Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Company Cars - any advice?
davidimurray

posted on 10/12/14 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Company Cars - any advice?

Recently had a promotion at work whihc brings the benefit of a company car. They give us an allowance to select a car from a 'catalogue' and you can add extra money in if you want something nicer. The car will be for 4 years when you get to pick another.

So any advise from the masses?

Looking for something mid size exec.

At the moment I've been looking At A3/A4, 3 Series BMW, Maybe C class Mercedes

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

Slimy38

posted on 10/12/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was in the same position as you, able to choose from Audi, BMW or Mercedes. I went for the 2014 C class C220, and I am really happy with the outcome. I got more 'as standard' with the C class than I could have had with Audi or BMW, and the new diesel is really good on emissions (which keeps BIK down).

I did put in extra for an automatic estate, I'm paying an extra £25 a month for those.

CNHSS1

posted on 10/12/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
seems the more premium manufacturers (BM, Audi, Merc etc) do offer some good deals, certainly larger value discounts than the fleet manufacturers (ford, Vauxhall, VW, Skoda). an example was rrp £35k and paid 27ish for it. Only issue is you are taxed on the P11D price, not the price paid, so potentially you could get two cars that you battle the dealer down to say £27k, but one will have a P11D £2k higher so youd pay more in tax for that one.

swings and the roundabouts ;-)

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

loggyboy

posted on 10/12/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is the money for extra you mention basically a lump sum added to salary to pay towards the up keep of your own car?
If so take this. Unless you do lots of miles, as the company car tax load is worse than income tax you pay on the bonus, so unless you do the miles to gain it back in what having your own car costs in extra finance/maintenance you have to allow for on your own car.
If it is like above, thats just like my old place, which let you can choose your own car, as long as its less than 5 years old, but this meant you could cop and change as often as you like and have the freedom of any car on the market.

Mistral Motorsport

simonrh

posted on 10/12/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I always try and keep my company car tax bill as far down as it will go while still getting a nice car out of it.

The mercedes engine seems to do best at that (or the "ultra" series audis if you dont mind audis)

I figure it is just transport and the stuff you come on to this forum to discuss is what keeps you sane / interested / alive.

I got a top spec mondeo with everything in it but running a 1.6 diesel so that co2 emissions were low and list price was sub 30k. Still tows / drives / breaks speed limit.

It costs me about £150 a month in tax and I dont reckon i could run a car of my own for that all-in. Some people get a really good allowance instead but if you dont then you need to keep an eye on co2 and list price.

By comparison I have a colleague with a hi-spec 520d and it costs him twice what mine does which is a whole pile of cash.

Next year's car is one of these PHEV outlanders as emissions and price means a bill of £65 per month.

ianm67

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda Octavia VRs Estate. Awesome motors. My company has two as 'pool cars'. Uber reliable, comfortable, fully loaded and not too pretentious to park outside a clients building.

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

loggyboy

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
Skoda Octavia VRs Estate. Awesome motors. My company has two as 'pool cars'. Uber reliable, comfortable, fully loaded and not too pretentious to park outside a clients building.

Look like a Taxi....

...or an unmarked rozzer.

Mistral Motorsport

simonrh

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67

Look like a Taxi....

...or an unmarked rozzer.

Tested a white petrol Vrs estate over the summer for a week.

Proper quick, liked the look of it but all it was missing was a yellow strip and lights

Slimy38

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simonrh
It costs me about £150 a month in tax and I dont reckon i could run a car of my own for that all-in. Some people get a really good allowance instead but if you dont then you need to keep an eye on co2 and list price.

By comparison I have a colleague with a hi-spec 520d and it costs him twice what mine does which is a whole pile of cash.

My C class is £180 a month in tax, and as a very similar comparison I have a colleague with a 320d m sport who pays just over £300 a month. And to be honest, I prefer the Merc... although the Beemer is monstrously quicker...

I don't know whether this is a standard thing in the world of tax, but basically I get paid 16p per mile for business miles. I spend about 10p per mile, so the rest is effectively profit. If I stick at that for the 18,000 miles I'm expecting to do, that offsets a huge chunk of the tax bill.

bi22le

posted on 10/12/14 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a modeo tit X 2L D and it costs a lot but far less than if i brought it.

There is an online P11D calculator that helps you work out the cost. I think a company car always works out cheaper than you buying and funding the equivalent so i just went for what i would normally spend on a car anyway.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Greenie

posted on 10/12/14 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Dint do it and enquire about a cash for car allowance.......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Greenie

posted on 10/12/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rdodger

posted on 10/12/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo V60 D4 is a good un. 181bhp and very low emissions. 99 CO2, 14% BIK, 0-60 6.9! The Business Ed is cheap too.

StevieB

posted on 10/12/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just about to return my 320d for a 520d - hard to go wrong with either car and both have co2 of 109, which is where the tax comes in. In fact, the 520 works out cheaper for me than if I went for a 320 estate (need the boot space!) and you can't fit a tow bar to a 3 series efficient dynamics model unless it's an auto.

davidimurray

posted on 10/12/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Our scheme at work is through Lex autolease so you can either have a cash allowance or the car, but the car allowance is about 35% more than the cash. Everything is included in that price except fuel (I,e, tax, insurance, servicing, tyres etc).

A 320d Efficient dynamics would work out at about £195 a month including contribution + tax
An A3 S-line 2.0TDI would be about £175 a month
A C-class C220 Bluetec Saloon would be about £225 a month

For those with a 3 series, have you gone for the M-sport suspension - reviews seem to recommend it, but not sure if that is just a car journalist thing!

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

sonic

posted on 10/12/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I do between 50 - 60,000 miles a year and have done for the last 25 years as a national sales manager.

The first thing i would consider is how many miles are you going to do and how much time are you going to spend in it.

