Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: suspension upgrades for sensible car
luke2152

posted on 9/2/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
suspension upgrades for sensible car

Want to make the sensible car (audi a6) a bit more fun and less vague and squishy to drive. On a budget of course as its an old one.
I guess the options include:
*Bigger anti roll bars - either factory RS6 ones, aftermarket or sleeve the stock ones myself.
*Stiffer springs or lowering ones - wouldn't want too lower much though for practical reasons.
*Fancy dampers
*Poly bushes
Where do ya think the limited funds are best spent.

Slimy38

posted on 9/2/16 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
My SEAT Toledo (not quite A6 sized but still a decent sized saloon) benefited a great deal from Bilstein B4 dampers. They're considered 'standard' so aren't too aggressive, but they transformed the car.

The B6's are another step up, but you're bordering on needing lowering springs with those.

I did also replace the front wishbone bushes with polybushes, but that just turned up the harshness without really improving things.

If it's an old one you'll benefit the most from just new stuff, I wouldn't have thought you needed to go too 'fancy'.

Sam_68

posted on 9/2/16 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
If it's an old one you'll benefit the most from just new stuff, I wouldn't have thought you needed to go too 'fancy'.

Yeah, this would be my first though, too.

'Vague and squishy' doesn't sound like any Audi I've ever driven - they usually drive me nuts by having rock-hard suspension that thumps and jolts over every manhole cover and cats-eye, so maybe start by just replacing all the tired old bushes and dampers with standard Audi stuff?

loggyboy

posted on 10/2/16 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
As has been said above renewing existing parts. And not just things like shocks & springs. Just as important if not even more so, wishbones, bushes, ball joints. And no need for polys (they will make it to hard), just good quality standard or genuine parts.
Then once thats all fresh, if you want flexibility then coilovers will be best. You can choose spring rates close to standard to keep comfy, or just a little firmer. If you get adjustable shocks then you can make easy changes to the feel of the car without changing components.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree, on an older car it's likely the existing bushes are worn and sloppy. Renewing with OEM parts would be a good start. I believe it can be easier to buy complete suspension arms with bushes fitted and ball joints and change the whole thing. You may also need to consider tracking and alignment afterwards to ensure all 4 wheels point the right way.

02GF74

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
You may also need to consider tracking and alignment afterwards to ensure all 4 wheels point the right way.

It's a must. I replaced like for like and didn't do that - result was ruining two new front tyres.

luke2152

posted on 10/2/16 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting point regarding renewing wishbones - however I replaced all of them (10 I think depending on your definition of a wishbone) when one was knocking because I got a deal on the whole lot. Pattern parts not original though and have perhaps 10K miles on them so I suspect they are probably ok. And they certainly didn't make the handling awesome when I first put them on.
Dampers may well be tired though.

cliftyhanger

posted on 10/2/16 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
cars just get soggier with age. just like most of us.

If the bushes were just "white box" items rather than branded they could already have gone soft. They are nothing like OEM stuff.
Also look at subframe bushes, rack mountings and so on. Anything made of rubber.

If that lot are poor new shocks won't make the difference you hope for, as everything else will be moving about.

Worth having a decent think too (or google) as sometimes it can be just a few bushes make a huge difference. And complete sets can be £££££

Out of interest, how old and what mileage?

luke2152

posted on 10/2/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

Out of interest, how old and what mileage?

1999 with 150k
4.2 v8 mated to a manual box from a diesel a6

nick205

posted on 10/2/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
As suggested, worn bushes can really let a car down in terms of tightness. Some years ago I had a Seat Leon TDI 150 as a co. car from new. The difference between it new and a colleagues 180 petrol Leon at 80k miles was drastic. The higher mileage car was somewhat sofa like in it's road manners!

gregs

posted on 10/2/16 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Want to make the sensible car (audi a6) a bit more fun and less vague and squishy to drive. On a budget of course as its an old one.
I guess the options include:
*Bigger anti roll bars - either factory RS6 ones, aftermarket or sleeve the stock ones myself.
*Stiffer springs or lowering ones - wouldn't want too lower much though for practical reasons.
*Fancy dampers
*Poly bushes
Where do ya think the limited funds are best spent.

Assuming all your rubbers are in good order, I'd get a set of BOGE turbogas dampers - I got a set ordered in from GSF for no more than std dampers, from memory they're ~20% firmer than std and made a big difference on my A4.

Greg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.