Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Range Rover Sport opinions
marco

posted on 26/2/15 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Range Rover Sport opinions

The days of hankering for a fast road car have got fewer and fewer and I'm thinking more about some comfort and style for a daily drive.

Any opinions on the RRS diesels either the 2.7 or V8TD good and bad would help me narrow down my options. Other contenders for me are Audi Q7 or the Disco 3 TDv6.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/2/15 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Disco out of those 3, just a lovely place to be and more practical than the RRS.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
perksy

posted on 26/2/15 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
One of my best mates has a Range Rover sport and loves it, However it does have the Land rover extended warranty and he's had £500 worth of work so far (In his first year with it).

I've had a trip out in the Discovery TDV6 (13 plate) and was hugely impressed by both the ride and the performance.
It wasn't as 'imposing' as the Range Rover either imho

Chap at work has the Q7 and loves that aswell and it does look very nice on big alloys

Hmmmm its a nice position to be in to choose between that lot

BigFaceDave

posted on 26/2/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
My boss has a disco tdv6 and When he got it I jokingly said we should have a sweepstake to see what falls off first! Almost 5 years and I think it's done about 60k and no problems and nothing Fallen off! (Much to my disappointment) although have heard of horror stories of Q7's chewing there way through tyres at a very scary rate!
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 26/2/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's got to be the new shape Range Rover - would absolutely love one.
It's a bloody big car though, and you would really have to think about where to park it - that's what puts me off.
You can pick them up for £2k deposit and £900 per month on a PCP.

Am tempted to look at the new shape discovery sport when it's out next month - it's a big smaller and easier to park.

tegwin

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of a curveball but have you considered the V6 TDi Toureg? Ive been pretty impressed with them!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

marco

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
The Toureg just doesn't cut it on the looks front for me, It's a shame because I think the VW/Audi reliability will be better than the Land Rover. I've read that the air suspension can be a common failure on the RRS not sure what else though.

I knew the Disco 3 would get a good vote, they are a vast improvement on the previous model.

[Edited on 26/2/15 by marco]

mk85

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
We went for a land rover free lander test drive a few and had a 15k budget. On the off chance we test drove a vouge and ended up with that. Plus we got a lot more car for the ££££
mk85

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
We went for a land rover free lander test drive a few and had a 15k budget. On the off chance we test drove a vouge and ended up with that. Plus we got a lot more car for the ££££
coyoteboy

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
900quid a month. Who the hell pays that? Jesus, wish I had that much cash to bin.

jeffw

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've just bought an 11plate FFRR 4.4 TDv8 VSE ....and very nice it is too....28MPG and pretty damn quick when you want it to be...

tul214

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has had the 2.7 Disco 3 for 4 yrs now. Touch wood it has not blown up, or bits haven't fallen off BUT you do need to look at them and the RRS (which is essentially the same car but with less space) knowing that they will need some maintenance.

The 2007/8 yr model has had many problems with engine seizures - all well documented so avoid unless you know that the timing belt AND the oil pump has been replaced at 7yrs or 100k.

The compressors die with age but can be replaced simply

The front wishbone bushes wear quickly due to the weight of the vehicle and you will hear them knocking if worn

The auto box starts to slip with miles but there is a fix

Glow plugs seem to be a big issue and snap when being removed - body off job to get them out so listen for a lumpy tickover when cold.

I could go on with the faults but they are well documented on the Disco3 forum and when the car is going well, IMHO, they are all things to all men.

The newer 3.0 Disco4 is a nicer thing again but seem to have the same issues including some 2010/11 models smoking badly on acceleration.

We bought ours to pull a horse trailer but after 1yr we got rid of the trailer and bought a 7.5t lorry. The fact that we still have the disco @ 28mpg tells me that we still like it

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

marco

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice that Jeff, my colour choice too, your not in the North are you by any chance and is your surname Cooper?

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I've just bought an 11plate FFRR 4.4 TDv8 VSE ....and very nice it is too....28MPG and pretty damn quick when you want it to be...

jeffw

posted on 27/2/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
lol.....no and no. South and Wiltshire

marco

posted on 27/2/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, ok it was a long shot

quote:

Matt21

posted on 27/2/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
5.0litre v10 tdi touareg!!!!!!
jeffw

posted on 27/2/15 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with that......

perksy

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco

quote:

Would that be Jeff Cooper you are thinking about ?

Used car dealer and used to have a Westy but last I heard had a rapid Caterham

marco

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's the guy, I thought he lurked in this forum hence the long shot mentioned..

quote:
Originally posted by perksy
quote:
Originally posted by marco

quote:

Would that be Jeff Cooper you are thinking about ?

Used car dealer and used to have a Westy but last I heard had a rapid Caterham

perksy

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nice chap Jeff and very helpful.

Have spoken with him on the phone and met him at Bruntingthorpe on a track day.

daniel mason

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell Jeff! That's some car. Something I couldn't ever dream of affording! Wish I'd tried a bit harder at school now
jeffw

posted on 27/2/15 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Age has some perks Dan, not many mind....

mark chandler

posted on 27/2/15 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Getting old is bloody horrible as my late Aunty Phylis told me 30 years ago....

Nice car Jeff, that would be my choice, I did not realise the economy was that good these days, the ones I ran guzzled fuel.

jeffw

posted on 28/2/15 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
The 4.4 TDV8 has the 8 speed ZF box on it and does over 30MPG according to the EU figures. I'm averaging 28.6 over the 1500miles I've done so far. It is a big improvement on the previous 3.6 with the 6speed box.

morcus

posted on 28/2/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see a Q7 without being remind of the time I watched a woman try and reverse park one for about half an hour (I was at work, this just happened to be in my eye line) the thing was huge and yet she was determined to park it between to cars, backwards, even though the car park was half empty and there were lots of spaces she could have driven through to be pointing the right way. I really miss working Saturday afternoons at the drive through sometimes, I saw some crazy stuff.

I think in your position I'd be tempted to take a look at an X5 or maybe an Escalade but I don't think they come in RHD.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.