Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New tin top brakes failed..
tegwin

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
New tin top brakes failed..

My daily hack failed it's mot 3 weeks ago because the rear brakes needed replacing. (Badly pitted disks)

I duly replaced both rear disks and pads with new items. Passed mot and car worked perfectly.

Parked car on the drive 5 days ago, went to pull away this afternoon and the rear brakes were stuck, like you'd expect after it's been raining.... Only worse... Eventually there was a pop and the wheels freed... However there is now a chunk of brake pad welded solid to the disk where it has torn away from the pad.... I have never seen this before.... I've had this car for nearly 10 years and regularly park it for 5-10 days without the brakes disintegrating...

My thought is that either the disk or the pads are simply not up to scratch.

I bought the parts from GSF.... Not sure I can find the receipt but will look for it.... Would I have any comeback with them? It looks like the disks and pads are going to want replacing again

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

AndyW

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Basic consumer law.
Items must be of a reasonable quality
Item must last a reasonable length of time

If you paid by card they can trace the sale.

I would be taking them back for a refund and getting a new set

Good luck

mark chandler

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the pad was dragging, sticky caliper and has bonded itself to an overheated disc once parked
tegwin

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
True, sometimes shops forget consumer law exists..... Should they cover labour cost?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

tegwin

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Sounds like the pad was dragging, sticky caliper and has bonded itself to an overheated disc once parked

It's unlikely because I moved the car off my drive 5 days ago and parked it 10 meters away. No chance for it to have got even remotely warm.

theconrodkid

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
pads stick to discs all the time in rain but the material should not have pulled off the backing,i would take them back and demand a replacment with a different brand.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

AndyW

posted on 19/11/15 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
True, sometimes shops forget consumer law exists..... Should they cover labour cost?

There will be something in their terms and conditions which will exclude labour and any subsiquential loss.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/11/15 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, pad should not have stuck to disc. However, devils advocate here, consider the mechanics of what has happened.

New pads on new disc(s), Vehicle moved but not "driven" (by the sounds of it), so new pads are inherently "soft", i.e. not bedded in. by this I mean that although they are hard when new, they have not been work hardened. so they are more susceptible to the absorption of water/moisture. So being left with new pads that long in these damp times could lead to the pad sticking. Bear in mind also, that rear brakes only do 18% - 20% the work that front brakes do so it takes longer for the rear brakes to fully bed in.

But as was said it should NOT have pulled of off the backing. My blame would be with the pad, not the disc. Whilst friction material production is good these day (and most material used by all manufacturers comes from the same source) some production faults still occur and get through to retail.

JMHO

JGG.

Edit bit.
Oh and I always trust my brakes up to the last application of them. Life gets exciting when you put your foot on them expecting them to work, ........ and they DON'T.

[Edited on 19/11/15 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

tegwin

posted on 20/11/15 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
A valid point, they have done about 800 miles of cross country diving since being fitted so they should have bedded in nicely. My only thought was that of the disk material for some reason is poor it could chemically react with the pad material creating a cold weld. Hmm, time to go out in the rain and take the brakes apart

JAG

posted on 20/11/15 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid this is a pad problem - poor quality or simply cheap pad material.

All friction material absorbs water from the atmosphere and most friction material contains Steel or Iron particles which may well rust to the surface of the disc.

HOWEVER good pad materials don't contain so much that they stick to the disc surface - take it up with the Supplier (GSF).

Edited to add - bedding has nothing to do with this issue.

[Edited on 20/11/15 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

DW100

posted on 20/11/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Were they a good brand of pads?

Or some GSF cheap Cr#p chinese copy?

Be careful of what you buy there are loads of really poor quality parts floating around at the moment.

[Edited on 20/11/15 by DW100]

tegwin

posted on 20/11/15 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Disks were jurid, not sure what the pads were...

Chap in the parts shop had never seen this before... Exchanged for new disks and pads... This time branded jurid pads to match the disks

JAG

posted on 20/11/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the right result

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

britishtrident

posted on 20/11/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have even seen this on factory fresh Fiestas with only delivery mileage on them so pad and disc material isn't amajor factor. Parking up a a car with cold brakes in really wet weather is best avoided.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/15 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
If you are leaving the car for 10 day or so and the last disks were pitted I'd recommend you put wheel covers over them to stop rain water getting on the disk (heavy duty black bags are quite effective weighted down with a stone), you'll find the brakes and tyres will last a lot longer and won't stick anything like as bad. I do this with my other cars and the caravan and it makes a big difference. It’s also a good idea to use wheel chocks instead of the handbrake if you location permits (also in gear of course)

Tbh I’m not surprised the pad did break up as I have seen brakes totally solid from sitting too long and the forces involved in separating them are huge and pad material is quite fragile to shock loads

[Edited on 20/11/15 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 20/11/15 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, never really been an issue before.

Couple of hours spannering has sorted the issue

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/15 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've found that pitted disks are usually caused by rust on the surface being scrubbed off, it's amazing how fast they rust if not used
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.