Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another DVLA change that I didn't know about
Slimy38

posted on 27/9/14 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Another DVLA change that I didn't know about

Along with the road tax disc being abolished, it seems driving licences will lose their paper counterpart from next year;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

To be honest, I never understood the paper counterpart, it seemed to be a desperate attempt to cling on to the old way of working. And the one time I needed to present my driving licence, I only had the photocard available and spent several days looking for the bit of paper!

owelly

posted on 27/9/14 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I hired a car and took along my card license but they wanted to see the paper counter-part. Because I didn't have it, they charged me another £10 because they had to phone DVLA to check I had no endorsements!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 27/9/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've always felt the same, the one time you need it you can't find it and end up buying another one. The less bits of paper I need to remember the better.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/9/14 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
The only time I've needed mine, and that was recently too, was to (find and) photocopy for Adrian Flux.

Never has so much paperwork had to be provided to an insurance company... no requests yet for a blood sample (only a matter of time I guess).

coozer

posted on 27/9/14 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I carry mine cause Vosa insist you have it when they pull you over..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 27/9/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

It's not a legal requirement though? The various times I've been pulled over they've seemed annoyed that I don't have every piece of information immediately to hand, but it just means I have 7 days to take it to a police station.

coozer

posted on 27/9/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

It's not a legal requirement though? The various times I've been pulled over they've seemed annoyed that I don't have every piece of information immediately to hand, but it just means I have 7 days to take it to a police station.

Yep, its cause I'm a truck driver. We need to carry the licence, CPC card and tacho card with us all the time. If we don't its a £50 fine!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 27/9/14 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Something else I've just remembered, if like me you have CE or DE or any of the vocational classes are over 45 and need the D4 medical then the licence renewal is changing from 10 years to 5. Just sent my d4 off without a d2, which I didn't know about and they rejected it, so now unless they can find it and send it back I'm going to have to do the medical again and hope they sort it all out as my entitlement runs out 10th October and from then I'm off the road!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 27/9/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Fines have gone up, I thought the minimum was £100, on top of them three I have to carry my ADR as well.
morcus

posted on 27/9/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
My dad got told off once by a policeman for having all his paper work on him (Had V5, MOT Cert, License and Insurance) they said it was dodgy because it would be easy to steal, and would be lost if the car got wrecked as back then it was all on paper.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.