Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rosberg the smoking gun.
britishtrident

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Rosberg the smoking gun.

From Sky website. Note the angle of Rosberg's wheel!

[Edited on 25/8/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Dopdog

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like he is a bad lad
JoelP

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
A very foolish move either way, because the likely outcome would be his wing being lost and often no damage to the back of the other car.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't it about time that, with
all this evidence, including Rosberg admitting to Lewis he did it to prove a point, that Rosberg had some points/results taken away?

There should have been a damn good tussle for the front but yet again we were robbed

[Edited on 25/8/14 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

CNHSS1

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect that Mercedes will reprimand Rosberg in house, although it may never be made public. Globally Lewis is seen as the 'working mans hero' in comparison to Rosbergs charmed upbringing (rightly or wrongly), so from the bad PR press that Mercedes will field alone, they don't want to be seen as ignoring it. Lauda and Toto Wolff are cheesed off, and neither want to lose Hamilton, especially if the rumours that Ron Dennis is courting Lewis for a return to McLaren as they will have Honda engines and dollars next season. Im sure Red Bull would throw their hat in the ring for his services if vettel jumps ship to Ferrari too

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

K13JOB

posted on 25/8/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
The picture above shows a driver with the correct amount of steering to avoid going off the track.

It is about time Lewis grew up, Nico clearly did back out but misjudged it by a few cm, also don't forget English is only his 3rd language (although better than some native speakers) so don't read too much into the subtle meaning of his words.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 25/8/14 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with last post misjudged racing incident ...
snapper

posted on 25/8/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rosberg avoided then turned in
No doubt, a malicious act

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rdodger

posted on 25/8/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Or avoided, then turned in to make the corner slightly early. We are only talking an inch or 2 here.

In those circumstances you would expect Nico to come off much worse than Lewis. A broken wing with Lewis no damage at all.

If Nico said he was "making a point" I would think the point was he was going to race and not let Lewis drive away. Not that he intended to crash into him.

jimmyd

posted on 25/8/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
TBH I would have thought that that amount of steering input would have been fully lock on a F1 car with a rack set for that circuit. Not convinced this is a genuine photo.

Regards of that I do not believe the incident to be deliberate. Clearly there was an intention to show Hamilton he was there to fight for the place and was 3/4 of the way past before have to back off a little as Hamilton wasn't going to yield. There is no way anyone in their right mind in an open wheeler would expect to come out best by attacking the rear of another car with their front wheel. I also don't believe that he could time it so well that his front wing only punctured the tyre and didn't run the risk of ending up having his own nose cone stuck under his own car.

Sorry yet another conspiracy theory running a mock.

J

joneh

posted on 25/8/14 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Racing incident IMO as Coulthard says. He's steering to avoid going off track and misjudged it.
jollygreengiant

posted on 25/8/14 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm NOT coming down on EITHER side of the "discussion", but my point would be this.
These are supposed to be the "best" drivers in the world, millimeter perfect, lap after lap, driving their cars to as perfect a lap "delta" (or we are told) time, again lap after lap. I find it hard to "believe" that these drivers DO NOT know exactly where the corners of their cars are. I also find it believable that a driver would know where his front wing end plate (lots of lovely stiff sharp carbon) was and that a driver would know that a slight rear wheel kiss with the end plate would give the other car a puncture. This would also be best "done" just after the pit exit as it's then the maximum run to the pits with the greatest risk floor damage. Ok I'd have damage to my front wing, best case it would make no real change to my delta, worst case I have to change my wing. They KNOW their cars, they are the tools of their trade. Just think how well YOU know the tools of your trade.

Right, I'm off to get my popcorn now.

Copied and pasted from T'other thread on the same theme.

(edit bit : a 'y' put on the at the start of the last paragraph. )

[Edited on 27/8/14 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 25/8/14 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
As has been said, I really have similar doubts over that picture.
Even on my F397, that amount of steering lock would see the rear end clouting Hamilton!

My perspective is that this was purely an accident. It's just far too dangerous to risk hittimg a front wing on these cars, they break, they fall under the car, they're a race-ending failure.

It's racing, this is racing. Hamilton put his car in front of the only other car on the circuit able to race and catch him, and catch him it did. The only way to prevent such a 'racing' incident is to ban the idea of racing, I hope Mercedes are not contemplating it. I can't be the only one that will turn the TV off if the cars aren't allowed to race.

Rubbins' Racing, Racing's Rubbin'

StevieB

posted on 25/8/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would have agreed it was a racing incident, if the fall out and statements post race hadn't been made (let's not forget Hamiltonian claims were largely corroborated, if in a slightly more toned down manner, by the team).

Rosberg had a bad PR weekend in general, after choosing to alienate himself from British fans in the manner he did also - I wonder how his mainly british team from Brackley will feel about this...

Mercedes will no doubt deal with it in house, but like the Red Bull Multi 21 incident, it will make no difference as they can't (and wouldnt ever) take points from him so the damage is done to Hamiltonian championship effort and all Rosberg can have is a slap on the wrist, a bit of cold shoulder around the factory and maybe a few quid out of his pocket (all of which he can afford).

From Toto Wolff's post race reaction, I wouldn't have minded being a fly on the wall in that debrief though...

ETA - I don't think Rosberg would have ever intended to hit the car as the implications to his own race were clear. I think what we're seeing here is his refusal to admit he was wrong and try to brass it (so as not to look weak) out going badly wrong for him and the hole he's digging for himself getting deeper. We've all done it in the heat of the moment.

[Edited on 25/8/14 by StevieB]

franky

posted on 25/8/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
So Hamilton is having a cry....... how many people has he punted off track in the past few years? How many times has he ignored team orders?