I have listened to the BS about it costs this and that on tax, i dont care what people say you cannot put a brand new car on the drive, fully insured, taxed, serviced, tyres etc etc for what it will cost you in tax and the big plus is if you turn the key one day and it goes pop you tell them to take it away fix it and give you a courtesy car whilst you wait.

When you do as many miles as me you are well qualified to say what is a good car and what isn't, i have had most of them over the years.

If you want some honest advice let me know your criteria and i will point you in the right direction

All the best

Ps Don't believe all that Whatcar i have used it for a week and its a great car crap......

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 10/12/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
im in a similar position - my A4 Avant is up in Feb.

Its been an excellent car and i'd reccomend it for comfort reliability and space, but its a bit vanilla really.

I'm either changing to a A6 avant or 520d Touring depending on the deal. I'd love to buy british but the Jag XF is on the way out with its replacement not ready yet.

What about an XE? supposed to be excellent.

whitestu

posted on 10/12/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

This is the best advice so far.

nick205

posted on 10/12/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
I do between 50 - 60,000 miles a year and have done for the last 25 years as a national sales manager.

The first thing i would consider is how many miles are you going to do and how much time are you going to spend in it.

I have listened to the BS about it costs this and that on tax, i dont care what people say you cannot put a brand new car on the drive, fully insured, taxed, serviced, tyres etc etc for what it will cost you in tax and the big plus is if you turn the key one day and it goes pop you tell them to take it away fix it and give you a courtesy car whilst you wait.

When you do as many miles as me you are well qualified to say what is a good car and what isn't, i have had most of them over the years.

If you want some honest advice let me know your criteria and i will point you in the right direction

All the best

Ps Don't believe all that Whatcar i have used it for a week and its a great car crap......

I'd agree with that, it's the cheapest and least hassle way to drive a brand new decent spec car.

If you do the miles it makes even more sense.

It's also very liberating in the sense that you don't really care about the car.

I had company cars for a few years when driving anywhere from 30-50k/yr. when that reduced back to 15k I took the allowance, bought a 2nd hand car and use the allowance for other things.

StevieB

posted on 10/12/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
Our scheme at work is through Lex autolease so you can either have a cash allowance or the car, but the car allowance is about 35% more than the cash. Everything is included in that price except fuel (I,e, tax, insurance, servicing, tyres etc).

A 320d Efficient dynamics would work out at about £195 a month including contribution + tax
An A3 S-line 2.0TDI would be about £175 a month
A C-class C220 Bluetec Saloon would be about £225 a month

For those with a 3 series, have you gone for the M-sport suspension - reviews seem to recommend it, but not sure if that is just a car journalist thing!

We use lex too, with a similar deal in terms of cash v car.

My 320d ED has the standard suspension and is firm and low enough. If you have a non ED version the co2 is a lot worse on the tax front. My new 5 series works out only £20ish a month more expensive than the 3 since I went for the 8sp auto and that keeps co2 down at the same level, and clearly they're getting a good deal on the 5 series models as they're not too expensive by comparison

twybrow

posted on 10/12/14 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am in a very similar position to you. In my case I will be selling my 535D Tourer and getting a company car. I was looking at the usual suspects (A4, 3 series, C-class) but I don't like the tax at around £200 per month without fuel for an average spec model (320d etc).

They then added a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to our list. It is a plug in hybrid, and due to the emissions, it is £62 pcm without fuel, or £90 pcm fully fuelled. It is a good size car, with a good spec as standard. Yes the plastics are pretty awful, and I doubt it will set my world in fire, and it doesn't go like my BMW, but the costs make a very compelling case. I am demoing one next month! My inner pikey is very pleased!

ashg

posted on 10/12/14 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
i have got a BMWs 320d msport estate with msport suspension. its pretty stiff but not uncomfortable by any measure, (positively firm is how i would describe it) the steering is lovely, its pin point accurate to the point were you feel like the car is an extension of your body. i would say it probably the best handling estate you can buy and if needed it will shift if you give it a bit of pedal. on average it does 55mpg which is all motorway, dont know about mpg town as i don't do much town driving.

i have driven audi slines, mercs, jags, lexus and they all feel like spongey potatoes compared to the bmw. if you can get an extended test drive and then drive the others it wont be a difficult decision. £200 a month +personal mileage fuel for a brand new fully maintained, insured luxury car is a bloody bargain!

my car fully loaded with nearly every option was 37 grand retail new. after 4 years its worth about 14grand on a good day. thats 23grand loss. thats 5750 a year which is £479 a month and then you still have to pay for maintenance insurance and fuel!

if you don't want a luxury car then take the cash and run a shed.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/14 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I'm just about to return my 320d for a 520d - hard to go wrong with either car and both have co2 of 109, which is where the tax comes in. In fact, the 520 works out cheaper for me than if I went for a 320 estate (need the boot space!) and you can't fit a tow bar to a 3 series efficient dynamics model unless it's an auto.

Had an F10 520d - stonking car; worth trying to get the premium nav if you can...

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/14 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

I'd agree with that, it's the cheapest and least hassle way to drive a brand new decent spec car.

It's also very liberating in the sense that you don't really care about the car.

I had company cars for a few years when driving anywhere from 30-50k/yr. when that reduced back to 15k I took the allowance, bought a 2nd hand car and use the allowance for other things.

Ditto!

StevieB

posted on 11/12/14 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Ditto!

I did that for a few years, but now my company has started enforcing the rule that if you take the cash, you still have to have a car of a certain type and age (up to 5 years old iirc). Given that, it now makes sense for me to get a car and not worry about the running costs. I originally got the 3 series since my Saab turbo blew its engine and I lost a fortune in terms of its value - decided company car offered a much more risk and hassle free choice!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.