Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Missed a few months tax, what to do?
JoelP

posted on 19/3/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Missed a few months tax, what to do?

My tintop was in the garage for a few months having the engine fixed, now it's back I realise it's missed 2 months tax without being sorn. What's the penalty and what's the best way to sort it? Sadly dvla don't seem to have any mechanism for back dating the tax...

Cheers.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

austin man

posted on 19/3/15 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just tax it from now worst that can happen is a 2 months back tax Dont think they thought about this when they got rid of the tax disc that clearly stated wneh it ran out

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

owelly

posted on 19/3/15 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I did a similar thing so just phoned them. They let me pay the arrears but this was before the 'new' no-disc system was in force so I don't know if that makes any difference.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 19/3/15 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Either sorn it or tax asap, it will come up with a warning saying about the gap in tax.

Then just hope the department that gets notification of the gap are too busy/can't be arsed to fine you!

K13JOB

posted on 19/3/15 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you have any option other than just putting the new tax on it and waiting to see if they fine you, best to go asap as the longer it is not taxed, the more likely the fine will be high.

I missed it one month (I did not receive the Sorn reminder but is my fault apparently) but the fine was not extorionate, the max fine is £1000?

Tax, or Sorn it immediately!

mark chandler

posted on 19/3/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I missed putting my bike on SORN by a couple of weeks, got a £70 fine which was not much less than taxing it for a year, sometimes you just fall unlucky
ChrisW

posted on 20/3/15 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've no training in law... but...

I'd say that if the DVLA are unable to accept payment for back tax or SORN just either tax the car or SORN it from today and leave it at that.

If you have made an honest mistake, and upon it's discovery have made reasonable efforts to correct the situation, in my opinion you should not be liable for a fine. Of course if you have used the car on a public road during that period then you should of course pay the back tax, but unless it can be proven that you purposely tried to avoid this (as opposed to being unable to due to no mechanism being it place for you to do so) I would suggest that any fine should be overturned by a Court.

As with everything in civil law, this is all about acting in a reasonable manner. Despite best intentions, people do genuinely forget things.

[Edited on 20/3/2015 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/3/15 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Just yesterday I got a "Last Chance" reminder to tax our daily driver. Tax ran out 1st March, but I am certain we never got a reminder at the time.
If DVLA is now sending these letters (maybe in response to issues over the end of tax discs etc) at least they are hopefully trying to help now.

I paid online yesterday, and assume I won't be getting a fine. We shall see.

CosKev3

posted on 20/3/15 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I took a detour to go for a drive after getting a non taxed car MOT'ed a few years ago, car got impounded and cost me nearly £700 in fines and back tax which they took back to when I bought the car, even though I had picture evidence the car had been un-road worthy until the week it was MOT'ed the court stated 'ignorance is no defence'

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Just yesterday I got a "Last Chance" reminder to tax our daily driver. Tax ran out 1st March, but I am certain we never got a reminder at the time.
If DVLA is now sending these letters (maybe in response to issues over the end of tax discs etc) at least they are hopefully trying to help now.

I paid online yesterday, and assume I won't be getting a fine. We shall see.

You will be fine, as you have now paid for your tax from the start of March, if you had left it into April I think you would get fined as you would then have had a tax free months driving on road.

swanny

posted on 20/3/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
i got done by a ANPR camera getting of the ferry one year from le mans. (no tax for 4+ months via a genuine but stupid mistake)

got a letter warning of doom, crusher, fines etc.

went to post office and asked to buy tax, expecting a fine, or at least all the arrears to be due immediately only for the lovely lady to say 'sorry dear, you will need to buy this from the beginning of this month, is that ok?' YES"! Thank you very much. Fully expected and deserved a fine or at least the back tax, but they didnt seem bothered, or to realise.

Irony

posted on 20/3/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just get some tax from today! I have done this before and as above they will probably just tax it at the post office from the start of the month. I would do it at the post office rather than online though.
JoelP

posted on 20/3/15 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers everyone. I taxed it this morning, will have to see what arrives in the post!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

CosKev3

posted on 20/3/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it will make any difference doing at PO or online, as both ways are part of the same system.

You will do very well not to get fined.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.