Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connected cars
tegwin

posted on 5/12/14 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Connected cars

This bbc article about cars sending their location etc in event of a crash for me thinking.

What with auto braking cars, radar guided cruise control integrated satnav etc how long before driving your own car becomes a rare occurrence?

The more scary thing is how long before insurance companies start analysing your driving data after a crash to avoid paying out!?

Some long drives are dull and boring but I'd still rather drive myself than let a machine do it.... I'm quite young and this trend genuinely worries me.... We don't need this tech but it's being pushed because people will make money from it..... Sad times

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30337272

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

theprisioner

posted on 6/12/14 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
The crash avoidance stats on a google controlled cars look quite impressive. Eventually I guess you will get a lower premium if own one and that will drive the market. The noise limits at the track will be so low that you will have to drive an electric car. If F1(E) can do it they why not all the tracks.

I still keep playing the sound from my last track day last Sunday for the noise alone:

http://youtu.be/_uidzWq31YQ

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Oddified

posted on 6/12/14 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
It's only a matter of time

Some Insurance companies already off discounts for young drivers if they have a tracker/gps device fitted in their cars, reports back driving style, speeds, times, where and when. Take that a bit further and force them into most/all cars (or they become standard fitments in new cars...) and it's not far away that everyone may as well just be a passenger because there won't be any fun/enjoyment in driving on the road any more.

Ian

tegwin

posted on 6/12/14 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Grim! In sure there was a study somewhere that suggested people need to take risks, it's in our nature.... Drivin fullfills that to some extent...

I just wonder what happens after 5-10 years when things start to go wrong in these cars, it's going to cost a fortune to keep the electronics working properly....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

theconrodkid

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
there are already plenty of these gizmo,s fitted to everyday tin tops,soon you average dog will be able to go for a drive,the skills needed are being whittled away and when it all goes pear shaped and something fails they wont have a clue....just look at what happens when you get snow or fog.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

joneh

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, having spent around 6 hours this week sat on the M27. I'm all in favour of "road trains" where software maintains the spacings and speed. Maybe just in one lane and in rush hour only...
Slimy38

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I think the arrival of sat navs and the 'sheep' who blindly follow them off a cliff does suggest we'll never get to the 'Demolition Man' like nirvana of completely self driving cars. Even the relative popularity of manual gearboxes over automatics give a guide on how much control we want to retain (well, at least for the UK anyway!).

Having said that, now I have a C class with lots of toys, it does make long journeys very comfortable.

By the way, did anyone see the article where they mentioned the possible changes in driving tests? Not the night driving or motorway driving or anything useful like that, the new addition to a driving test is 'the ability to use a satnav'...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30249249

nick205

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Manual gearboxes will disappear as manufacturers phase them out. It's not or choice.

tegwin

posted on 6/12/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think the arrival of sat navs and the 'sheep' who blindly follow them off a cliff does suggest we'll never get to the 'Demolition Man' like nirvana of completely self driving cars. Even the relative popularity of manual gearboxes over automatics give a guide on how much control we want to retain (well, at least for the UK anyway!).

Having said that, now I have a C class with lots of toys, it does make long journeys very comfortable.

By the way, did anyone see the article where they mentioned the possible changes in driving tests? Not the night driving or motorway driving or anything useful like that, the new addition to a driving test is 'the ability to use a satnav'...

Yeah I saw that... Whats more odd is that they are planning to remove the three point turn as well..

Surely demonstrating that you have spacial awareness and control is kinda important?

I think they should insist everyone can read a map before they move onto a sat-nav....

big-vee-twin

posted on 6/12/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not far off now

link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

r1_pete

posted on 6/12/14 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another worry I have is that as people become more and more dependent on these aids, and 'forget' how to drive without them, what happens when they malfunction?

Sorry Officer, my driver aid failed and the car let me pull out and kill the motorcyclist......:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 6/12/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
My big worries with self driving cars is firstly, what happens when there's a crash? If my car is driving itself who's fault would it be if it hits another self driving car, or worse still one that's being driven by a person whos done nothing wrong. I was under the impression this issue was actually the main reason we don't have them already.

My second issue is one that comes from having lived in busy cities and I think is more important. One of the touted benefits of self driving cars is more efficient road use and near seamless merging of traffic and such, my fear is how will people be able to cross the roads as in busy cities and towns you'd have a constant chain of cars just inches apart, they'd not be able to stop quickly without injuring the passengers. Even with lights every car in the chain would have to come to a complete stop at green crossing lights until there was space for it the other side of the light (Though everyone should already be doing this but no one does)

I think self driving cars on the motorway is a brilliant idea, I recently drove a Golf with radar cruise control which was brilliant for driving through the road works on the M5. I completely agree though that too many people don't really know how to drive with out basic aids like power steering and abs (and anyone who's had the power steering go will really know how bad that can be) and with cars getting more complex and more expensive it seems to me the future is likely to have more systems going wrong.

