Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Second hand car but only one key.
smart51

posted on 7/2/16 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Second hand car but only one key.

I've agreed to buy a 15 year old MR2 today based on a viewing last week. The seller has just texted to say he can't find the second key. Is this likely to be a problem? I know spare keys with immobiliser chips are expensive to buy and programme in. Is a single key going to be a problem when I come to sell the car on? If I lose or break the one remaining key, will I be unable to get a replacement?
CosKev3

posted on 7/2/16 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Be better all around with it tbh.

A risk is what happened to a m8 of mine with a Audi S3,seller couldn't find spare key when he went to collect the car.
Drove it home and that night heard it start up and drive away
He's pretty sure the seller either 'sold' on the spare key,or just came and took it there selves etc.

Stevie_P

posted on 7/2/16 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely enough, I have a 15 year old MR2 with only one key.
I bought it that way.
New full immobiliser key with remote is about £150 - £200.
Don't lose the one you've got as it can mean you need new ECU etc.
If you like the car then just make an offer accordingly.
BTW. They are great little cars. Corners like a roller skate.
Just get it on track!

Steve

theprisioner

posted on 7/2/16 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
My 1997 Ford Puma came with only one key, it is now part of my Sylva and I had it's key replicated by Timpson the repair place on the high street. At that time it cost me £55. The rust to Rome car I have just bought has only one key same deal I hope.

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

smart51

posted on 7/2/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie_PNew full immobiliser key with remote is about £150 - £200.
Don't lose the one you've got as it can mean you need new ECU etc.
If you like the car then just make an offer accordingly.

His text said he won't go lower than the offer I made. I made him an offer expecting him to haggle, but he didn't, so I got it for less than I expected. It has a MIL warning lamp on which he says is an O2 sensor problem - a common fault and easy fix. I've got a fault code reader which I'll take with me. If what he said is right, I'll take the car. But if there are other fault codes, I think I might walk away. One thing not as described is probably tolerable. Two isn't.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/2/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Your choice but if when you looked at it he said it has 2 keys you agreed a price then it turns out it only has one you should ask for some more money off to cover getting other key , it's one of the main buying questions when I buy a car I want a least 2 keys otherwise I walk away or a reduction in the price as said it can get very expensive to get keys these days .
Stevie_P

posted on 7/2/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
MIL light is quite likely one of the O2 sensors (there are three) but obviously check this out.
britishtrident

posted on 7/2/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
O2 sensor code dosen't always mean the O2 sensor is faulty it means the computer isn't seeing the pattern of signal it is programmed to expect from the sensor which can mean all manner of things. If it is a downstream sensor it is usually an indication that the cat isn't working for any number of reasons . Likewise 02 sensor Heater codes don't mean the O2 sensor is up the spout it at least 50 percent of the time it is a wiring fault.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/2/16 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with last post O2 sensor issues are very often not a sensor fault itself , wiring faults air leaks failing cat exhaust leaks and the list goes on .
smart51

posted on 7/2/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well I bought the car and it is very nice. The scanner picked up O2 sensor bank 1 heater circuit, which seems to be the usual failure. A new sensor and a sensor socket don't cost much.

Neither does a new blank key and cutting. The web has instructions on how to programme new keys to the car. Swap the newly cut blade to the fob of a 2nd hand ebay key and I'll be up and running again. Both repairs could come in for £100.

Stevie_P

posted on 7/2/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the heater circuit failure is common.
If getting a second hand immobiliser key make sure it is the correct model as there is more than one and they are not interchangeable.
Enjoy the car.
Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.