Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: eBay Corvette - is it a scam??
r1_pete

posted on 3/2/16 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
eBay Corvette - is it a scam??

I'm looking for a chrome bumper C3 Corvette

This one has my attention:
1973 Chevrolet Corvette 350 - C3 - Chrome Bumpers - Project Car - T Top - 5.7 L

I've asked a few questions about delivery cost, NOVA, why its in Lithuania etc, and his answers seem honest, not presently on Nova, but will come with duty paid invoice, let down by a buyer...

He's after a £500 deposit, which I'd pay by paypal, and the remainder when its in my possession for some comeback if it goes t*ts up.

I'm tempted, but want to be as sure as I can it isn't a scam, any suggestions on more questions to ask? I'm really in two minds, progress it or runaway and delete all thoughts and links to it.

I was thinking of asking for any other customers he has imported for, but could still 'lie' and get a mate to pose....

So any probing questions would be appreciated...

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be concerned with the cars history - my instant assumption is stolen from states, imported to a country where no one cares then brought here.
Even if the transaction went smoothly and you got the car, I would always be expecting a visit from HMRC with the car disappearing with them into sunset.

Mistral Motorsport

40inches

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this one Pete? 1973 Corvette Stingray Auto, matching numbers L82 350ci (5.7).
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the saying? If there is any doubt then there is no doubt.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

He's after a £500 deposit, which I'd pay by paypal, and the remainder when its in my possession for some comeback if it goes t*ts up.

Paypal doesn't cover payments for vehicles, even if it's sent as payment for goods/services. Has seller asked you to "gift" him the money to avoid fees? That's another classic scam, as it can't be reversed as well. Sorry to sound negative, jut read too much on the forums about eBay and car scams of recent....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 3/2/16 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd walk away, if there's any concern leave it alone.

Something seems odd and the worry of having it taken away at a later date would weigh heavy on my mind.

anthony1

posted on 3/2/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Barge pole.........

It would be all too easy to send the guy £500 deposit..........by paypal........but after you have waited for weeks for it to be delivered , or it is not what you want , when and if you saw it.......how would you get your £500 back , as others have said , I would leave well alone!!
02GF74

posted on 3/2/16 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Send me £ 100 by paypal gift and I'll tell you it it's a scam

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/2/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would normally walk away from anything with 'Awsum Breaks', but as he only has to check the breaks it all looks good... :-)

Why on Earth you'd want to risk this, or even thinking about doing so, is beyond me. Walk away.

r1_pete

posted on 3/2/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Walking away guys thanks.

Ill keep an eye on the white one, but thats a body off job before MOT to weld the rot, too close to the fibreglass for my liking.

Unwatched, messages deleted, moved on....

Cheers All

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would run not walk away from this Corvette, The key slot above the licence area is to set the alarm as these were the most stolen version of the Corvette. My brother had one and his wife was always setting the alarm off as she reached over the door through the open t-top to get something from the interior.

Not a good version of the C3, low horsepower pollution engine, Purdue College sticker in the rear window indicates US ownership possibly by college student.

The 70 C 3 is a much better choice, high compression engine.

Benzine

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.