Finally, theres always stuff in the paper about people following the sat nav down railways and into rivers, just imagine how much worse it would be if the car was driving itself as presumably there are currently hundreds more people every day ignoreing the sat nav when it says to do this.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

trextr7monkey

posted on 6/12/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting.
Just sorting out a dash cam for daughter as a Xmas pressie- some insurance companies offering discounts if you have one. I can only presume that the evidence from camera saves them from paying out much more than the discount they offer. Rule number 1- insurance compay never loses!
I'm getting old and cynical!
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

JoelP

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
On the flip side, I'm pretty sure that removing the human factor would significantly reduce the yearly death toll on the roads. You could realistically save 1500 lives a year. I for one will accept it when the time comes.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

davidimurray

posted on 6/12/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
One of the guys at work has a new Jag and I was having a read of the handbook. Says in there that speed, brake effort, steering angle, accelerometers are all logged and are available for the Police after an accident

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

mark chandler

posted on 6/12/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche are looking at virtual sims being built into the cars ECU's, opens a whole new raft of things on live data you can collect, also tracking, remote power down etc.

It's not the future, here now.

MikeRJ

posted on 7/12/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Yeah I saw that... Whats more odd is that they are planning to remove the three point turn as well..

Surely not? They need to add much more stringent reversing tests IMO, there are far too many people who are completely incapable of reversing more then a few feet without swerving to one side. Often meet people in the lanes who will simply refuse to reverse 20 yards back to a passing place, even if there are cars behind you.

morcus

posted on 7/12/14 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
They said they're keeping parallel parking and I'd assume they'll keep other reversing stuff like going around corners. I completely agree with you though that there should be more reversing as I used to have the same problem all the time in Bristol, usually at the end of streets because people were parked too close to corners so for the person entering the road reversing wouldn't be an option.

I think they should have a section of the test where they turn off all the driver aids, or maybe even the whole car to prove you can safely stop and get out of the middle of the road should it happen, obviously not on the actual road, I also think you should have to do the test twice in two different cars.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

DW100

posted on 8/12/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Cars are made to a price, not so they will never go wrong. They are filled with cheap electronics. Constant model change means new system aren't tested as thoroughly as they could be.

Several times a week I fix cars that have running faults, and faults with safety systems (i.e Airbags, stability control, ABS etc.) that are caused by water ingress and corrosion.

Some of these faults cause the vehicle to do strange and unexpected things.

I run a small garage down in Devon, I originally trained as an electronics engineer before moving into the family business. I undertake as much training as I can to keep up with the ever changing technology and invest heavily in diagnostic equipment and access to technical information. I understand these systems far better than most other mechanics and I see their short falls.

The Automotive industry very much suffers from an image problem and is still seen as the place for those that are not achieving academically at school to be pushed towards. Cars are getting ever more complex and beyond the understanding of many in the industry.

Vehicle electronics systems are not robust and reliable enough to be left alone to drive the car. Even in formula 1 where the specification of components is much higher you get many electronics faults. Jules Bianchi's accident is though to have been caused by the drive-by-wire braking not talking correctly to the safety systems(http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117031).

So where does this leave the future? Overly complicated cars that develop faults, park them selves to the side of the road for safety reasons, that no-one knows how to fix? disposable cars that have a life span of 12-18 months like phones?

[Edited on 8/12/14 by DW100]

whitestu

posted on 8/12/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
As per the points made previously I don't see how the risk and liability element will work. How will manufacturers deal with liability if a driverless car causes a crash?
Agriv8

posted on 8/12/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think insurance will loose out are cars are safer for occupants and pedestrians for example air bags crumple zones than they were 20 years ago the same will be same for cars with these systems on they will make it safer for all.

The dangerous bits are us unpredictable pink bits joining the pedals to the wheels.

I know planes cost millions of pounds but we are regularly flown and landed by computer why would a car be any more difficult to drive and insure least the maximum occupancy is likely to be 5 or 6 not 600. Yes pilots are there to take over but this is rare.

Black bosses for new drivers are the norm cameras watching our number plates logging locations more normal than we think a few years and they will be here. Drive by wire throttles are now standard on most cars !

ATB agriv8

[Edited on 8/12/14 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

DW100

posted on 8/12/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
What you are likely to see is reduced choice as a driver over what the car does.

There is already a move within the industry for cars to log faults, contact the manufacturer, who's agent will then call you to bring the car in to be fixed.

Imagine that the car can now drive itself. You wake up one morning and go outside to find the car has decided it needs urgent work and has driven to the dealer, sending you an email or text to let you know where it has gone. Not much help in getting you to work?

You'll get a bill (which you'll have no choice but to pay because the manufacturer say it'll affect the safety of other road users), once this is paid the car will return to you.

Will you be able to modify your car? No! It'll affect the safety of other road users.

Will you be able to build your own? No way!!

No more driving around for months with fault lights on because you are too busy or can't afford to fix it, you will have no choice.

TheGiantTribble

posted on 9/12/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Rather strangely this all makes me rather depressed
tegwin

posted on 9/12/14 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Me too! It's not just cars though, pretty much every aspect of life is slowly becoming computerised to the point where you almost feel choked by technology....

ste

posted on 9/12/14 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of people whinged when ABS was introduced "It is taking away our control of braking my car how I want" etc.

Now every car has it, it has drastically reduced road deaths due to the massive decrease in braking distance and the extra controllability when braking hard on a less than straight stretch of road.

We already fly around in aircraft that take off, fly and land using a computer whilst the pilot sits and watches, and that again has made flying safer.

Get with the times people

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.