corroded (not just cosmetic) so I'm looking at changing the lot.

It's always swayed a fair bit and the tyres just don't look up to the job, although thats what BJ designed it with and is within the load ratings for. So I'm thinking of going to 195/55/13 on 6j rims like you see on some small plant trailers. I want to stick with 10" as the ride height is OK and would be effected if I went to 12 or 13" whereas these are only fractionaly different overall diameter.

Can anyone see any downsides, other than cost and I'd need wider mudguards?

Hi

I'm assuming a typo when you say "So I'm thinking of going to 195/55/13 on 6j rims like you see on some small plant trailers"
and that you mean 195/55/10.

I have a twin axle car trailer fitted with 195/55/R10's and would highly recommend them.
They have far less sideways flex than 145/80/10 (Mini) tyres/wheels and the only downside I can see is cost.
That said Mini tyres are no longer a cheap option and the trailer specific (4 ply ? ) wheels/tyres don't take the weight.

HTH
Cheers,
Paul G

adithorp

posted on 27/7/14 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, typo I hadn't spotted.

adithorp

posted on 3/8/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Update... I changed over to the 195/5/13's and it's a big improvement both in ride and looks.

Biggest problem was finding mudguards that fitted. In the end I made some from the old ones and the top of a plastic barrel and they look pretty good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.