Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: E92 335i vs impreza hatch
Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
E92 335i vs impreza hatch

Does anyone have any experiance with either of these?

I'm after a new car and its been narrowed down to either a:

E92 BMW 335 coupe (petrol) 2007+
or Subaru Impreza sti hatchback 2007+

E92 - looks very sleek, nice looking interior, most are very high spec'd, about 30mpg, £600 to insure, £285 to tax, £10-15k (50-80k miles), 1800kg towing limit, 5.3secs 0-60

STI - looks very aggressive, better styled interior but some cheap feeling parts, average specs, engines are weak if more power wanted, 4wd, hatchback so boot can be used for dog, 27mpg, £600 to insure, £485 to tax, £10-15k (40-80k miles), 1200kg tow limit, 5.0secs 0-60

Thats all I know about these cars having not yet driven either, each has benefits from what i can see.

I currently have an e46 330ci, I'm abit worried the E92 wont seem different enough and I'll soon get bored.
RWD vs 4WD for the winter months too may sway it...

Whats your thoughts and experiences?

sdh2903

posted on 12/10/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
335 for me. Sti is horribly plasticky imo. The 335i also responds very well to a remap 360-370 bhp iirc. If you need to move the dog at speed how bout a 335 tourer? Just a curve ball have you looked at the 335d? There's not much in them performance wise.

They aren't 2 cars you normally you get compared side by side but imo they are leagues apart. Have you considered the audi S4?

ianm67

posted on 12/10/14 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Having owned Subarus, I doubt that you'll get anywhere near 27mpg out of it (particularly if you use the performance). The factory fuel economy figures are optimisitic to say the least. I typically got 16-17mpg out of mine and might squeeze 22mpg if I drove like Miss Daisy.......

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
There is only one, i think, 335i tourer for sale that's within my budget/requirements... and its silver (I'm not a silver car person)
The pooch manages fine in my E46 coupe, just I don't want the leather damaging and carpets filled with dog hair if I get a newer (fancy, for me) car.
The only downside with the E92 coupe are the same issues with my current car, for the size of it, you can get bugger all in it!!
And the fact it's hopeless in any sort of snow with no LSD (I didn't get to try my winter tyres!)

As for the diesel, yes I would certainly consider it, as long as it was a manual. I couldn't hack a diesel and an auto! They just tend to have done more miles and if they haven't then they cost more. But I wouldn't rule one out if it was right.

As for the S4, that was my first preference. An Avant... but you cant tow with them?!?!
With the 2009 onwards S4 you can tow 2100KG, but theyre over my budget and imo, a bit bland looking compared to the BMW, certainly not as sleek.

I take all the MPG figures with a pinch of salt, but at least you know they're all above what you actually get!

Can anyone else think of a car I have overlooked?

preferences:
good looking
practical space
towing capabilities
plenty of power
not completely ridiculous on fuel
4wd or rwd
~£13k
available in other colours than silver

twybrow

posted on 12/10/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 535D Tourer for sale - but it is silver, and all 335d/535d are all auto (suits the engine IMHO)!
hobbsy

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
How much are you after for your 535d and what are the specs?
Matt21

posted on 12/10/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I guess you mean all the 335d/535d tourers are autos? I'm sure I had seen manual coupes?

I'm not sure what it is with silver cars, but I just cant live with it.

HowardB

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sti and wrx are weapons.... I loved mine. . Did something over 500,000 miles in 5 cars... awesome. They are not about interior styling or fuel economy just out and out fun. They are alos great tow cars.

If fuel was closer to USA prices I would still drive one....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ettore bugatti

posted on 12/10/14 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
C55AMG seem to be in reach or an E500 estate if you like a bit of a Q car, automatic only.
sdh2903

posted on 12/10/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
I guess you mean all the 335d/535d tourers are autos? I'm sure I had seen manual coupes?

I'm not sure what it is with silver cars, but I just cant live with it.

The 335d and 535d were not produced in manual, all autos think it was something to do with the torque they produce. Guess bmw didn't fancy listening to people moaning about clutch failures.

I've seen a few of the 2009 on S4s just start to dip toward 15k I actually think they look better than the older ones and apparantly the 3.0 tfsi motor is a belter.

ashg

posted on 13/10/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
i would go for the bmw, you can drive the nuts off it every day of the week and it will still feel rock solid years later. the suburau's are fun but they are not a bmw! i have a 2010 e91 msport and its a very fun car, to drive quickly i dont think there is an estate out there that handles as well as the bmw.

go for the 330d rather than the 335d and you will get an manual. if i didnt have the dog and the requirement to tow and worked closer to home i would change mine for a 335i coupe in a heartbeat.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Matt21

posted on 13/10/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
It would be the coupe I get I think.

I dont think I can handle getting a diesel and an auto at the same time! as well as it being an estate (people will be asking when the babies due seems I have just got married!)

So I think it will be a 335i coupe for me, then in a few years when we're ready for kids i'll sell her mini for an estate

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.