ebay linky

Paul W

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
saw that earlier & asked whats it called on v5

his reply

"its just Locost sports still 1300cc colour red. hope this helps"

JoelP

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Technically legal if the chassis were identical? Difficult to prove though, as the original was probably homemade too.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

big_wasa

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I made that chassis
joneh

posted on 21/3/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Technically legal if the chassis were identical? Difficult to prove though, as the original was probably homemade too.

Maybe, but engine or gearbox isn't included, suspension is new, front uprights and majority of brakes are new or need replacing.

Slimy38

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I didn't think it was legal to replace the chassis, even with an identical one? As you say it's difficult to prove, but putting one chassis number on another chassis is 'ringing', regardless of what kind of chassis.

jps

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

I didn't think it was legal to replace the chassis, even with an identical one? As you say it's difficult to prove, but putting one chassis number on another chassis is 'ringing', regardless of what kind of chassis.

I'm fairly sure you can reshell a tin-top without having to IVA it, and in monocoque designs the shell IS the chassis...

In principle this is the same thing...

theduck

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
You can replace chassis with a like for like. not sure how it stands with a locost as there isnt a standard chassis manufacturer
joneh

posted on 21/3/15 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
You can replace a subframe (also called a chassis) on cars such as a Morgan , TVR or Triumph etc but I thought a full Chassis that actually makes up the bulk of the body would need the DVLA notifying?
JoelP

posted on 21/3/15 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rovers and rally cars are examples of vehicles that get completely rebuilt with new components. I don't believe it's illegal.

whitestu

posted on 21/3/15 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of 2CVs have had a replacement chassis fitted. Is that illegal?
joneh

posted on 21/3/15 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Gov link

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number
A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

suspension (front and back)
steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

As this eBay car has no engine, gearbox, new chassis and suspension and different front axel, I'd say not legal...

Nickp

posted on 22/3/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Gov link

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

As this eBay car has no engine, gearbox, new chassis and suspension and different front axel, I'd say not legal...

So you'd be queueing up for an IVA after burning your Locost V5? I know I wouldn't

joneh

posted on 22/3/15 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Gov link

For cars or light vans:

steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

So you'd be queueing up for an IVA after burning your Locost V5? I know I wouldn't

I wouldn't be selling it as legal to any Tom dick or Harry to put back on the road without an inspection.

JoelP

posted on 22/3/15 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree that he's on thin ice, changing so much so fast. Had he finished the rebuild he could've swapped the other components at will. Also selling it halfway through is just asking for trouble.

Nickp

posted on 22/3/15 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Gov link

For cars or light vans:

steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

I wouldn't be selling it as legal to any Tom dick or Harry to put back on the road without an inspection.

But surely it's up to the new owner what they do with it? They'd be doing the 'illegal' bit, not him. Sounds to me like he's been pretty honest about what he's selling.

[Edited on 22/3/15 by Nickp]

rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp[/

But surely it's up to the new owner what they do with it? They'd be doing the 'illegal' bit, not him. Sounds to me like he's been honest about what he's selling.

But he will be aiding and abbetting

spaximus

posted on 22/3/15 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to me as a group we find some pleasure in finding things wrong with adverts on here.

Now if it is a Dutton which is a GT40 then fair enough but remember this. If your cars passed IVA or SVA and you then take bits off the test specifically requires then selling that is technically illegal as you are now selling a none compliant car.

Do we castigate people who do this? No of course not.

The advert is clear what has been done. The system allows a chassis to be replaced and there is nothing to stop him altering the engine as well so long as he tells the DVLA.

He is not representing the car as something it is not, so I would suggest the DVLA would not bat an eye lid over this. The awarding of points to register a vehicle is so that no one registers a car as new when it is made up of parts. If it has too many it is allocated a Q plate after IVA.

This vehicle has passed and will be subject to an MOT which is sufficient in my mind to ensure the safety of the vehicle.

owelly

posted on 23/3/15 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen the sellers other items?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 23/3/15 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
You can legally reshell cars, Many restored MGB's are based on new shells
I don't see a problem most of our cars evolve over time

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

prawnabie

posted on 23/3/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Post like this boil my blood sometimes as we as a community are all too quick to jump on the "ringer" bandwagon, but when it comes to "get creative on word" when someone posts about getting a new plate no-one bats an eyelid - infact it is usually condoned.

Surely stopping the problem in the outset will go someway to lessening the problem down the line?

There is at least one example on the forum I can think of where a registered member has built a car using a mixture of new and second hand parts, obtained a new reg and later on sold the car on this forum to someone without dilvulging the fact that it is incorrectly registered (prob because in the builders eyes it isn't incorrectly registered, he just "got away with it".

r1_pete

posted on 23/3/15 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind all this re shelling, re chassising aiding and abetting, boiling blood and what not, are MT75s really worth £250 now, if they are I wish I'd kept the two I gave away....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickp

posted on 23/3/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Never mind all this re shelling, re chassising aiding and abetting, boiling blood and what not, are MT75s really worth £250 now, if they are I wish I'd kept the two I gave away....

SCAR

posted on 23/3/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
For this vehicle to be road legal you would have to complete a V627/1 pertaining to radically altered vehicles. This determines if you can keep the original registration or not and would also apply to a vehicle re shell. The fact that people often don't follow this procedure due to it not being policed doesn't mean its legal (or wise) to ignore it. The reason it becomes important on forums like this to be discussed is to inform and help prevent the unknowledgeable making a big mistake.
joneh

posted on 23/3/15 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Post like this boil my blood sometimes as we as a community are all too quick to jump on the "ringer" bandwagon, but when it comes to "get creative on word" when someone posts about getting a new plate no-one bats an eyelid - infact it is usually condoned.

Surely stopping the problem in the outset will go someway to lessening the problem down the line?

There is at least one example on the forum I can think of where a registered member has built a car using a mixture of new and second hand parts, obtained a new reg and later on sold the car on this forum to someone without dilvulging the fact that it is incorrectly registered (prob because in the builders eyes it isn't incorrectly registered, he just "got away with it".

Calm down dear!

My original intention was to point out that to sell this as a legally registered car is nuts! As far as I can see the only component left from the original build that counts towards a registration is the steering rack. If some clown buys this, builds it in their garage and then drives it on the road without an IVA then that's bonkers and makes a mockery of the whole process. Let's say it fails on a suspension bolt or dodgy weld then ploughs through a bus stop full of kids. Who's liable?

And if anyone thinks an MOT is enough to check this is safe than they're just as nuts. All in my opinion of course.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.