Author: Subject: winter snow tyres
jacko

posted on 27/11/15 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
winter snow tyres

What make of tyres are you using and where is the cheapest place to buy from
do you like them and would you buy them again
thanks
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 27/11/15 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you're in Hull then might be worth looking here... https://www.tyremen.co.uk/
They post on a skiing forum I frequent (where winter tyres are a common topic) and are pretty well regarded over there. Offer plenty of good advice and are often the cheapest according to those who've used them.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jacko

posted on 27/11/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If you're in Hull then might be worth looking here... https://www.tyremen.co.uk/
They post on a skiing forum I frequent (where winter tyres are a common topic) and are pretty well regarded over there. Offer plenty of good advice and are often the cheapest according to those who've used them.

Yes i am in Hull and work just down the road from Tyremen so i will go and see them
I would like to know what make of tyre people on here are using
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jtskips

posted on 27/11/15 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89347/continental-contiwintercontact-ts-850-tyre-review
i used continentals on a front wheel drive golf , fantastic , good in the snow , wet, and dry conditions ,

coozer

posted on 27/11/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just put some Star Performers on mine, got them from mytyres.com.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

BigGeoff

posted on 27/11/15 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
We have Avon Ice Touring on one car and Cooper Weathermasters on the other. Driven all over Europe in all conditions not had to use chains since we discovered the joys of winter tyres.

The Avons are a little harder wearing and a bit better for mpg, hardly any noticeable difference in noise between the two but both a little louder than a summer tyre.

ianhurley20

posted on 27/11/15 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
We have used winters for years now. In Bavaria it is law that you have them fitted in winter and if there is snow around they must have at least 4mm tread. Bavaria is where I have sourced some from. That said in the UK I use mytyres.co.uk as a guide and then try to find somewhere to beat their best price. Even the cheapest worst winter tyres with the snowflake and M&S markings will beat anything designed for summer use. Makes - we have used a number but the ones I have favoured most have come from Nokian which are Finnish and are made somewhere in the artic circle. At the moment I have Nokians fitted, my wife has Vredsteins and my son has some cheapo Nankang SV2's and my neighbour some Goodride SW608s which they use all year round and have done nearly 30k so far.

In short I would see what the best deal would get me but I'll probably stay with the Nokian WR D4's unless they make a new model tyre

britishtrident

posted on 27/11/15 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Avon Ice Touring ----- surprisingly cheap

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

craig1410

posted on 28/11/15 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
Goodyear ultragrip 8 performance on my BMW 535D. Brilliant tyres, highly recommended. On my 3rd winter with them and still over 4mm tread left.
v8kid

posted on 28/11/15 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Nokian at least that's how I think its spelt!

Used them on tintops for 5 years now performance is excellent in snow and water. Grip the same in normal and spirited driving but mpg drops from 40 to 39 and they are noticeably noisier on a XF.

I use different diameter wheels and alter the aspect ratio to keep the rolling radius the same to optimise the longitudinal/lateral grip ratio from winter/summer.
Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

hizzi

posted on 28/11/15 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
we run goodyear winter tyres on the whole fleet (british gas) all year round and get better mileage then we did with standard tyres

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.