Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to drive...by a Fighter Pilot
jeffw

posted on 31/7/15 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
How to drive...by a Fighter Pilot

Very interesting article

http://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads/

JC

posted on 31/7/15 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
JS was a Jag mate (aircraft, not car!) - most definitely NOT a fighter lol!!!!!

[Edited on 31/7/15 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 31/7/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your contribution, obviously the man himself refers to fighter aircraft.

JC

posted on 31/7/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
No offence to you intended Jeff! I think even the most ardent Jaguar pilot would never claim it was a fighter, but to the press anyone who flies a jet is described as such! He is actually an excellent chap and as former director of the RAF Tactics and Training wing, can speak with authority about 'lookout' and the other subjects touched upon in the article!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 31/7/15 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had to go out in my car this evening, on a short errand, so I thought I'd try out his 'look at 3 things each time you look each way at a junction' - just for the hell of it.

It certainly makes you look hard! But it was a bit of a distraction, thinking about that instead of 100% 'normal driving'. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

[Edited on 31/7/15 by David Jenkins]

Ivan

posted on 1/8/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that url - excellent article - should be a routine part of drivers education.
cal

posted on 7/8/15 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
What hes basically saying is the exact same method used to develop lookout in early pilots, you have to stop and focus in order to see things in the air otherwise your eys focus on a point about 12ft outside of the aircraft.
A good article no the less and I enjoyed the second comment being that he was a Jag mate and not a fighter pilot.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.