Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop airconditioning
karlak

posted on 13/8/14 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop airconditioning

The aircon on the 1.2 SXi Corsa has not been working since we got the car a few months back, so I though it was time to sort it.

I have taken it for a regas today which showed that it still had pressure and 480g of old gas was removed, it has been cleaned and regased with 650g of new gas, pressure tested and all appears OK.

However, we still get no cold air.

The orange light lights and revs drop when the AC button is pressed as expected -
The "centre" part of the compressor doesn't rotate when the switch is off and on - It will turn by hand so not seized.

I understand there will be a "low pressure" switch somewhere, does anyone know where it is and how to test it ? Can I test for 12volts on the compressor plug ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

mark chandler

posted on 13/8/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you drop 12v straight onto the compressor wire then the pump will run and the system will work without the security so only do this to test.

Hand on the pipes, one should get hot, the other cold which will prove the compressor, do this first incase it's flaps in the airbox not working, after that it's manual out and work out which bits do what and bypass until you get the correct conditions to run the compressor I,m afraid the refrigerant will need to be removed to replace pressure switches.

If the revs drop it sounds like it's working tbh

big_wasa

posted on 13/8/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
There is a 12v magnetic clutch at the compressor so you will be able to turn it by hand if its not engaged. I have half an idea how fords work as the ac is controlled by the engine ecu.

I would start and see if your getting power out of the compressor relay and fuse.

mark chandler

posted on 13/8/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Another possibility is the clutch us working but the drive has a shear pin, you get this on VAG cars so if the compressor seizes it still appears to be okay
rusty nuts

posted on 13/8/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Check for power down to the compressor clutch before doing anything else. Some compressors have a diode that can fail causing the clutch not to work , it may be possible to bypass the diode
morcus

posted on 13/8/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that once you got to the point where the AC does pretty much nothing when it's on it's fubarred, that said on the two new(ish) cars I've owned I've had the system serviced annually to keep it good, and the hit and miss ones I've had in old cars I've not bothered with.

How long have you been running it since you've had it gassed?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

karlak

posted on 13/8/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I was under the impression that once you got to the point where the AC does pretty much nothing when it's on it's fubarred, that said on the two new(ish) cars I've owned I've had the system serviced annually to keep it good, and the hit and miss ones I've had in old cars I've not bothered with.

How long have you been running it since you've had it gassed?

Ran it for around 30 mins since regas, but observing the compressor it is not kicking in.

Apparently, a regas can "bring it back to life", if the pressure had dropped too low. Mate had his Golf regas'd last month which fixed his Aircon, the pressure had dropped too low.

We only picked this car up recently as a first car for my Son, so I am not sure how the air-con has been treated.

morcus

posted on 14/8/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
First car shouldn't have working AC anyway

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

karlak

posted on 14/8/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
First car shouldn't have working AC anyway

It bloody should when i borrow the thing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.