Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG TF rear towing eye for bike rack
Simon

posted on 19/9/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
MG TF rear towing eye for bike rack

Folks,

Towbars aren't available for the TF as it's not allowed to tow obviously, so mounting a bike rack becomes a bit awkward.

Anyway, it has a towing eye at the rear which appears to be very strong (can't bend it by hand), so I'm thinking of making a bike rack to fit that.

If I remove wheels and seat, I can get bike weight down to about 22 lb.

My q is, do we think it will think it'll be strong enough, or perhaps combine with a boot mounted luggage rack.

Cheers all

ATB

Simon

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/9/14 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt it. It is meant to take a load pulling, not at right angles. It may be OK static, but going over bumps etc at any speed???
Why not use a boot mounted rack?

posted on 20/9/14 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I would make a light weight tow bar type of frame, perhaps from 30 mm box, instead of the massive tow bar material.
You just need it designed for 100kg instead of the 2000kg pull of a tow bar. Don't need the electrics.

I made one to fit a caravan a while back to take a Thule carrier. He had two little fold up's that they used to pop to the shops.

I have a ball mounted Thule that I use myself. It's supposed to take three but I can't imagine three bikes that would
intermesh in the space available, but it take two easily.

HTH
Paul G

big_wasa

posted on 20/9/14 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
As above, is not type approved for a tow bar but there is no reason you can't make up some thing to bolt to the rear sub frame to take a bike rack.

The weight of even four bikes and the carrier should not exceed 75kg, that is the nose weight limit for most cars.

With only two seats you only need two bikes so should be much less than that.

Our four bike rack sits fine at any speed.

rusty nuts

posted on 20/9/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you do go ahead and build a bike carrier mount you will need a light board if the bikes obscure your rear lights

posted on 20/9/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^^

I got over this by removing half my spokes.

Paul G

less spokes is more speed
less spokes is more speed

MikeRJ

posted on 20/9/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
This might give you an idea. Ground clearance looks a bit suspect and I wouldn't want to tow anything remotely heavy, but it would be fine for a bike carrier.
Simon

posted on 21/9/14 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the replies folks - ended up in Halfords looking at dab radios - decided to think on one of those for a while, but looked at bike racks instead and they had a two bike boot mounted rack for £35 (+light board) so got that instead. Happy days, assuming it doesn't drop the bike on the road

Would've cost that, plus a load of time to make. May need to modify but hey ho.....

Cheers again

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.