Author: Subject: Orange or green evolution saw
Andi

posted on 17/4/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Orange or green evolution saw

As per title, Is there a difference between them other than the colours

Andi

watsonpj

posted on 17/4/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Rage (orange) is the better one, fury(green) is the lower end product. I have a rage 3s and am really pleased with it cuts wood and metal with ease. I haven't tried a fury although looking at the pics it does look like its much cheaper construction. Mine gets a lot of use so I would always pay the extra. I've had it about 4 years with no issues and the same blade although its probably overdue for a change.
AndyW

posted on 17/4/16 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've just ordered the orange Rage 3, good reviews from what I read so pleased. Delivery is this week and no bout swmbo will want lots of new jobs doing thinking the new saw can do it...lol
GeoffT

posted on 17/4/16 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the Rage 3, always have a sense of impending disaster when cutting steel with it but it seems to take it in it's stride. Beware though, the metal chips it throws around when doing so are bloody hot...!

I've only cut a few pieces of 1.5mm wall box so far but the blade seems to have remained sharp - not sure how long it would last if you were cutting large quantities or thicker stuff however.

[Edited on 17/4/16 by GeoffT]

neilp1

posted on 17/4/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
How much are the new blades?
coozer

posted on 17/4/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
In the screwfix catalogue..

Diameter,
185 = £24.99
210 = £34.99
255 = £39.99

There is cheaper Erbauer ones

£9.49
£10.99
£14.99

Page 831

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Minicooper

posted on 17/4/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
In the screwfix catalogue..

Diameter,
185 = £24.99
210 = £34.99
255 = £39.99

There is cheaper Erbauer ones

£9.49
£10.99
£14.99

Page 831

If your cutting metal you need the rage blade, the erauber blade are for wood.

I have a rage 3 blade in my machine, I must of cut several hundred tubes the biggest being 114.3 tube, although it's brutal it's like a knife through butter. When these rage machines came out they claimed they could do at least a thousand cuts

David

neilp1

posted on 17/4/16 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the max thickness as I have a Makita chop saw, but the sparks are a nightmare. They are okay onsite or in a fabshop, but not so good in the garage.
coozer

posted on 17/4/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Erbauer quote...

Cost effective, multipurpose saw blade.
Ideal for cutting steel, aluminum, wood and plastic.
Fits Evolution saws.

Got any experience of the cheapo blades??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Minicooper

posted on 17/4/16 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Erbauer quote...

Cost effective, multipurpose saw blade.
Ideal for cutting steel, aluminum, wood and plastic.
Fits Evolution saws.

Got any experience of the cheapo blades??

Sorry I stand corrected, are they available in 355mm? this would save me a lot of cash on renewal, I think I paid about £80 for my rage 3 blade, that saying the blade is still very sharp and cuts very well

David

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 17/4/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve got an orange evolution saw. I think it's complete crap. Really wish I had bought a proper metal cutting chop saw.

It's the loudest thing on earth and it fires out these red hot shards that end up everywhere so you end up trying to control it with outstretched arms to avoid them going all over you. I could put up with these things if it made good cuts but it's about as accurate as Stevie wonder with a shotgun. The blade isn't stiff enough and wanders about so you can't get a straight cut through the tube or an accurate length. I binned it off for cutting my chassis tubes. It's also to aggressive for aluminium strip and just bends it as it tears through and it can't cut metals over about 2.5mm thick.

Fine for occasional DIY use if you want rough cuts in various materials without changing blades, rubbish for making cars.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 18/4/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know the difference, but I've had an orange Rage for a few years from Screwfix. Came in a decent blow moulded carry case and chops wood, plastic and metal with ease. Still on the original blade so haven't had to replace and don't know the costs or benefits of one over another.

One point I would make is it's quite fast and cutting steel (for example) makes a lot of sparks and noise, but works well. I've cut angle, bot and flat with it and not found it wanting for accuracy or speed of cut.

ETA...I'm about to use it to build a new work bench from 4x2 timber with a cheap kitchen worktop from Wickes.

[Edited on 18/4/16 by nick205]

Irony

posted on 18/4/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Orange is better. Green is DIY and Orange is supposed to be professional. However if you ask a professional they will tell you to spend £500 upwards.

Don't confuse a Sliding Mitre Saw or a simpler Mitre Saw with a metal only Chop Saw. The Chop Saw will give more accurate cuts. The Rage3 is a great budget sliding mitre saw (I have one) but it needs setting up properly out of the box. If you man handle it, it will need setting up again. Its not a tool you can really throw in the back of van and bang it around and still expect accurate cuts (depends of your definition of accurate) without setting it up again.

The TCT Blade that comes with the saw is merely okay at cutting wood, ali and steel etc. If your cutting a lot of Ali, steel, ceramic, plastic and porcelain I cannot recommend enough buying the correct blade for the job. Personally I don't cut steel on the supplied TCT Rage blade. It wears them out quick.

I have used mine for cutting all sorts of things. I think its best used so far was cutting ceramic and porcelain tiles for tiling by kitchen and bathroom. I bought the Evolution Diamond blade and I must say is bloody brilliant.

jps

posted on 18/4/16 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Timely post!

I have got one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage3-fp2552-255mm-compound-mitre-saw-230v/26612?kpid=26612&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20 Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools-_-Shopping%20-%20Tools&gclid=CjwKEAjwi9K4BRCQzq7d1c6A_XASJABueAO2zP0GJu qlNQgPGbqHZwa0ZVc6ZdKtmaOCiCLwVxvQJxoCd1Tw_wcB

Used it to cut 1"x2" mdf strip to make some face frames for shelving - which it did fairly nicely - and to cut the flue pipe for my wood burner (which it did less well - a good few mm off over a 6" dia tube).

I then used it to chop lots of firewood (well - one winters worth, albeit messy stuff with nails and things in) - and then used it yesterday to cut some more mdf for frames.

And have discovered that:
a) the blade now flaps about a fair bit before it bites
b) it isn't cutting square anymore

I would guess I have abused it with the firewood cutting - it needs setting up again to cut square - and i'm no expert in how to best do that (plus - I don't need it 100% accurate for what I want to do - I tweaked it and got it close enough...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.