Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW --- VAG diesel buy back in USA
britishtrident

posted on 21/4/16 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
VW --- VAG diesel buy back in USA

VW are being forced to buy back up 500,000 diesel car the USA I guess they will sell them off for pennies in Mexico/South America and Africa rather than crushing them so what good will that do the environment?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
VAG can afford it, but will it trigger the same in other countries or continents? If I was VAG I'd be worried about it.

I still maintain that to compete other car makers must have been using similar tactics - will they get caught and had up for it?

VAG seem to be used as an example of this and being punished rather hard IMHO.

Slimy38

posted on 21/4/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I still maintain that to compete other car makers must have been using similar tactics - will they get caught and had up for it?

Mitsubishi are in there now, although that seems to be actual falsifying of numbers rather than using a cheat device.

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
VW practically invented the diesel car in a useable form if they can't produce a diesel that is reasonably clean who can?

[/I]

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/4/16 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Mitsubishi are in there now, although that seems to be actual falsifying of numbers rather than using a cheat device.

I read it was tyre pressures? presumably hugely over-inflated to reduce rolling resistance. No idea what else they did though.
Seems the boss was very apologetic too...

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/4/16 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
VW are being forced to buy back up 500,000 diesel car the USA I guess they will sell them off for pennies in Mexico/South America and Africa rather than crushing them so what good will that do the environment?

Another outcome is that teh Americans are so "hurt" by their car not being what they expected (yeah, all the way to the bank) that it is just the cheapest option. I am guessing they could fit a replacement ECU or reprogramme it to meet the correct targets, although at lower power and economy, and then re-flog them? Then they may save some face...

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
The main problem seems to be NOx emissions, CO or even particulate would be much easier to fix.

I was held up behind a couple of DERV 14 plate Audis occupying both lanes coming off a slow speed roundabout on a dual carriageway (Langbank on the Greenock-Glasgow road)) they were puting out noticeable grey smoke and not accelerating particularly quickly. Judging by the drivers ages I am pretty sure neither car was chipped or high mileage.

[Edited on 21/4/16 by britishtrident]

[/I]

nick205

posted on 21/4/16 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The main problem seems to be NOx emissions, CO or even particulate would be much easier to fix.

I was held up behind a couple of DERV 14 plate Audis occupying both lanes coming off a slow speed roundabout on a dual carriageway (Langbank on the Greenock-Glasgow road)) they were puting out noticeable grey smoke and not accelerating particularly quickly. Judging by the drivers ages I am pretty sure neither car was chipped or high mileage.

[Edited on 21/4/16 by britishtrident]

Having driven VAG diesels for some years it's fair to say diesel is smokey and diesel engined cars are too. Personally I prefer modern diesels to petrols for general day to day driving, they're torquey and more than quick enough as well.

morcus

posted on 21/4/16 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the big reason they got in trouble is because they were lying much more than Ford and GM with regards to diesel so the figures made VW diesel look a lot cleaner.

I Don't get why you'd buy a diesel car in America (But I'm openly not a fan of Diesel any way) I'm sure diesel is only popular here because of the current tax benefits and I'm predicting sales will drop off back towards petrol when the Tax rules change next year.

Have they said what they'll do with the cars they buy back?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/4/16 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
They are popular because of the economy, and some have tax benefits. But diesels are about 25% or so more efficient.

The economy of the small petrol turbos is just not as good as claimed when driven with anything other than a very very light foot. A matey just bout a seat leon TSi with some clever 1.4 engine. Yes, 55mpg on the motorway at 65-70, but that figure drops off pretty smartly and around town in not anything like claimed.

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
They are popular because of the economy, and some have tax benefits. But diesels are about 25% or so more efficient.

The economy of the small petrol turbos is just not as good as claimed when driven with anything other than a very very light foot. A matey just bout a seat leon TSi with some clever 1.4 engine. Yes, 55mpg on the motorway at 65-70, but that figure drops off pretty smartly and around town in not anything like claimed.

The trap is comparing MPG DERV has a higher density than petrol, if you compare kg/mile the diesel advantage is halved.
GDI closes the gap even more but GDI isn't a fully mature technology and has shown some reliability issues such as sticking valves.

[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 22/4/16 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
I could not stand diesels until maybe 15 years ago, they are light years ahead of the BMC marina taxis that used to chug around leaving clouds of black smoke behind them

I expect VW will just create a compelling part exchange scheme for affected cars then ship them off to China

tegwin

posted on 22/4/16 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how many people will actually want to take their car back? I expect most won't even care about the emissions.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/16 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I wonder how many people will actually want to take their car back? I expect most won't even care about the emissions.....

ROTF j
ust show them the money.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 22/4/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

ROTF j
ust show them the money.

[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.