Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: moving a part built car
Schrodinger

posted on 19/4/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
moving a part built car

I will hopefully be buying a part built car within the next couple of weeks but will need to get it from Worcester to Aviemore. As I have never towed a trailer before doing a 450 mile trip first time is not going to happen. Can anybody recommend either somebody to transport the car, it is almost complete, or somewhere that hires transporters.

[Edited on 19/4/16 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

SeaBass

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
We used these guys to move a delicate vehicle before from Edinburgh - Birmingham - they were very good.

http://www.falkirkcarcarriers.co.uk/

Not cheap but good and helpful.

nick205

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I moved my part built MK Indy from my parents house to mine, but had the benefit of an experienced Dad and a trailer - otherwise it would have been £££ and hard work to do.

Do you know anyone who can tow and might help you? Could be the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

MikeR

posted on 19/4/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I've hired a box transit (ok Merc Sprinter) with tail lift. Drive the front of the car onto the tail, attach an engine crane to the rear of the car and then lift each 6" to 12" at a time. Once fully up, push into the van, tie down and off you go.
hizzi

posted on 19/4/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
speak to bannermans recovery up in tain, they do all the recovery work from the highlands going south, you may get a cheap backload out them.
there is also a car delivery website not sure what its called and folk bid on return loads etc gives them extra cash instead of running back empty

jps

posted on 19/4/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
As I have never towed a trailer before doing a 450 mile trip first time is not going to happen.[Edited on 19/4/16 by Schrodinger]

If it were me I'd seriously consider having a go - assuming you have the right licence coverage, and access to a suitable towcar. The trailer will follow you, if you secure the car properly to the trailer it won't go anywhere, you'll be driving steadily anyway - if you get stuck manouvering you can always unhitch and man-handle the trailer if needs be.....

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 19/4/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have used people off

https://www.shiply.com/

before.

I bought my current car blind and had it collected from Liverpool to me in London.

When I sold my previous car the chap who bought it in Scotland did the same.

You takes your gamble with who the driver is I guess.

1 key thing is to ensure they have insurance for what they are transporting. I am pretty sure even if you insure it first, it won't count if it is in a transporters hands. Think about where they may store it overnight, say if they collect it in the evening and do the drive the next day etc.

It is going to be a few hundred quid I should think, but then you will end up paying a lot for trailer hire for a couple of days, so depending on what you have yourself it may not be that much different.

On shiply you can put in what you need and get quotes back, nothing binding.(last time I used them anyway)

good luck!

Chris

trextr7monkey

posted on 19/4/16 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
We recently used www.anyvan.com to move a car from Cambridge to Carlisle cost just over £200 from a Polish guy with a transporter towing a trailer on his way to Scotland to buy 2 caravans to return with. Worth a look

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.