Do you really think Rosberg would think " ok i'll hit hamilton with my wing as i'll get off scott free"?

Its a racing incident and the media are making a storm over it as there's nothing else going on in F1.

Surrey Dave

posted on 25/8/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Not too bothered but...............

I guess Rosberg was trying to make the point that Hamilton can't expect him to jump out of the way every time he chops his nose off ,(which he has done a few times this year!).

Hamilton even ran him off the circuit in rude style at Hungary.

Having said that I can remember Rosberg driving Alonso off the track many times at a race last year with really exaggerated defensive maneuvers.

I'm not a fan of this looking in your mirrors and block style of driving, I really can't imagine Jim Clark doing that stuff!

[Edited on 26/8/14 by Surrey Dave]

Benzine

posted on 25/8/14 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 25/8/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
So Hamilton is having a cry....... how many people has he punted off track in the past few years? How many times has he ignored team orders?

Do you really think Rosberg would think " ok i'll hit hamilton with my wing as i'll get off scott free"?

Its a racing incident and the media are making a storm over it as there's nothing else going on in F1.

If it's really just another racing incident then why has Toto Wolff stated that Rosberg admitted that he could have avoided the accident but chose not to in order to make a point?

Are you suggesting Wolff just a fawning Hamilton fan who will say anything to protect his favourite, or is it more likely he is utterly pissed off by the unprofessional and unsporting behaviour of one of his drivers?

tweek

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

If it's really just another racing incident then why has Toto Wolff stated that Rosberg admitted that he could have avoided the accident but chose not to in order to make a point?

Are you suggesting Wolff just a fawning Hamilton fan who will say anything to protect his favourite, or is it more likely he is utterly pissed off by the unprofessional and unsporting behaviour of one of his drivers?

Toto is seeing the bigger picture, the incident cost Mercedes an almost certain 1-2 and all the marketing kudos that goes with it. Instead they have a mini war breaking out between the drivers and I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of flack from the mercedes board for not preventing it.

Without getting inside Rosbergs head it's impossible to know his true intent. But if he was 'trying to make a point', as it's claimed he said, the only point he ended up making was that he doesn't give a crap about what the team tell him to do - that's what I think is making toto so mad.

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

franky

posted on 26/8/14 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tweek
quote:
quote:

Toto is seeing the bigger picture, the incident cost Mercedes an almost certain 1-2 and all the marketing kudos that goes with it. Instead they have a mini war breaking out between the drivers and I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of flack from the mercedes board for not preventing it.

Without getting inside Rosbergs head it's impossible to know his true intent. But if he was 'trying to make a point', as it's claimed he said, the only point he ended up making was that he doesn't give a crap about what the team tell him to do - that's what I think is making toto so mad.

Maybe he thinks he shouldn't give a crap because Hamilton certainly doesn't.

JoelP

posted on 26/8/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
The video above explains why he was caught on a still at full lock - he'd just had a twitch of the back end. Watch it close. Nothing unusual there. And it has to be said, rosberg had a choice between being pushed off track, or hold his line as Hamilton moved across. He just chose this time not to be the guy who always bends over when asked.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

tweek

posted on 26/8/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tweek
quote:
quote:

Maybe he thinks he shouldn't give a crap because Hamilton certainly doesn't.

Probably true, unfortunately by taking his teammate out he's handed Lewis the advantage with the team. That's the golden rule of team Motorsport.

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

Alfa145

posted on 26/8/14 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
A cheating German in F1? Haven't we been here before?
hughpinder

posted on 26/8/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I think it was very unprofessional of Rosberg, as it cost his team 25 points (well likely to have anyway) and could easily have been 43 points. It was only 2 laps into the race and he could have given a little more space and still been in the DRS zone then passed properly. If I was cynical you could say he could take a chance on damage to his car as there was only really Hamilton that was a danger to him from the world championship point of view, and it was likely that if they crashed then: both go out (no issue to him as he'd still be ahead of Hamilton), or just Hamilton would go out (a good result from his perspective), or if he went out and Hamilton kept going there was still the chance that he wouldnt win the race. Now of course Rosberg can push his luck much more than Hamilton, as Hamilton probably has to finish every race in the top 2 to have any chance.
Hugh

jwhatley

posted on 26/8/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the video on this report the one with Ted Kravits, some good slow-mo footage:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472/9440096/nico-rosberg-says-his-version-of-mercedes-spa-debrief-very-different-to-hamiltons#ooid=55MHJ0bzryrsdhs vZLnmoRypiE15ozqU

Racing incident IMHO, all be it a clumsy move by Rosberg. He corrected oversteer as he was carrying more speed in to the corner. After correcting, tried to get back to his line otherwise he would have had to bail out on the corner and loose more time like we saw Vettel do in the race on Lap 1. Misjudged and hit the back of Hamilton's car.

Now, should Rosberg have put himself in that position on lap two, with your team mate of all people? Well he obviously thought he could make the move stick hence not backing out. But this is the point that people are trying to work out - Did he not back out to prove a point? Ultimately i don't believe he intended to cause a collision, as to be that inch perfect with the front wing on the rear wheel of Hamilton's car is impossible from there viewing angle. The area that is weakest and most susceptible to a puncture is only 15-20mm wide on the sidewall of the tyre. There is no way he could have judged that.

As far as race craft goes, Hamilton is in another league to Rosberg. The last few races prove this, and i think it would be a completely different situation if Nico had encountered the misfortune that Lewis has. This might have also been a point Nico was trying to prove - I am as gutsy racer as my team mate.

The media love a good inter team battle, so this till be hyped up for weeks.

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.