Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ssangyong spazzwagons?
Staple balls

posted on 16/4/15 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Ssangyong spazzwagons?

Right then, Wifey has done her back in pretty seriously (from already being rather knackered) so we're looking at sorting a new mobility car, She has a 25 stone electric wheelchair (28"x 38"x 55"), which doesn't fit in a cmax, unless you take the whole chair apart, even when broken all the way down it's nigh unliftable.

So. useless.

Anyway, we've been looking at van-ish cars, and car-ish vans. She doesn't want, or need a WAV, as they're heavy, slow and generally impossible for towing (she likes to go camping) Most important thing is a flat boot, so ramps can be used without too much hassle.

So far we've looked at:
Ford Tourneo Connect (ultimately a bit useless, just a slow cmax with a slightly bigger boot)
Pug Partner (Nice, but boot is still a little tight)
Nissan NV200 (Vanny)
Aaaand
Ssangyong Turismo (Effing Huge, but heavy like a bus and slightly cheap feeling trim, but contains seat rails for easy ramp mounting)

She's half fallen in love with the ssangyong, on the basis that it's the size of a small village, but it sounds like it's pretty fuel thirsty and slightly underpowered.

Anyone got any other ideas, or am I condemned to driving a barge?

[Edited on 16/4/15 by Staple balls]

tegwin

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not sat in a ssssssaanyuck for ages but the quality of the interior and finish and some really weird design features put me right off... I'm sure they are improving slowly..

My money would go on a second hand vw t5 caravelle. Remove the rear seats leaving you a 5 seater and a massive boot!

[Edited on 16/4/15 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
VW transporter??
Staple balls

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately used isn't an option, motability are pretty stingy (it's either all of her DLA for hire purchase (which has to be <3 years old, <30k miles and basically impossible to get anyway), have to service and insure ourselves, or all her DLA for a 3 year lease with absolutely no responsibilities apart from driving it)

Closest WV thing is a Touran, which is a little bit dull.

Benzine

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Ssangyong means double dragons therefore instantly wins the thread.

I had a Daewoo Musso (rebadged Ssangyong and it was a beast! Suspension was primitive and the ride was rattly but it was so much fun and never let me down. Get a Musso with the merc OM662 5 pot lump + dieselmeken pump + massive turbo

edit: no used cars, n/m

[Edited on 16-4-2015 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think we are talking practical here, rather than exciting?
How about ford galaxy?

Staple balls

posted on 16/4/15 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the galaxy is an option, but a bit of a no go atm, because they're releasing a new one in autumn, so apparently they're a pain to get hold of.
SPYDER

posted on 16/4/15 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
S-Max?
David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
My sister-in-law has the same requirement - she's severely disabled and has a very heavy wheelchair. She's also highly independent and wants to be able to get around by herself.

She had 4 requirements:
1. The tailgate had to be electrically operated.
2. It had to take her large electric wheelchair.
3. It had to be able to take a hoist for lifting the chair into the car.
4. It had to have an automatic gearbox.

They looked at quite a few cars, but the only one they found that would meet all requirements was the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso. However, they may well have bought it by putting money on top of whatever Motability were offering.

Have you seen that wheelchair they're now offering, that can drive itself up ramps into the boot of your car? The name "Quingo" rings a bell. They claim that it'll go into most cars, but I guess that you'll have to give up the back 2 seats.

rf900rush

posted on 16/4/15 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
The Wife and I looked at a Ssangyong Rexon a few years ago.
The dealer let us take it for the day so we could test drive towing our caravan, rather than the drive it round the block for 5mins.
Very impressed with the car (4x4) for the money. My only concern was what would it be like 5 years later.
Would not worry on long term, On motobility

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 16/4/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
My sister-in-law has the same requirement - she's severely disabled and has a very heavy wheelchair. She's also highly independent and wants to be able to get around by herself.

She had 4 requirements:
1. The tailgate had to be electrically operated.
2. It had to take her large electric wheelchair.
3. It had to be able to take a hoist for lifting the chair into the car.
4. It had to have an automatic gearbox.

They looked at quite a few cars, but the only one they found that would meet all requirements was the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso. However, they may well have bought it by putting money on top of whatever Motability were offering.

Have you seen that wheelchair they're now offering, that can drive itself up ramps into the boot of your car? The name "Quingo" rings a bell. They claim that it'll go into most cars, but I guess that you'll have to give up the back 2 seats.

All of that sounds promising, we'll have to have a looksee in town later.

splitrivet

posted on 16/4/15 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dealership up the road has just taken up ssangyong, those turismo's are pigging huge I looked at one to replace my Galaxy but the engine appears to be well retro quoted 28 mpg urban you'll be lucky to see 20. Dont know what the tax band is, if it was using latest tech I'd seriously consider one plus the depreciation I would think as soon as you drove it off the lot it'll be into freefall, but as it stands no thanks.
What about the Kia Sorrento or the Hyundia equivalant the Dacia lodgy would be a contender but thats way overdue appearing on the UK market.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.